Thread: going Primal while Pregnant page

euniceqs is offline Junior Member

going Primal while Pregnant

HI everyone!
    I have just been introduced to this site and Mark's blog. I wonder if a woman can go primal in early pregnancy. Assuming there are no health issues and person is otherwise in ok health.
    Thanks.
    E

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Yes, eat lots of veggies, fruits and meats. There is no reason it is not healthy for you to eat this way while pregnant.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Nina Planck has some very good info. I cruised through these books during my "learning how to be a good daddy" reading phase.

http://www.ninaplanck.com/books.html

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Going primal should give your baby optimal vitamins and minerals while reducing your chances of gestational diabetes. I described it to my obstetricians and they were very supportive.

(now if only my messed-up pregnancy appetite and food texture issues would let me go as fully primal as I'd like! But every bit helps. Dodged gestational diabetes this time too, not starchaterian like last pregnancy.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    I did very well eating this way through my third pregnancy, and avoided having to take diabetes medication.

If there is any way around it at all, skip the gestational diabetes test. It's enough glucose to make you sick and some believe, to induce gestational diabetes.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    There is some archaeological evidence of paleolithic women eating lots of wheat and corn and soy products and processed vegetable oils immediately upon becoming pregnant. Your guess is as good as mine.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great to go Primal now--also researchers are recommending a Vitamin D supplement right away (4,000-5,000 IUs daily for most folks) and get your levels tested soon. More info here.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    If I was pregnant I would seriously consider supplementing choline as it appears to be very significant in brain development:
    HEALTH & LONGEVITY: Prenatal Choline For A Smarter Baby and Adult

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks like they followed up on that later and, at least so far, haven't seen a correlation in humans:
    Choline concentrations in human maternal and cord blood and intelligence at 5 y of age

That said, it appears to be safe to supplement. Now I wish I had taken it (along with a few other things) when pregnant with my first daughter -- I had major aversion to eggs and meat and it was problematic, so I bet my choline levels were low.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."