Page 147 of 250 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 147

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i like picking apart dining out meals too. unfortunately, that does not translate to "i can season food well." the actual cooking part, i'm good at. if we were FB friends, you could troll my food pics from past holidays. nothing too complex, but simple meals carried out well. alfredo, i can do. i usually add some freshly grated nutmeg and a tiny dash of cayenne. hadn't thought about nutmeg and greens, i'll have to try that soon. when i cook greens, i usually chop the spines first and throw them in the pan to cook a little while i chop the leaves, but i usually do cook them quite a bit in maybe 1/2 inch of water. mesquite- i have some liquid smoke, is that close enough? the cauliflower is frozen stuff; i know not that great but it saves me enough hassle in the morning that i don't mind so much. my breakfast is usually one of three that i make every morning (or two, depending on how you count it).

how do you make caesar dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i like picking apart dining out meals too. unfortunately, that does not translate to "i can season food well." the actual cooking part, i'm good at. if we were FB friends, you could troll my food pics from past holidays. nothing too complex, but simple meals carried out well. alfredo, i can do. i usually add some freshly grated nutmeg and a tiny dash of cayenne. hadn't thought about nutmeg and greens, i'll have to try that soon. when i cook greens, i usually chop the spines first and throw them in the pan to cook a little while i chop the leaves, but i usually do cook them quite a bit in maybe 1/2 inch of water. mesquite- i have some liquid smoke, is that close enough? the cauliflower is frozen stuff; i know not that great but it saves me enough hassle in the morning that i don't mind so much. my breakfast is usually one of three that i make every morning (or two, depending on how you count it).

how do you make caesar dressing?
    PM'd you my info if you want to hook up on FB.

Yeah, I add nutmeg to my Alfredo, and sometimes some cayenne too. I generally like heat, so sriracha and cayenne and dried peppers and various other heat sources are at hand at all times...

If you cut the spines first (1/4") they cook faster - good idea to cook them before the leaves though.

Liquid smoke is OK, but it's kind of strong. I got some powdered mesquite stuff that Costco sells, and a little goes a long way, but easier to control the intensity.

Frozen is cheaper, but it's not so difficult to chop a head of cauli, right? But yeah, sounds like you're spending a lot of time in the kitchen.

Caesar dressing: in a bigassed bowl, add 1 egg yolk, a dash of Worcestershire, 1 clove of minced garlic (or in my case, 2-3), and mash in 4 anchovies (or in my case, 8 or so). Add the juice of half a lemon and let the fishies swim in it. Drizzle in a very good olive oil - depending on how you like your oil to acid ratio, about as much as the starting liquid or maybe a little more. Shave in some good aged Parm, a nice handful, and mix in. Sometimes I vary it with some chopped fresh tarrgon or some capers, but I'm just a hound for tarragon in salads in the summer, literally obsessed. Add in your Romaine, tomatoes, and whatever else floats your boat - chicken, shrimp, more 'chovies (yes, please!), strips of beef, hard boiled eggs.

Salad Nicoise is another good one, I dig the shit out of a good Nicoise, especially if I have a slab of tuna hot off the grill with a little applewood smoke...

hmmm...caesar dressing sounds interesting, i've probably never had it fresh. i have to admit, i'm a little afraid of the tiny fishies, but maybe i'll try it out sometime. my 5 year loves 'em though. sometimes i buy a little jar of "tiny fish" and she eats it with a fork. she also likes sardines. maybe i should be growing tarragon this year! does it taste much different dried vs. fresh? it seems there are a few herbs which aren't bad dried, such as oregano; others must be fresh, such as parsley, basil, and cilantro.

i did a little yoga last night: cobra, marichi (sort of) on both sides, downward dog, child's pose, and a few others in an attempt to relax my lower back. i also massaged my piriformis and glutes with a tennis ball. it worked, but now i feel old and most of that stress moved up to my shoulders. i should probably chug water today, and try out fish pose.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    hmmm...caesar dressing sounds interesting, i've probably never had it fresh. i have to admit, i'm a little afraid of the tiny fishies, but maybe i'll try it out sometime. my 5 year loves 'em though. sometimes i buy a little jar of "tiny fish" and she eats it with a fork. she also likes sardines. maybe i should be growing tarragon this year! does it taste much different dried vs. fresh? it seems there are a few herbs which aren't bad dried, such as oregano; others must be fresh, such as parsley, basil, and cilantro.

i did a little yoga last night: cobra, marichi (sort of) on both sides, downward dog, child's pose, and a few others in an attempt to relax my lower back. i also massaged my piriformis and glutes with a tennis ball. it worked, but now i feel old and most of that stress moved up to my shoulders. i should probably chug water today, and try out fish pose.
    Just have to watch adding too much salt, with the fishies. When they're mashed, they add a base flavor that's all umame, not so much "fish." But I love anchovies. If you have pasta or PB pasta subs, puttanesca is just soooo good, IMO. Yes, fresh tarragon is a thousand percent better than dried. Great in dressings and eggs, just makes everything bright. There are some good dried herbs, but I don't usually buy dried parsley, basil, or cilantro. Just me.

You feel old? You suck, LOL! I'll show you old! I should try yoga again, did some Kundalini yoga and really enjoyed it.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Did anybody else have Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events pop into their head at the mention of puttanesca? Please tell me I'm not the only one. Not that it would be, ah, a su-preese!

*wipes drool off my keyboard* I need to start taking notes, but I'm being lazy. I'll be back later when I'm feeling less lazy- I need all the cooking tips I can get
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

i *feel* old because of all the crap released from my muscles last night; sort of flu-like. hopefully it will dissipate soon. i love dried tarragon, definitely need to get some tarragon seeds. i should join a yoga class; it's so much better than trying to get the form right by myself. there was a free class during the week held by my school. hopefully it will start up again in the fall, and i should have childcare by that time. it's kind of silly how many yoga teachers i know personally and i still don't practice it that much. i think there's even a free yoga event in the park every weekend; but my husband's ex-boss attends so i usually avoid it.

sorry drssgchic. i did not. but i've only seen the movie once and never read the books; i don't even remember the mention of puttanesca.

i was hungry again shortly after breakfast so the littlest one and i ate an orange and a bunch of strawberries. still hungry, and a little bit of a sugar high, so we ate some yogurt with more strawberries. just out of curiosity, i plugged my foods into spark people. here are the macros so far:

1166 calories 91g carbs 70g fat 58 g protein

so it looks like i need more meat and more veggies! i need to buy some sweet potatoes, these low-starch vegetables just aren't keeping me satiated. on the up side, i've already surpassed my RDA for magnesium and potassium! surprisingly, my 3 cups of chard is just as carby as the large orange (22g carb each).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    The Lemony Snicket books are really fun. My son and I especially liked listening to the audio version read by Tim Curry.

FW: I completely agree about Alfredo Sauce WTH is so hard about making a decent one? Same goes with Carbonera. Last year we went to a restaurant and there was nothing on the menu that appealed to DH so I suggested he get the Pasta Carbonara, thinking what could go wrong; bacon, egg and good Parmesan on top of supposedly house made pasta. When it came DH said it wasn't very good, but we kind of ignored him, I just thought well it's probably different from mine. Finally I tasted it and it was just bacon and salt and way too much butter. You'd think if the restaurant brags about their house made pasta they would at least know what to do with it.

We almost never go out to eat around here. I used to do the catering at the nicest restaurant in our area so I know from first hand experience that dinner at our house is better. Their food is pretty good but boy is expensive, for that kind of money I want to be impressed not just have a meal that is competently executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    for that kind of money I want to be impressed not just have a meal that is competently executed.
    +1 although sometimes it's nice to eat when someone else has cooked. there is a restaurant in town which serves consistently great food, but the average entree is $25-30 for maybe 300 calories of food. we do have a few interesting restaurants that have popped up in the past year or so, including one which makes buttery pastries freshly every morning.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think it would be harder to stay on the primal path if we lived where there were good restaurants and bakeries. I just love to eat good food so it's probably just as well there is nothing here to tempt me. Next month DH and I will be going to the city (about 3 hrs away) to see his doctors, we have to stay overnight because his appointment is early in the morning so we usually like to go to a nice restaurant while we are there. There are so many good places it's hard to choose.