Page 221 of 250 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 221

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    sorry i've been away. busy with schoolwork, walking the dog 1-2X/day, stuff like that. as he becomes more accustomed to us, certain behaviors are sort of cropping up. he doesn't poo in just one area, so we'll have to train him to do that. once in a while, he bites my hand or wrist. it's a gentle bite, i can't tell if it's playful or assertion of dominance. either way, i correct it with a firm "No" and then ignore him for a few minutes. there are a few other little behaviors, such as grabbing a kids' toy and walking off like he's going to chew. i had to dig a Lego out of his mouth a few times. Hmm...a thought. if i take a toy away and then say "No", am i actually telling him that he shouldn't let me have the toy, or do you think he's smart enough to know that i'm talking about the toy itself? maybe i should say "no", then take the toy.

unsuperb, were you implying Cesar Millan? I've read one of his books, and found it interesting but lacking practical advice. I didn't see him advocating much physical correction, mostly psychological. I should check out the other author suggested, Mcconnell? maybe that was someone IRL who suggested her.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I think the dog will learn the difference between his toys and the kids pretty quickly. Right now he's just testing the boundaries just like any kids learning. Taking the toy away with an no in any order should work. Maybe get a basket for his toys and take him to his basket anytime you take a toy away so that he learns that those are his to chew on. As for the mouthing, he'll probably stop quickly since you don't seem to feed into it (ignoring him is really effective). Since he can't ask you about the rules, he has no choice but to try new things to see what is or isn't allowed. Just like face licking. I hate it and my dogs learned early on not to do it.

so you don't think it's a sign that he's going to turn into a man-eating beast, right? it's amazing to me how much more serious dog ownership is as an adult than it was as a kid. as a kid, dogs would play bite and i thought they were playing so i'd get more rough. as a parent, i'm all "OMGZ he's going to eat my face whilst i sleep!" well sort of. emotionally i'm just calm, intellectually i'm wondering if it's a warning sign. i just need to chillax. i also hate face licking. "dude you just licked your balls. oh don't pretend you didn't! i saw you!" thankfully, he usually only licks hands and such.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    sorry i've been away. busy with schoolwork, walking the dog 1-2X/day, stuff like that. as he becomes more accustomed to us, certain behaviors are sort of cropping up. he doesn't poo in just one area, so we'll have to train him to do that. once in a while, he bites my hand or wrist. it's a gentle bite, i can't tell if it's playful or assertion of dominance. either way, i correct it with a firm "No" and then ignore him for a few minutes. there are a few other little behaviors, such as grabbing a kids' toy and walking off like he's going to chew. i had to dig a Lego out of his mouth a few times. Hmm...a thought. if i take a toy away and then say "No", am i actually telling him that he shouldn't let me have the toy, or do you think he's smart enough to know that i'm talking about the toy itself? maybe i should say "no", then take the toy.

unsuperb, were you implying Cesar Millan? I've read one of his books, and found it interesting but lacking practical advice. I didn't see him advocating much physical correction, mostly psychological. I should check out the other author suggested, Mcconnell? maybe that was someone IRL who suggested her.
    I was implying him. His show is where it becomes more of a gong show. Patricia McConnell is someone who I've heard a lot of good things about.

Teaching "Leave it" might be better than simply "no" as it becomes more of a direct thing (and also can be given pre-emptively) and not so vague. And teaching "Drop it" once he does have something he shouldn't have (easy way to do this is exchange with a toy he can have).

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i also hate face licking. "dude you just licked your balls. oh don't pretend you didn't! i saw you!"
    Superb.

On the plus side you don't have to worry about picking up food that's fallen on the floor. Or if your wee boy gets mess on his face....
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

yes, that's one of the benefits of big dog ownership. we just have to be careful with chocolate and xylitol-containing foods.

sooo...he jumped the fence. context: the kids play in a neighbor's yard with their kids, and he really wanted to join. the neighbors were cool about it, and luckily their dog was indoors so it basically was a non-event. i tried coaxing him back into our yard and he wouldn't go, so i just picked him up. there are very small yappy, semi-aggressive dogs on two sides of our yard, and the third side is an unfenced yard belonging to a neighbor who's a bit sheepish about big dogs. this is a 4 foot privacy fence, and unfortunately we just don't have the $1k+ to replace it with a 6 ft. privacy fence. he's almost never alone in the yard anyway, so i think we can just trudge along like this until we can afford a new one, but just another thing for me to worry about.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 09-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    A cheaper solutiion for fence that isn't high enough is to get some wire fencing. The stuff that has strong wire and like 2x3 in openings and is meant to be used with T-bar. You can get it in 5 ft widths, but even 3-4 ft should work for you as you only want to make your fence a little taller. It also is not very noticable. It can be attached with those u shaped nails and brace it every 8 ft or so (so that it doesn't sag over). It will also make it so that the kids can't climb the fence either and will have to walk around the block to play with the neighbors. If you get the electronic fence (it uses a shock collar) the dog will supposedly learn his limits. I say supposedly becasue some dogs will take the shock to get free every time (our huskies for example that we eventually had to re-home as they got out and started causing trouble with the neighbors). Another solution would be to keep him on a leash when he is out back so that he can not escape, but this also does not work well if there are many obstacles for him to wrap himself around in your yard. Good luck - I'm sure you are a bit stressed about this! Since you know he is now interested in a little wondering (and has figured out he can escape), make sure you have a tag with your name and number on it and introduce him to your neighbors so that they can call you should they see him out.

thank you. i'll consider the fence extension. on the bright side, there is never really a time when he has to be outside without an adult, so we let him wander the yard and just pay attention to him. it takes him quite a bit of effort to get over the fence, so as long as one of us is in the backyard we have time to prevent escape.

he met his first dog on a walk today. we've walked past dogs but i've never let him get close. this woman was quite friendly and open to it, and her mini australian shepherd was obviously well-behaved so we let them meet. it went well, if they weren't on leashes im sure they would've run and play together. also, i brought him to a pet store yesterday. other than a lot of excitement, distraction and pulling, that also went smoothly.

primal stuff:
    walking twice per day; 1 hour this morning. food has been primal, with a little debauchery here and there.

aww guys i had to share this pic with you!

DSCN0010.jpg

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    D'aww, that is so much cute and ridiculous-ness