Page 143 of 250 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 143

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    yesterday i think i reached my "9 cups of veg" goal: 3 cups of rainbow chard, 2 cups of cauliflower, 1 cup red bell peppers...hmm...i wonder how many strawberries were in that ice cream. oh yeah, i finished the rainbow chard at dinner so that was another 3 cups.

so far today, i'm behind. i just had a kale/cauli mix that was around 3 cups, and i'm chowing on more bell pepper. so that's maybe 5 cups total (it's a big pepper). there's sweet potato coming up, and i also ate maybe 2/3 of a cantaloupe earlier. so maybe i'm not too far behind. i also had a ton of chocolate and ice cream, so all in all not the best food day. but it could be a lot worse; i'm probably making my goal today. still no offal, because really that's awful. though the meat i ate was processed (bratwurst and now organic lil'smokies) so maybe i'm eating more offal than i intended? i should break out the chicken stock from the freezer. i'll probably also have some sort of decadent treat after the kids go to bed, because i've been in a way-too-serious mood today.

well that's not usually quoted by spambots.

breakfast: steak with bbq sauce (shut up, it's delicious!) and bacon, an orange, angel food cake. the cake needed a little sugar but was absolutely delicious. kids gave it "100 thumbs up." not sure what we'll do today, maybe go to the park or something. i need to remember to call my mommy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    breakfast: steak with bbq sauce (shut up, it's delicious!) and bacon, an orange, angel food cake. the cake needed a little sugar but was absolutely delicious. kids gave it "100 thumbs up." not sure what we'll do today, maybe go to the park or something. i need to remember to call my mommy.
    That is a completely legitimate breakfast!
    I always put a schmear of BBQ sauce (with a bit of chipotle spice kick) on my burgers)... why not steak too! And bacon is always legit.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

one of my favorite restaurant meals is a 1/2 lb hamburger (bunless of course) with BBQ sauce, jalapenos, white cheddar, and bacon. you can get a side of sweet potato fries, but i usually opt for the white potato fries.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i always love breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    so i want to try Dr. Terry Wahl's protocol for MS. it's going to be a challenge because i'm lazy and it involves a lot of vegetables (more prep). she recommends 3 cups of greens per day (mentioning only kale, but i'm going to pretend that swiss chard , spinach, and romaine are included); 3 cups of sulfur-veg per day (onions, mushrooms, cruciferous, leeks, garlic), and 3 cups of other veg and berries (make sure to include 3 vibrant colors). the vegetables aren't going to be the hard part;
    She seems awesome. 9 cups just seems to much though. It (almost) precludes meat from the diet, and that seems all kinds of wrong. How much meat do you eat with your veges?

i don't want to eat offal, but that's part of the guidelines. eww!! also, i should be eating seaweed at least once a week. i like seaweed, so not a problem. maybe so the iodine comes in daily doses, i'll just eat a little seaweed every morning. the only issue is my concern over radioactive seaweed; not sure if that's such a concern still.
    Offal is awesome! Our favourites are chicken livers (eaten with bacon) and lamb kidneys (eaten with cubed rump steak in a pie like substance). I agree that it's a bit much just by itself, but with a blander meat or avocadoes it's very tasty. (Kids don't like it as much though...).

my soil sucks big time. it lacks organic matter and thus tends to clump and not hold water properly. though, the little woodland garden i'm creating under a large tree is in great soil. i have too much crappy soil in the rest of the yard to be able to fix it all at once, but i'm trying to fix it through lazy composting (dig a hole, throw in food scraps). also, someone will be coming one of these days to bring me free, rich junk-free soil. most of that will go in the kids' old sandbox; i promised them a garden last year and still haven't followed through. the rest will be worked in around the yard.
    My wife was big on permaculture a few years ago, and we set up a system of composting (taking in food scraps and lawn clippings) that makes some of the good stuff. It's amazing how much mixing in some sand, some clay and some vegetable matter will do.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have never been sure if Dr. Wahls means 9 cups all raw, or cooked.
    Because even 3 cups of whatever leafy green, even packed, doesn't come down to all that much once cooked.

I should be trying to get in more veg... I'm just NEVER really hungry. It's weird. It also makes the prep and cooking of things kind of a drag. I cook and eat only dinner most days. Most of the time I like eating it and even really chow down on the veggies in particular probably eating about 2-3 cups cooked (a bigger pile if it's raw/salady)... plus a normal/large sized portion of meat. You know, plate 2/3 - 3/4 veg pile and some meat. But that's all I really want to eat in a day. And a carby veg like sweet potato only makes it to my plate MAYBE once a week. I think it has something to do with my medication... I wish it would at least inspire my body to chuck some weight, but no... loss is the equivalent of pouring molasses on a cold day. So slow.
    It's not like I'm going to eat because the clock says so, or count calories, or any of those things (because those things make me miserable!) so it is what it is. *shrug*

I'm obviously on the Magic Tylenol today because of yesterdays outing... Back to Dr. Wahls... Cooked or Raw? Who knows.............

And speaking of dinner... I'm supposed to be cooking that now.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

nah, i get more than enough meat in my diet. that's something that i have to watch, because i find that if i don't have enough red meat, within 3 days i end up feeling very fatigued and depressed. i don't measure my meat except by portion of the whole, and i'd say that i put away 6 oz meat at least at every meal, plus random snacks. i could comfortably eat 1/2 lb. in a sitting, but the more i eat, the less there is for the kids. the vegetables are more likely to push out other stuff like nuts, dairy, and faileo treats. although yesterday i proved that i could eat a ton of not-okay stuff and still get in all of my meat and veggies.

your question sparked my curiosity so i'm looking up calories in various vegetables. artichoke hearts look like one of the most calorie-dense vegetables, if you exclude potatoes, at 42 calories per cup; 9 cups would only be 378 calories. then if you add a pound of 85-15 ground beef (975 cal; 112 g protein) you're at 1353 calories for the day. of course the key is variety, but you get my point. if i eat only till satiated, i get more like 1800-2200 calories per day, so there's a little wiggle room (especially if you're eating other cuts of meat, poultry, and fish). and if i eat *only* till satiated, then i lose weight. problem is, food tastes better than skinny feels.

i'll have to try chicken livers. i think i still have a few chickens with gizzards in my freezer; should cook those up this week and then make stock. i usually cook the gizzards in the stock and then serve the boneless portions to the cats, but really i should be eating them myself (doubt the kids would choke 'em down). we gave beef liver a go months ago; the experience involved a lot of bribes, gagging, and laughter and ended with a promise that i'd never expect them to eat it again. hmmm...avocados? one of my favorite snacks is an avocado with salsa and processed meat (sausage, brats, or bacon). never thought to try liver in that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I have never been sure if Dr. Wahls means 9 cups all raw, or cooked.
    Because even 3 cups of whatever leafy green, even packed, doesn't come down to all that much once cooked.
    good question. i assume "raw" because i would probably not even try if the goal was 9 cups *cooked.* i mean, i cook it, but that's a helluva lot of greens if you're measuring the cooked amount rather than the raw.

I should be trying to get in more veg... I'm just NEVER really hungry. It's weird. It also makes the prep and cooking of things kind of a drag. I cook and eat only dinner most days. Most of the time I like eating it and even really chow down on the veggies in particular probably eating about 2-3 cups cooked (a bigger pile if it's raw/salady)... plus a normal/large sized portion of meat. You know, plate 2/3 - 3/4 veg pile and some meat. But that's all I really want to eat in a day. And a carby veg like sweet potato only makes it to my plate MAYBE once a week. I think it has something to do with my medication... I wish it would at least inspire my body to chuck some weight, but no... loss is the equivalent of pouring molasses on a cold day. So slow.
    It's not like I'm going to eat because the clock says so, or count calories, or any of those things (because those things make me miserable!) so it is what it is. *shrug*

I'm obviously on the Magic Tylenol today because of yesterdays outing... Back to Dr. Wahls... Cooked or Raw? Who knows.............

And speaking of dinner... I'm supposed to be cooking that now.
    prepwork can be rather tedious. i used to love cooking, but the monotony of doing it several times a day, plus budgetary constraints, and being surrounded by critics really zapped the joy out of it. once in a while i order pizza for the kids and then make something a little more complex and yummy for myself. i should be getting dinner ready here, too. happy mother's day!