Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating chicken or turkey bones? page

pucca is offline Member

eating chicken or turkey bones?

Primal Fuel
    does anyone eat either the chicken or turkey bones after making stock with them? i made stock with turkey bones - simmered them (with a little meat on them) for about 30 hours. after i strained all the bones and meat out and started eating what little meat was in there, i found that the bones were super soft and chewable and actually tasted pretty good. so i ate a lot of them and also sucked the marrow out of them. anyone else like eating the bones, and i wonder if they have much nutritional value?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Huh, never tried that before. If they were all cooked out into the stock, I can't imagine there would be a ton of nutrition left in them. But from what I her various connective tissues are good for you too, so you probably got some of that as well.

I do worry though. If cooked chicken bones are dangerous to feed to dogs and cats... Then...?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I imagine they may still contain some good minerals.

And as far as being bad for dogs and cats thats because they don't know they have to chew them thoroughly! as long as you don't swallow any big, splintery pieces I can't think it would be bad for you.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    If I'm eating chicken or turkey, I usually bite off the edge of the bone which is soft, and then suck out the marrow I can.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering about shoving the bones through the food processor with a small amount of the stock, stirring it back into the stock and continuing to cook for another hour before finally straining the stock.

The bones are so soft after 24 hours in the slow cooker with the juice of a lemon - at the very least, the marrow would then be incorporated into the stock and some minerals from the bones. Has anyone done this and does the stock taste OK with pureed bone floating about in it??

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    I have always chomped on the ends of chicken bones and broken them open and sucked out the marrow. I eat all the cartlidge bits too. Isn't that normal?
    I have done this all my life.

I didn't know they go soft after long cooking though, will be trying this out soon. Would a slow cooker be best for this?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I use a slow cooker - 24 hours or so, bay leaves, pepper corns, the juice of a lemon. And the bones go so soft they can be broken up woth two wooden spoons.

But I feel that the food processor would be faster and more efficient (fewer recalcitrant fragments of bone flying out from between two spoons!)

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I know years ago, I stopped at a gas station at about 2 a.m. and bought a huge, fried chicken breast and ate the entire thing, bones and all. Alcohol made the bones very edible.

pucca is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    I know years ago, I stopped at a gas station at about 2 a.m. and bought a huge, fried chicken breast and ate the entire thing, bones and all. Alcohol made the bones very edible.
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

pucca is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzy10 View Post
    I have always chomped on the ends of chicken bones and broken them open and sucked out the marrow. I eat all the cartlidge bits too. Isn't that normal?
    I have done this all my life.

I didn't know they go soft after long cooking though, will be trying this out soon. Would a slow cooker be best for this?
    i put about 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar in when i started, just simmered on the stove for 30 hrs or so, and by the time it was done, the bones would almost melt in my mouth. no splinters, no need to chew that well, although i did. i imagine these bones would be safe to give to cats and dogs.
    i'm sure a slow cooker would do a fine job too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast