Page 15 of 250 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 15

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    P.S.: That actually IS what he's doing, through the assumption that he should have unlimited free time to game in the evenings. He is, functionally speaking, delegating everything that needs to be done during those hours to you -- AND not accompanying or assisting you with it -- AND not ensuring that you get free time of your own.

Similarly, there's the assumption that not socializing with you is the default state.

It just doesn't feel like he's telling you what to do because you're used to it and because it hasn't been explicitly stated.

(Hope I'm not adding to your discontent by pointing this out... it's just my take on it based on what you've said. But perhaps some of these ideas will help you make your point to him...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    I haven't been keeping up in your journal. It sounds like you're a gaming widow, just from reading this page. My sympathies. The only thing that cured my dh from that was being too busy to game. (School, fulltime job, another hobby...)

I just came here to tell you I like your new avatar. You're beautiful!
    I used to be a gaming widow. i'm not really so much anymore. he does help with the kids, and last night he made dinner (though this is very very rare). after i've finished making dinner, he comes to help feed the kids and sit with us, and he also directs the kids in their bedtime routine (which usually includes a story or a book). he has been so overworked lately (he worked over 60 hours last week, and he's salaried so this isn't helping our financial situation at all, plus without going into detail there are some issues at work that are making low pay+long hours worse) that i think he's escaping in that game, and getting lost in the process.

Thank you herbwifemama, you've made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Similarly, there's the assumption that not socializing with you is the default state.

It just doesn't feel like he's telling you what to do because you're used to it and because it hasn't been explicitly stated.
    these two points are thought-provoking. there was a point in time when i literally felt like a single mother. he was providing no income, very little emotional support, and no help, so we've come a long way. his view of "normal" life seems to include little social interaction or time outside the home, and very little spending of money beyond the basics (food, gas, utilities, etc.) when i tell him that i need some spare time, he counters that he doesn't get to go out either (which isn't really true- he doesn't CHOOSE to go out- this might have to do with being out at work all day). anyway, i appreciate the responses, and i'm going to continue to think about your advice.

bills this month haven't left much room for groceries so i'm going to try to IF today. i had a decent breakfast, and i might have some very low-carb snacks (so not truly IFing). payday is friday...

anyone have ideas on how to cook mushy ground turkey in an appealing way?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Ahh, so there is some balance there. That's positive. It does sound like he's having a rough time, and some of that rough time is translating its way over to you as a result.

I didn't think I was necessarily on-target but anything that gives food for thought is hopefully helpful! Even if in the end you decide, "Nah, that's really not it."

Yikes, feeling obliged to IF to save money is a little scary. But if you're already in an IF-able mood, that's different I suppose.

Ground turkey... how about soup? Broth + diced veggies (celery + carrot + onions), cook till veggies are done, then throw in the ground turkey and break it up? This stew is basically one of my staple foods. Not always turkey, usually ground beef plus either turkey or chicken.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

we have food, we're just low on meat and low-carb veggies. i decided to put some groceries on credit, and wound up eating some cassava chips. somehow that was a logical decision when i was at the store.

your suggestions were on target, i'm just not sure how to implement them in a way that doesn't disturb family harmony. hence, i need to meditate on them a little more.

i don't really have any soup veggies on hand right now (we had soup two nights ago). i sortof think i can figure something out. i mixed the turkey with some herbs, spices and bacon grease, then flattened onto the bottom of a pyrex pan. it's in the oven right now, and when it's mostly cooked i'm going to throw something on top of it. i'm not sure what yet, if i had some cheese i would try meatza. i might cover it in sauce and sliced, oil-coated zucchini.

we have veggies and a little meat in the house, but i'm really craving berries right now. i hadn't realized how often i have been eating them until i ran out. i just ordered a case of blackberries from the coop- 1.91/half pint. they're not organic, but this price really beats the $3/half pint sale i get at the grocery store.

How'd the turkey turn out?

I love berries. We get a great deal at our local asian market -- $2/lb for blueberries. And they're really consistently good quality, too! Compare that with $5/pint at other local stores. And yeah, blackberries around here are much more per pint than you're quoting above, so that sounds great.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Wow, $2/lb, that's an amazing price!

it turned out okay; it was edible and there were no leftovers. the Parmesan on top of the zucchini was yummy- it tasted a bit like a light breading. i think i'll make meatza with the other package, after we buy some cheese.

I've found frozen before at Whole Foods for $2/lb, which is pretty good too in the absence of fresh berries. They're not mushy at all, my kid eats them just as readily as the fresh ones. Just need a rinse to get the juice off, really.

we don't have a whole foods around here. i can order frozen blueberries for around $3/10oz bag, and they are fantastic, but still pretty expensive. once in a while, we'll have a really great deal on fresh. a few summers ago, i was able to buy fresh organic blueberries for $.66/ half pint. i bought two cases (24 half pints), froze a bunch, ate a bunch, and made a dozen jars of the best blueberry jam ever.

Play:
    my son bought himself a new nerf gun today (with saved allowance) so the kids and i had a nerf-gun war. my son loves to run around the house collecting everyone else's fired bullets until he has ALL of the ammo. then he'll shoot us one by one.

after the kids were in bed, i put on my sansa clip mp3 player and did a little bodyweight exercising. it has been too long; i could only do one deep pushup- the rest were a little wimpy as i couldn't go beyond the 90 degree angle. afterward, i danced for half an hour to Jes. baby was still asleep, and hubby was still downstairs playing games, so i played my violin for a short time. i need to find one specific song to work on. when i play, i jump around through several fun, easy songs, and then end up feeling like the time was wasted because i couldn't actually perform any of these songs (too short and simplistic). i'd like to start building my repertoire a little more. an acquaintance approached me the other day and asked if i'd consider playing fiddle with her husband in a local folk band. i've heard them play, and they have a really nice energy to them. i'd LOVE to do this, but i'm inexperienced in folk music (my experience comes from written music, though my technique is sloppy) and i'm chickenshit in general. i'm just unsure of how to cross over from classical to folk...

eating was decent today, though maybe a little low-protein and higher-carb. we had meatza for dinner and lots of blackberries throughout the day. oh, and whole-fat cottage cheese. Mmmm...