Page 6 of 250 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 6

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good luck with the challenge. And I hope you don't need any luck!

Rgarding the "before" photo, no need to post it; if your after pic later is a contrast AND you feel like sharing, then that'd be when to post. But a lonely before pic? No point...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    thanks. i cruised by both your journals last night. good luck to you as well, that salad looked delicious!
    not sure if i'm posting a "before" pic even if there's a contrast- i guess i'm just vain that way.

(begin general journal whinage)
    it's going to be really hard to stay satiated without dairy. most of the time i have no issues with satiety in the morning because i have 500 cal from fat in my coffee. i've had 500 calories this morning, but it's mostly protein and carbs (mostly protein). i don't really like bacon, and avocados are really expensive ($1-1.50ea). i don't really like coconut oil or coconut manna, nuts are out, and i don't really want to chug olive oil. yeah, bitch and moan, i'm sure i'll figure out something (like shelling out more $$ for avocados even though $$ is already a point of contention here).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-02-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Hooboy, yeah, I have the same concerns about dairy. That's my #1 carb source right now, liquid milk. (I have some greek yogurt too.) For so long now I've been quaffing milk as a protein source... gotta work around that.

To get more oil in I use a LOT of olive oil on my salad every day. I know that's not for everybody, though! What about the coconut oil that doesn't taste like coconut? Ghee? (I guess that's dairy, but it's not as milky...)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

not much of a salad fan during the winter. i bought a ton of avocados, so i guess we're going that route. i also bought chicken wings (not seasoned, just plain raw), which i intend to cook in a lot of olive oil. i purchased some bacon- i'll make baconnaise from the drippings in two weeks when/if i add egg back in my diet. i can then use the bacconaise as a vegetable dip. i don't think dairy is actually a problem, but it's in the 30-day thing so i'll give it a try. i'm sure i'll add high-fat dairy back full force in february. i'm not a fan of the deodorized coconut oil- i know some people here on the forums are okay with it, but it's a little too processed for my preference. maybe it's more of a texture thing anyway, or maybe it's due to the lack of salt (haha, or maybe the other associations i have with it). i've never used butter to *ahem* aid in marital relations (haha), but coconut oil is another story.

------
    post-dinner, here are my macro-intakes for the day. can you tell i just bought groceries?
    2,576 calories
    179.7 g fat
    123.5 g carbs
    141.9 g protein

yeah, i pigged out a little at dinner. oink, oink. i guess it's time to get serious about restricting carbs.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.

karlin is offline Junior Member
    Hey!

Can I ask why you are cutting out eggs? I just added them back into my diet (if I am dairy free they don't bother me as much), but will have to cut them out again soon I think.

I am not doing the whole 30, but I'm about 95% right now anyway.

When I first when paleo about 2 years ago, getting enough fat was always a concern. I ended up eating a lot of bacon (I still do) and avocados. I notice a big difference when I cut out dairy in my appetite too, and it takes away a lot of convenience snack foods. I find if I eat a really fatty breakfast, the rest of the day is easier. Bacon, sausage, and hashed yams fried in the grease is my favorite.

Oh, I have some more buffalo/elk/venison if you'd like it. A pound of the lean stuff mixed with a pound of pork makes great meatballs.

oh that's funny, i didn't realize it was you until i had read about 1/2 of your reply.
    i'm cutting out eggs because if i eat more than a few at a time i feel sick (so i want to see if cutting them out completely will effect any changes). other than that, if i say "no" to eggs as well as cashew butter then i'm significantly less likely to eat the kids' banana pancakes in the morning. sure, i'd love more meat! whatever you prefer to give us. we want to get together sometime to do something fun, maybe next weekend would work out? maybe i'll have the toy room organized and cleaned by that time!

oy, i didn't know there were so many carbs in an avocado! 22g in 1 1/2 avocados. it brings my carb consumption up from 20ish to 40ish today, and i haven't hit the carb cravings yet that usually occur later in the day. no sweet potato for me tonight.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.

karlin is offline Junior Member
    A get together would be fun. We were sick most of xmas break and didn't get to see anyone. I also want to have a party for my 2 year paleoversary on the 22nd. The kid wants to go sledding soon too. I'm hoping for tomorrow after school, but maybe Thursday if there is any snow left. My sister will arrive in a few days, so no more party house.

HUNGRY!!! i can't think of anything to eat except meat. and i don't really want to eat meat again.
    I skimmed the cream off the top of my can of coconut milk, added cocoa powder, vanilla, and a tsp of maple syrup. Mmmm...mostly fat, just a few carbs, and it's highly doubtful i'll eat it all tonight. the rest is waiting for me in the freezer for the next time i get hungry.
    78.9g carb (includes 30.4g fiber)
    116.7 g protein

protein might be a little high. supposedly my lean mass is 85ish lbs, so my protein intake should be 60-85 g/day. if i'm eating 2200 cal per day, and 70% is fat, i should consume 172g fat/day. 90g protein=360 cal=17% of calories. that leaves 75g carbs, which would equal 13% of daily consumption. for anyone lurking, i'm not the type to freak out about this sort of stuff so please don't think that i'm stressing over the numbers; it's just nice to see them so i have a loosely-defined goal. oh, and i'm not counting calories per se, 2200cal is right around where i usually feel satiated without feeling stuffed. i will eat as many as a i damn-well please.

pushups, level 3- 50 incline pushups (i did one "real" pushup as well)
    squat, level 4- 50 squats
    overhead press, level 1- 1 set of 20, 1 set of 25 elevated jack knife press
    plank, level 4- 90 sec forearm-feet plank. that tired me out so i skipped the forearm-knee side planks. i know, i'm a wuss.

so here's a before:

IMGP2917 by SaoirseCaesar, on Flickr

you can tell there's a little muscle in there, somewhere...
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-03-2011 at 11:48 PM.

two lessons learned last night: do NOT stay up until 2 am. and save your carbs until late evening. baby awoke as i was crawling into bed, and he nursed literally from 2-3:30ish, around which time i became really frustrated and brought him out of bed. the rest of the night went something like that, with me crawling out of bed around 9 am. i will take a nap today. i don't know the exact cause of his nursiness, but there are lots of possibilities. he just started crawling a week ago, so he might be needing more energy, or could be reacting to the newness of exploration. he's also cutting a tooth, so that might have been it. or maybe he's fighting off a sore throat. or maybe he's responding to my lower-carb diet. tonight, i will try to go to bed before midnight, and eat some carbs not too long before bed (within the context of a filling meal). i'm also thirsty as hell.

1.5 hours of nursing? Yow. I am really glad my girl is consistently efficient so far. (although she will come back for seconds 20 minutes later, at least I got a break!)

Wouldn't surprise me if it's related to his crawling, yeah (and congrats on the milestone, Baby S.!)

So you think carbs latenight would've helped you with that?

Page 6 of 250 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast