Page 41 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 41

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Definitely agree with Mrs. Canio, the Twilight series sucks ass. I read the first 2 and was BEGGING for someone to off Bella for being an annoying whiny bitch. Needless to say, never finished the series. Percey Jackson is a good read though. Holes is also another good read in the juvenile genre.
    Georgette

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    I watched the first Twilight movie, definitely wasn't a motivating factor to read the books. If Bella is half as whiny and annoying in the books as she was in the movie, I'd have to agree with you. I like strong female characters.

So i jumped on the scale this morning just out of curiosity, and i lost another 3 lbs!! I'm only 4 lbs heavier now than i was 8 years ago before my first pregnancy. Okay, i know that my weight will probably go back up a little, i'm probably a little dehydrated. but it still perks me up a little.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    1) A Wizard of Earthsea (Le Guin) -- light, awesome, classic, and not that long
    Sorry Patrick, but A Wizard of Earthsea was straight up balls. It was terrible. Well, to be fair it was "OMG this is like something that started the genre so it must be good" but by any neutral standard is straight up crap.

Le Guin does win all kinds of awards though so perhaps her newer stuff doesn't blow. I just have not been able to rouse any interest since reading Wizard.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I don't think we can be internet friends anymore, canio6. You've wounded me, sir -- to the core.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't think we can be internet friends anymore, canio6. You've wounded me, sir -- to the core.
    Words like this make baby jebus cry, and you wouldn't want that now would you?

The book is a classic. I will give you that. I just went in with far too high of an expectation. It is like reading old sci-fi, yes, they built the foundation, they are very important, but no one wants to look at a concrete slab forever and say, "Well, this is as good as it gets."
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I watched the first Twilight movie, definitely wasn't a motivating factor to read the books. If Bella is half as whiny and annoying in the books as she was in the movie, I'd have to agree with you. I like strong female characters.

So i jumped on the scale this morning just out of curiosity, and i lost another 3 lbs!! I'm only 4 lbs heavier now than i was 8 years ago before my first pregnancy. Okay, i know that my weight will probably go back up a little, i'm probably a little dehydrated. but it still perks me up a little.
    A little perk is better than none at all!
    Georgette

yes, though i knew it couldn't last. i weighed myself less than two hours after and i had GAINED 4 lbs. pfft...whatever scale. my ass still looks hot.

i searched through some of the books we have in storage and ran across this one: the 2004 Nebula Awards Showcase. it's a comp of short stories. this should hold me over until the next time we run to the library. canio- i'd like to try the rick rheorden suggestion a try too. i love mythology and my kids just aren't getting into it yet. if that doesn't work, i'll lay off of it for a few years and try again.

patrick: "wizard of earthsea"= fantasy? i'm more into fantasy than sci-fi, but i'll take either.

oh, i forgot to mention. i made yogurt in the crockpot yesterday and it was sooo easy, even easier than the yogurt maker. i will definitely do this on a regular basis. so now i have homemade yogurt in the fridge, and some straining for greek-style yogurt. much cheaper than greek god's, and the milk was local.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 07-06-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    "A Wizard of Earthsea" is fantasy.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i have to say that i found the twilight books at just the right time. i had a new born, my whole family seemed to go nuts, and it was an easy,light, and simple page-turner. between that and harry potter, i managed to get through months of marathon nursing and abject loneliness. LOL I like book one and four. two was horrid, and three was ok. with harry, i start with three and up. one and two are only so-so to me.

i love the percey jackson series, too, can't believe i didn't mention it. I also have several other collections that I like -- but they're more grown up.

There's the Snow Queen/Summer Queen pairing. It's sci=fi-ish. uhm, what's another. Right, historical fiction/romance -- Gabaldon's Outlander series. Addictive. I have to read the Clan of the Cave Bear series slowly because i find it's too dense. So, one of those, then another book in another genre, and then back to the next book. I can't read that series straight.

There are others. Can't think of any more off the top of my head. (oh, and I dislike the twilight movies. the first one is "ok" but after that, it's a sad rush job of film making, and I don't know how they managed to even make 2. bleh).

uh-oh, i'm a real sucker for historical fiction, especially if it's romance. i get you on the marathon nursing/crappy book thing. that's when i read most of jane austen's books, and some newer romance/drama-type books such as eleanor of aquitaine and memoirs of a geisha. i read thomas hardy throughout middle and high school, after i got over my morose infatuation with reading about WWII internment camps and the french resistance.