Page 141 of 250 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 141

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'd like to try beef heart but son and hubby are squeamish about organ meats. How does it taste?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    like beef, but a slightly different flavor and a little chewier. if you marinade it for a few days, and grill it on skewers, it's pretty scrumptious. everyone we've served it to has enjoyed it though they had no clue. just cut it up when they're not around, then put it in the fridge to marinade. don't say anything about it until after they've eaten it.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I'd like to try beef heart but son and hubby are squeamish about organ meats. How does it taste?
    Beef heart..... SO MUCH LOVE!
    It's a muscle, so it's like muscle meat rather than like liver or something, but very fine grained... and a bit of chew.
    It's beef flavored, but BEEFIER...
    Honestly, if it was trimmed and cubed, they would probably be clueless.
    Also, if you get heart with big hunks of white fat on it... trim that off and render it for tallow. The BEST tallow ever is on the heart.

I really like it sliced, trimmed a bit and seared rare, with a dippy egg for 'sauce'.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I'll have to try it. I buy my beef from a local rancher half a cow at a time, they also sell at the farmers market. I once bought beef heart from them for the dogs and they loved it.

sore throat. and i have no fresh ginger.

Have you ever tried gargling with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water? You use 1 to 1 ratio, I find it to be very effective. I also put a few warmed drops of HP in my ear, lay on on my side and let it set for about 5-10 minutes. When I feel a sore throat I gargle at least 3 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Have you ever tried gargling with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water? You use 1 to 1 ratio, I find it to be very effective. I also put a few warmed drops of HP in my ear, lay on on my side and let it set for about 5-10 minutes. When I feel a sore throat I gargle at least 3 times a day.
    Yup, that works, or salt water...dunno why, just works for me if no HP around.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

ee gads i hate hydrogen peroxide in my mouth. yeah, i do that once in a while; i brushed and gargled with it last night. it helped some but still hurt like a bitch every time i swallowed. i also swiped the kids' sore throat spray which contains a variety of herbs. i also gargled with ACV which hurt like a bitch every time, and i ended up spitting some weird looking stuff out of my mouth. i tried a bunch of stuff . plain ginger tea is what usually helps when i feel like this, must get ginger today. cold yogurt felt fabulous this morning!

HP is kind of nasty. My son wont tolerate it is in his ears but will gargle with it. Ginger tea is good for a lot of things wish I could bring you some. I hope you feel better soon.

i'm not bedridden or anything. i feel mostly okay; sore body and joints, but otherwise have enough energy to do basic things. i'll run out for ginger a little later. the toughest thing will be avoiding sugar. i kind of deserve this after all the crap i've had in the past two weeks.

soo...i've been looking into reducing my yeast populations. i won't go into details, but i have some pretty obvious symptoms in multiple areas (also wondering if the sore throat/mouth pain is yeast). ee gads, there's a lot of pseudo-scientific junk out there, and it can take quite a bit of searching just to validate or invalidate any particular claim. i ended up reading about parasites and a product called humaworm. blogger was claiming "it works" because her son started feeling nauseated after taking it (die-off). while "die-off" is a possibility, how can she be sure that it's not the herbs causing the nausea?? i don't even want to think about this. who knows, maybe decades from now we'll find that we all ARE populated with parasites, but only some are pathogenic. anyway, i ordered some probiotics from vitacost late last night and then called this morning to change my order (i forgot to order a probiotic with L. reuteri in it) and they had already shipped!

so, a bit i've learned about Lactobacillus reuteri:

-produces a substance called "reuterin" which is an effective anti-microbial agent against yeasts, molds, gram-positive and some gram-negative bacteria. around 4-5 times as much reuterin is required to kill "good" bacteria as pathogenic bacteria, so using the proper dosages, it can kill just the pathogenic bacteria.

-is a bacteria found in the intestines of nearly every healthy mammal

-reduces or kills H. pylori (stomach ulcers), and S. mutans (cavities and gingivitis- if taken as a chewable or gum) populations

-maintaining high gut populations is also protective against: salmonella, rotavirus (and can be taken to reduce the length/severity of resulting diarrhea), e. coli, yeast, and leaky gut syndrome

so i should probably find some l. reuteri today as well. also, i read that L. reuteri can survive the trip down to the intestines, so it seems that specially-coated supplements are unnecessary. i think i'm going to buy some powdered and add it to my kids' daily raw milk.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-07-2012 at 10:27 AM.