Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all primal parents! Kids and breakfast page

lolov is offline Senior Member

Calling all primal parents! Kids and breakfast

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've seen a bunch of threads recently about breakfast, but my problem isn't with MY breakfast, it's with my kids'.

Every day I get "what's for breakfast?" My answer is thus: Eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt and fruit, coconut flour or almond flour pancakes/waffles etc.

They hate it. "I'm sick of eggs" "I don't want eggs anymore" "I hate those pancakes/waffles, they are GROSS!!!" And that's just a sampling from today ;-)

I'm usually not into letting kids force the issue with food. Either you eat what I put in front of you, or you go in the kitchen and prep something acceptable for yourself. But with breakfast, I'm a bit less sure of that stance as I'm not usually the one making breakfast, they are typically expected to get it on their own.

I have made primal cheesecakes before, and they love that (dessert for breakfast!!) and also quiche but I don't want to make either one twice a week and they get sick of that after three days in a row, too (besides, I am not keen on the whole dairy thing - at least not as much as is in cheesecake LOL.)

So, what do I do? Nuts and fruit isn't going to cut it, they both hate nuts... I've tried multiple recipes for the pancakes/waffles and they aren't liking them. I've tried making them smoothies and they aren't fans.

I feel for them, I do... they miss their cereal or toaster waffles, but I really don't want to let them have that every day

What do you primal parents do for breakfast??? Does anyone else have kids who are so resistant to primal breakfast foods? They are so good about the rest of it (lunch, snacks and dinner) and I really am all about picking battles. Is this one I should just give in on?

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    First of all, continue to enforce the fact that they should be eating good food. Because of what I was fed when young, I hate soda, candy, and anything sweet. (well that cheesecake does look nice...) Now to your question.

Do your kids really not want bacon? Or how about finding some cool primal reciples? Or use my (originally dad's) great method of egg making. Here it is.

crack two eggs, mix
    slice up a lot of cheese
    put about 2 tbsp butter in stainless steel pan

stir with spatula while cooking over low heat
    when the eggs are "dry," they're ready

While I know coconut oil would be better blah blah and cheese and butter are dairy so some people think it isn't primal, this is good enough for kids.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Would a pre-made pumpkin and coconut milk custard or "pie" appeal to them? Or maybe baked acorn/spaghetti/butternut squash/sweet potato topped with coconut milk and cinnamon?

Cold chicken cut into strips and served with homemade mayo or another sauce?

Egg muffins are a fun, portable way to serve eggs.

Personally, I'd stick to my guns on this one. Breakfast sweets/grains are such an addiction for so many adults...why set them up to deal with that their whole lives?
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 11-22-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How about salads?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Fleshetarian is offline Junior Member
    One thing you haven't mentioned is how old are your kids, and what's their level of physical activity. If they're very active, then more carbs may be okay. But regardless, it's never easy, and a lot of education, explanation, and experimentation is needed with those little ones.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    How stuck are they on the "breakfast food" idea? Would the novelty of having non-breakfast foods help or hurt your case? (I think I know kids that would be on either side of that.)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    My kids love sausage and eggs and bacon and eggs, how bout an egg pizza here is a blogger from MDA she did a great egg pizza http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/...+My+Nose...%29
    and then check out some of these other blogs for some good breakfast ideas for the kidlets.
    http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/11...e-granola.html
    http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....ato-salad.html

These are just a few, I am just delving into the blogging myself and of course run across others doing primal/paleo and a lot of them are from MDA
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hit them little suckers with left overs. I loved left overs as a kid, but then again I grew up in a country that doesn't eat cereal.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I am agreeing here with the 'don't serve them breakfast food' metality. If they are fine with primal eating at lunch and dinner, then feed them lunch and dinner food at breakfast.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I OD'ed my kids on eggs too. Scrambled eggs especially, they used to love them and won't touch them now. I got them eating fried eggs with runny yolks for a while but one would one only eat the whites and the other would only eat the yolks, LOL. That just didn't work for me, I felt like I was malnourishing one.
    Now they're eating sausage and fruit/berries some mornings, and oatmeal with heavy cream other mornings. Today I didn't feel like making anything so I gave them both chicken soup. They didn't complain. I also agree that serving non-breakfast foods some mornings is totally fine as long as their nutrition stays varied enough. My kids are only toddlers though so they don't know the difference enough to complain so that helps!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast