Page 55 of 250 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 55

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Zhen de. Wo hui shuo yi dian putonghua. Hen gao xin, danshi yao xuexi hen duo. ("Indeed. I can speak a little Mandarin. [I'm] glad I can but I want to learn more.")

My grammar sucks but I'm good at flexing what I know to fit what I need. Bring on the Chinese hordes!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    heh, yeah i was thinking mandarin is the wave of the future. i'm also told it's one of the hardest major languages to learn. maybe i should learn spanish and then second (or thirdish, since i already know a bit of german) could be mandarin. heh, sounds a little ambitious. but maybe i will. i'm sure there are places online that you can go and actually speak another language with someone for practice.

a friend gave me this little idea yesterday:

"imagine that at any moment, one foot is stepping in squishy dog poo. but in your hand is a delicious ice cream cone (or ribeye steak, chocolate flourless torte, whatever). are you going to choose to savor the ice cream, or the poo?"

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    heh, yeah i was thinking mandarin is the wave of the future. i'm also told it's one of the hardest major languages to learn. maybe i should learn spanish and then second (or thirdish, since i already know a bit of german) could be mandarin. heh, sounds a little ambitious. but maybe i will. i'm sure there are places online that you can go and actually speak another language with someone for practice.
    Mandarin is not just the language of the future is the language to know at this moment. China is booming (although there are good arguments they are running against time in terms of their current energy plans). I'm unemployed and the number of jobs I would qualify except for speaking Mandarin are huge. It's difficult though. A good friend who grew up in Hong Kong and thus speaks Cantonese (?) believes he could not become fluent quickly. Terrifying.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

what field is your line of work?

I honestly don't find Chinese that difficult as a language. English is easily 10x harder, as are French and the other Romantic languages. There are very very few exceptions in Chinese. There are also no articles, tenses or numerous other parts of speech we think we need but don't. That said, while it's pretty easy to attain a basic conversational ability, it's very hard to master (like most things I suppose).

Going from Cantonese to Mandarin would definitely be a bitch, though. At least the written language is already a done deal for your friend.

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    My brother in law is well versed in several languages as he is in the importing/exporting business. Native tongue is English, he also speaks Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese and French. The most difficult to learn he said was Japanese. French was his minor in college.
    Georgette

eating grapefruit while watching "mystery science theater 3000".

btw jenny, i trimmed my hair today. didn't turn out too badly.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 08-02-2011 at 09:41 PM.

MST3K rules. I used to love that show as a kid. Think I need to download some and see if a friend's up for some nostalgic fun!

I think it's better with friends. and beer.