Page 135 of 251 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2501

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 135

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    uhoh, i'm a money-spending machine today. friend and i went on a little hike, but then went out to lunch (brats and sauerkraut with a side of potato salad), then popped into a local deli and had *gasp* freshly-made caramel roll (hers) and pain au chocolat (mine). we shared. OMG! delicioso!

after coming home, i tinkered with my bike a little but couldn't get the front wheel off. i ended up taking it to a bike shop to replace both tires and the cables. $$ Then we went food shopping. i had intended to pick up "a few veggies and GF tortillas." well the coop was having a sale on organic bell peppers ($2.25/lb), so i bought a boat-load, some veggies, sour cream...and on and on. all good stuff that we'll eat, no junk. not even good chocolate. but still.

THEN we went to the supermarket and they were having a sale on organic bell peppers too. so i bought 4 more. plus brats (they only had one package left), more veggies, chicken drumettes, and some seafood. i could tell i was pissing off the seafood lady. first i asked to smell her cod. i felt weird doing it, but i've had bad fish so many times, it's just not cool. smelled good, so we bought some. then one crab leg cluster, and the kids were begging for cooked shrimp so we bought some of that too. as she bagged it up, i asked (just to make sure) "oh, did you change your gloves between the cod and the shrimp?" she looked pissed, but i hadn't seen her change her gloves. she claims she did. oh well, we'll see if we get sick. all told, i didn't spend that much, and it was all good stuff, but i bought a lot of things i normally don't.

at the self-checkout, toddler man was being a pain(wanting to sit on the scale/grocery bag area) so i put him on my shoulders. he was pissed because i wasn't giving him a radish, so he started to slowly pull my hair as i was trying to checkout. i'm sure it must've been really comical to other shoppers. OTOH, things that my kids begged for: kiwi, radishes, deli meat, artichokes(they were out), and shrimp.

and i've got a GOTD that is too TMI for the regular thread: hubby's coming home for the first time in 4 months and i'm due for TTOM! argh!!

Ooo cracks of thunder and sudden rain!
    Last edited by Saoirse; 04-17-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Peppers are on sale at my local health food store too, they're $2.29 LB. I don't understand why they are on sale this time of year but I'm buying them any way. What will you do with all yours? Do your kids like them?

Tomorrow I'm going to visit a friend that lives about 1 hr away, she wants to start eating paleo so I'm going to help her come up with a menu and go shopping with her to get provisions.

sounds like fun! is she worried about the cost? food shopping is much more fun when you don't have to worry about that.

we typically just eat them dipped in sour cream (if i'm lazy, which i normally am) or homemade ranch. from working at the coop in previous years, i remember an unexplainable sale on peppers every year around this time. maybe it's the height of pepper season in Mexico.

my chicken wings aren't crisping! next time i'll have to dry them off before coating in lard.

I am not sure how concerned about cost she is. I know the only store near her is a Safeway, since I don't shop at Safeway I have no idea whether they will have pastured butter and meat. I think if they do have grass fed meat it's going to be expensive.
    We but 1/2 a cow at a time so I'm not up on the store price of meat. My guess is that she will probably have to by some regular meat until she can find a source for pastured meat. She's a recently divorced Mom with a 12 year old boy so I want to make it a simple as possible for her so she has some success with the diet.

the safeway near us has a decent organic/"natural" selection. good luck.

welll... my hip pain is gone but now my upper traps are really stiff. argh...

and my jeans which were almost too big last summer are now a bit tight. i guess i've been little too libertine with my diet. time to get serious again.

Breakfast was a fairly large steak (NY strip, i miss my top sirloin), around 1 cup of cooked rainbow chard with butter, an avocado, most of a red bell pepper with sour cream. and i'm still hungry.

lunch was a few slices of turkey deli meat, a few pieces of cheese, some jicama, and ice cream made by blending frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and milk. i will definitely be repeating that. the cocoa powder made it sort of meh, but this is a raw cocoa powder that i'm just not that into. when it runs out, i'll replace it with something yummier.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 04-18-2012 at 04:12 PM.

do i have the dedication to do something like this to a fruit tree?

What an awesome website for picking plants. I wouldn't mind replacing my lawn with something low-growing that can be trod upon. Maybe I could fence the front yard with espaliered apple trees, and then grow this in place of grass, along with some flower and food gardens and a little bench or swing.

STEPABLES.COM - Plants that tolerate foot traffic

Today is "clean out the fridge" day. Breakfast was the old stand-in, beef, zukes, and onions fried in butter. It was a small portion but kept me sated for a while. I had a few squares of 77% chocolove. Lunch was eclectic: a crab leg with lemon butter sauce, then i finished up the lemon butter sauce by pouring it on some steamed asparagus pieces. I shared the kids' quesadilla (rice tortillas and local colby jack cheese), along with a shared orange. I'm still a little hungry so i'll have to dig up something in the fridge, or maybe i'll just be happy with a caloric deficit.

still no call from the bike shop!! will call them soon.

We're having a BBQ for the hubby on Sunday, and I'm providing meat and cheesecake. Hubby specifically requested heart.

Your idea for the front yard sounds very sweet. I just took some time and weeded in our front yard. Our front yard really needs some work we have a high hedge so fortunately you can't see it from the street. I've finally excepted that I am not that fond of maintenance gardening and neither is DH. DH loves to grow edibles and spend his time in the back yard growing those things. I wish I could afford to have our front yard re-landscaped with low maintenance drought tolerant plants and maybe a fountain. I think DH could probably make us a fountain, he teaches pottery at the high school and i believe we have a pump around here some where.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i bet you could do it yourself and save yourself trouble in the future. while hubby is here, i plan to weed the curb-side strip (was once a rock bed, but now is covered with weeds), then cover it in topsoil and plant creeping thyme. topsoil should cost around $30, plus the seeds. that little bit will make a big difference in the overall look of the yard. other things will follow as i have time and can afford it. little by little, our yard is becoming pretty, and i'll have to do little to actually maintain it due to choosing the right plants (drought-tolerant, right for the growing conditions). also, i realized i could (minimally) reduce the temp of the west wall by planting vines, so i'm going to put some stakes in the ground in a lattice-design, then plant morning glory. the stakes were maybe $5 for a bag of 24, and i'll need a little twine to hold the stakes together. the biggest pain is just weeding, but if you get the roots, that's easier and easier by the year.