Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much salt does one need? page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

How much salt does one need?

Because of blood pressure issues and CW recommendations I got out of the habit of cooking w/ salt. Now, having gone primal and having essentially cut out all processed/packaged food I am wondering at what point I become deficient (if ever) and if I will have cravings to let me know?

I don't miss it but the word salary does derive from the Roman legions being partially paid in salt and a lot of effort was expended in antiquity to obtain it yet where would Grok have gotten it?

I have Googled a bit but I'm being led down the hyponatremia path which is a bit to the extreme. Thanks in advance.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be worried about sodium intake quite as much as I would be about iodine intake. If you eat a lot of food from the sea this might not be an issue for you.

Have you had your thyroid hormones checked since you started eating primally?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I think that if you've cut out processed foods then using salt to make things taste better won't be a problem. Just remember that "salt to taste" doesn't mean add so much that you taste the salt, but add enough that the salt enhances the natural flavor of what you're cooking/eating. Sodium deficiency is quite rare and you'll know about it pretty quickly as it's essential for proper muscle functioning. If I recall correctly it causes spasms or trembling or some such. If you're concerned about having too much salt I'd say get something to measure your BP and do it throughout the day -- as Mark mentioned it can fluctuate wildly so maybe keep track of the average for each day and see where you're at.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Salt is not a neccessity. You don't need any.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    Salt is not a neccessity. You don't need any.
    Really? Not according to my quickie research.

Sources, please!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Natural foods from meat to veggies to fruit (especially) are all much higher in potassium than sodium, often by a factor of 4 or more.

It's the P/K ratio that is so out of whack in modern life, more than the absolute amount of sodium. A teaspoon of salt substitute will give you about 2.5 grams of potassium. (It's bitter, I mix it in - ta, ta! - low sodium V8 juice and don't notice it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Really? Not according to my quickie research.

Sources, please!
    The inuit people did not have access to salt. They were healthy, and had a good bit of potassium from all the fish they ate.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    The inuit people did not have access to salt. They were healthy, and had a good bit of potassium from all the fish they ate.
    Ahem..Caribou blood is high in sodium and fish does contain sodium as well. Not to mention seaweed...and surely they could evaporate seawater if they wanted salt--that's what much of the world does...
    Here's some info.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-22-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ahem..Caribou blood is high in sodium and fish does contain sodium as well. Not to mention seaweed...and surely they could evaporate seawater if they wanted salt--that's what much of the world does...
    Here's some info.
    Well, according to the journals of Steffanson, they only ate meat, with no salt whatsoever. So no seaweed or evaporated seawater.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd die without salt. I don't eat tablesalt, just fancy sea salts. They're good for my adrenal function.
    Did the Inuit eat fresh water fish? If they ate salt water fish wouldn't they be recieving salt fromthat?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast