Page 133 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 133

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Awesome! Next?

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i'm a soprano-tenor with the tonality of a screeching cat, so i'll leave the singing to you pros.

umm..err..next lyrics? i'll chew on that over the weekend. anyone else have something?

How to Make Exercise a Habit when You

Hmm...several walks a week? good idea. it's funny how common sense just makes sense, but sometimes i just need to hear someone else say it.

and now i think i'm going to make another batch of chocolate mousse. let's see if i can resist eating it all, and instead freeze it in little chunks to be eaten a little at a time.

*edit*
    I DID! i managed to put around 1/2 the recipe in the freezer in little cups.
    DSCN0079.jpg
    Last edited by Saoirse; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 PM.

I love how you started with exercise and ended with chocolate mousse. My kind of woman.

I know it is incredibly hard for you to exercise because you are essentially a single parent. Exercising home alone is boring. I know I would never keep up my exercise routine if I didn't have the gym. If I miss more than a day, people start calling me.

At home, I am currently trying the 100 push ups and 200 squats apps that I downloaded to my phone. I Have not started yet.

I don't know what exercises you do at home, but I am willing to be a long distance home workout partner if you want. I bet we could get some of the rest of the gang involved as well.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Exercising home alone is boring.
    To each their own, but I definitely disagree with this. I'm the exact opposite, if I had to go to a gym in order to work out I'd never do it. I feel I get more done in my small living room than most people do in their huge gyms. I also mostly do it alone (sometimes the gf joins, but it's rare with her schedule) and I enjoy it much more than when I had to wait around in the gym for others to finish up, etc.

I think especially if you have time constraints or responsibilities (like kids) then home workouts are especially handy. It could just be that the chosen exercises are boring, and also, while it shouldn't necessarily be this way, men and women prefer different exercises and those preferred by women typically require equipment.

I know Saoirse has a pull-up bar, and it's the kind that doubles as push-up handles, that plus her kids as added resistance is all she'd really need to get a workout, if we're aiming to keep things rather simple and to the point, that is.

Agreed. Maybe boring wasn't the right word. For me it was "Lonely". I wasn't able to keep up the inspiration needed to keep going. I was not recommending that she join a gym as that is not possible for her for many reasons.

My children are now old enough that I can get out to the gym which has become a "community" for me. I chose to join a small (read more expensive) gym because I didn't want the big box gym experience. I also get some cool classes there like bellydancing.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. Maybe boring wasn't the right word. For me it was "Lonely". I wasn't able to keep up the inspiration needed to keep going. I was not recommending that she join a gym as that is not possible for her for many reasons.

My children are now old enough that I can get out to the gym which has become a "community" for me. I chose to join a small (read more expensive) gym because I didn't want the big box gym experience. I also get some cool classes there like bellydancing.
    Should have probably mentioned that I may in the hopefully not-so-distant feature open up a small gym in my new area. It wouldn't have the "amenities" that big gyms have, and it would aim for that 'primal' experience, but the point is: I'm not against gyms per se, just against the idea that working out at home is boring.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not anti-gym(well, maybe I am a little), but I am very pro working out alone in my backyard. with the exception of Crossfit(which i couldn't afford) the only gyms are 24 Hour Fitness and Gold's Gym, which are more of a meat market than a gym. There are more machines than brain cells in those places. i like rolling around in the dirt in my backyard. I like getting dirty. I like being barefoot(gyms typically frown on that). I like picking up a sand bag and throwing it as far as I can. I do get the sense of community thing, but i never got that in the typical Globo Gym.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Around here, I have the option of a globo gym or a crappily stocked Y where I had a meathead flat out tell me "go play on the machines, they're meant for women. You might hurt yourself pretty badly on the free weights, and you're too pretty for that." I was midsquat at the time, or I would've "accidentally" clocked him with the barbell.
    We just got a powercage a few months ago, so I'll stick to working out at home.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I don't know what exercises you do at home, but I am willing to be a long distance home workout partner if you want. I bet we could get some of the rest of the gang involved as well.
    thanks Paula. actually, what i've taken from that article is basically "a little exercise is better than none at all." in the past, i've tried to do bodyweight regimes and bust my ass doing so. it usually backfired because i would be sore and i'd quickly grow dissatisfied. add that to whatever water retention/mineral deficiency issues i've got going on (leading to muscle cramps and sluggishness), and it's just no fun for me. like you, i think the social aspect of working out in a small gym would be a motivating factor, but of course that's not really a possibility for me currently. it's okay, kids will grow up soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I know Saoirse has a pull-up bar, and it's the kind that doubles as push-up handles, that plus her kids as added resistance is all she'd really need to get a workout, if we're aiming to keep things rather simple and to the point, that is.
    I do find home routines to be rather boring, i wish it wasn't so. the only equipment i have is that pullup bar you mentioned, but hubby broke that the last him he was home (or rather, he broke the little clip that holds it against the wall above the door frame). does the pushup bar add resistance? at this point, i could probably only do one or two regular pushups, so no need for equipment there.

not only do i find home routines boring, but it's also a timing issue. there is no time of day that i can rely on to have a little workout. so if it's something i want to do, i have to squeeze it in randomly whenever the kids aren't being needy. this isn't a barrier, but another hurdle to jump. i could see enjoying a routine if it was a habitual part of my day, but that's not going to happen right now. i can do various exercises randomly throughout the day, and maybe have a little whiteboard where i keep track. it probably won't have the same impact, but it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I like picking up a sand bag and throwing it as far as I can. I do get the sense of community thing, but i never got that in the typical Globo Gym.
    i do physical activity type-stuff with the kids, but it's random. we go for walks, i throw them on the bed, chase them around the yard, etc. when i do yardwork, i do any heavy lifting that's required (like moving bags of soil amendments, mulch, etc.), i will be mowing the lawn again, and things like that. so i'm not truly the couch potato i pretend to be, but i think i'm given up on this idea of a workout routine.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Around here, I have the option of a globo gym or a crappily stocked Y where I had a meathead flat out tell me "go play on the machines, they're meant for women. You might hurt yourself pretty badly on the free weights, and you're too pretty for that." I was midsquat at the time, or I would've "accidentally" clocked him with the barbell.
    We just got a powercage a few months ago, so I'll stick to working out at home.
    oh wow, what an ass. i'd never go back there either.

I woke up this morning thinking about our bikes. i haven't used the bike trailer much because i really don't like it; it's crusty-looking and the straps holding my baby in look uncomfortable. maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy a nicer one. i wonder about how safe my bike is, too. i should talk with my friend who owns a bike shop, see what he has to say. also, both of the kids need bigger bikes this year. craigslist had some for rather cheap. i'll look into that today.

also, i've had free time once a week, during which time i have to pay for the kids' childcare, but i haven't had homework or classes. so, the past few weeks, i've been using that to hang out with a friend, and we've spent most of that time getting to know the restaurants around town. i've introduced the idea of going on hikes during that time, and she's receptive, so i think i'm going to shift focus. that particular day next week should be a lovely day, so maybe i'll ride my bike to her house and we could go for a bike ride together.

in other news, HUBBY'S COMING HOME!! just for a visit, on friday. he'll be here for a few weeks. the plan is to have him watch the kids while i'm in class, and then we'll use the childcare time to have dates during the day. i might be able to wrangle a few evening dates from my dad and friends as well.