Page 119 of 250 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2497

Thread: Saoirse's Primal Journal page 119

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    huh, interesting. i'm not sure i'd like to flirt with others in front of my husband, but maybe someday we'll get to that point.

i'm consumed today by thoughts of flowers. i planted more today: sweet peas (the flower, not legume), poppies, more marigolds, nasturtium (that was actually a few days ago), and a few cosmos which will probably not pop up (old seed). i want to find some Portulaca to plant in the flower bed on the west side of the house; this area is difficult to reach with the hose so i tend not to water it. it also receives full sun, the entire day, and has shitty soil. well, i planted some portulaca from transplants last year and they hung on the entire season, looking especially sweet when i watered them. so i'd like to fill that entire bed with portulaca to supplement the nasturtium i've already planted there. i might throw in some poppy seeds as well.

we have a raised bed in front of the house with a few bushes. the bed was covered in black plastic and mulch, but the mulch has disintegrated. i'm thinking of ripping out the black plastic and filling the bed with flowers; maybe zinnias and/or a few others. i also have a packet of lavender that i really want to plant. maybe i'll deposit that in the vegetable bed.

oh, and after a little more research, it seems that the grape hyacinth i planted in total shade probably won't thrive there. these are a nostalgic flower for me, as they grow all over my dad's yard. his house was once owned by my grandmother, who was well-known for her green thumb*. pot marigolds are also nostalgic for the same reason. i have a picture of me on my grandmother's patio when i was maybe 4-5, holding a blooming pot of marigolds and my she-rah action figure. she seemed to love marigolds.

*funny story about this, since i'm rambling anyway. i recently had a parent-teacher conference at my son's school. one of his teachers recognized my face but couldn't figure out why. it turns out that she worked with my grandmother when she was a special ed teacher at the same school (~20 years ago). what did she say about my grandma? "oh she had such a green thumb! she invited all the teachers out to her house for an event one summer, and her yard left quite an impression on me!" amazing she did it all using rainwater to irrigate her gardens.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 04-04-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling

i can't talk about flowers without posting a few pictures.

Portulaca

Grape hyacinth

Sweet Peas

Cosmos

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the picture of Portulaca, I was going to look it up. I love flowers but I am lazy when it comes to gardening. DH does most of it our house. He focuses on edibles, though since we keep bees he will put in flowering plants that the bees like.

That was such a sweet story about your grandma.

last year i focused on edibles and the garden didn't produce much. this year, i'm not going to put more effort into it than i want to, so i'm not really worried if it's edible or not.

looking in the mirror this morning, i decided that i'm going to stop blaming myself for the stretch marks on my tummy.

also, i like eating mostly protein in the morning. I wanted to get something in my stomach before taking a shower, so i just ate some leftover steak. now i'm getting a little hungry, but it's not that urgent "i'm gonna kill anyone who gets in my way" hunger.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    looking in the mirror this morning, i decided that i'm going to stop blaming myself for the stretch marks on my tummy. .
    Good for you. There is an English movie called Shirely Valentine. It has the best 'stretch marks are beautiful' scene in it. Check it out if you can find it. It's an enjoyable, feel good kind of movie.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I will. perfect timing, as i'm on easter break now.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I will. perfect timing, as i'm on easter break now.
    Good deal. I haven't seen in years but recall thinking it was worth watching.

GotD: quoting me out of context.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

uhoh, where did i do that?