Thread: Your opinion on multi-vitamins page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Your opinion on multi-vitamins

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In terms of supplements, I can understand the need for Vitamin D and Omega 3 oils. We have a huge reduction in the amount of sunlight we receive every day, and our intake overall is minute compared to our ancestors. Omega 6 oils are rampant in all foods today, which requires balancing through supplementation of fish oils or the purchasing of grass-fed meats and wild fish only. There are many articles around the web which state that our soils have become depleted in vital minerals, trace minerals and vitamins (simplifying things, but you can see what I mean). This passes down the food chain where each consumer is at a relatively greater risk of a deficiency in some form.

My question is this; do primal foods completely cover our nutritional needs? Is supplementation of the nutrients we need really necessary? I understand that supplements are not a replacement for actual food, and are used as a sort of 'backup' for any nutrients missing, but why not patch those holes with a greater diversity of food choices?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I take Innate Maximum Food. It's a multi made from actual food (mostly veggies, some fruit and herbs/spices) instead of synthetic vitamins, so you get the synergistic effect of whole food nutrition. Because I typically eat 15+ different types of produce per day, I only take 1 tablet instead of the recommended 3. On a low-veggie day, I take more of the supplement.

Juice Plus + is another whole food supplement. They have veggie capsules and fruit capsules. I take only the fruit ones, because the veggie ones include grain (bran only, gluten-free).
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I take Innate Maximum Food. It's a multi made from actual food (mostly veggies, some fruit and herbs/spices) instead of synthetic vitamins, so you get the synergistic effect of whole food nutrition. Because I typically eat 15+ different types of produce per day, I only take 1 tablet instead of the recommended 3. On a low-veggie day, I take more of the supplement.

Juice Plus + is another whole food supplement. They have veggie capsules and fruit capsules. I take only the fruit ones, because the veggie ones include grain (bran only, gluten-free).
    15 + types of produce a day? Could you give me a list? I am trying to eat more veggies but not sure I even know 15 types! Broccoli, cabbage, onion, tomato, mushrooms, peppers, cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, olives, celery, I tend to eat these every day any additional would be appreciated.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    15 + types of produce a day? Could you give me a list?
    Hmm, I mix it up quite a bit. Last week, I ate: spinach, red leaf lettuce, arugula, romaine, clover & onion sprouts, carrot, sweet potato, turnip, rutabega, parsnip, beets, beet greens, collard greens, butternut squash, tomato, apple, cranberries, banana, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, red grapes, pumpkin, mushrooms, jalipeno, and probably several more that I can't think of right now!

Basically, it's a matter of saying, "Hmm, what other veggies can I add to this?"

Click on my blog link in my signature -- at the bottom of each post, you'll see my food log for some ideas.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

skeedaddy is offline Member
    RE: "Are supplements necessary", please refer to the work of Irwin Stone, Dr. Frederick Klenner and Linus Pauling found at www.vitamincfoundation.org.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    My take on vitamins... They're cheap and if my body doesn't feel the need to keep them because my diet already has it covered, I don't mind or care. So why not have 'em available to my body in case it does want some of them?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

peril is offline Senior Member
    Unless you're planning your diet to get all the vitamins you need, its hard to get a balanced intake so a multi isn't a bad idea

I'm eating organ meats most days so no longer take a multi
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine