Thread: The Upper Body page

Mattman is offline Member

The Upper Body

Shop Now
    So, I just completed a 3 week program dedicated solely to increasing leg strength(I say completed, but really I got bored of it)and now I'm looking to increase my upper body strength and core stability.

Basically I need the hardest upper body exercises you can think of. I have a kettlebell also, but for the life of me can't think of many other exercises apart from the clean and press and snatch(the former I can do quite a few of already, the latter I'm afraid to try)so some exercises with that would be appreciated too.

I have two "goals" in mind already, going to work more on my one arm pushups and ab wheel rollouts(want to get them standing eventually).

So come one, come all. Lay the exercises on me
    Here's my resolve.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Weighted chinups/pullups/dips.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Weighted chinups/pullups/dips.
    Yep, and also I hardly doubt there's like ONE mother of all upper body workouts. Anything you do heavy (AND SAFELY-- which is why I second the pulls/chins/dips) is best. Heavy barbell work can cause injury if not done properly.

I don't have a chin up bar
    But there is a park near me, shall scout about.
    Any others?
    I would say upper body exercises than require no equipment whatsoever.
    Here's my resolve.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Oh, okay.

Check out www.beastskills.com this website just got a facelift (I preferred the old one…) but it’s got a ton of cool bodyweight stuff to play with.

Definitely hit that park for chins and dips, even if its just your own bodyweight. Get a backpack and fill it with anything that’s heavy if your own weight is too light. Rocks and such. I can’t suggest anything else for biceps and back than heavy chins and pull ups. They work more than just that, but I'm talking in terms of direct emphasis on back and bis.

- Push-ups: Start working on push-ups with as high of an incline as you can manage, meaning put your feet as high as you can while producing quality reps.
    - Handstand push-ups: this is for your shoulders, kick up into a handstand against a wall and see if you can lower yourself up and bring yourself back up. THIS IS TOUGH depending on your shoulder strength so you may want to have a pillow or something and definitely work on kicking back down in case your muscles fail, you could injure yourself so be careful. If this is too hard or your balance is limiting you then work on pike push ups or dive-bombers and get your shoulder strength up.
    - Tricep extensions: use the edge of your bed, the framework, then get on your knees and do tricep extensions. I’m assuming you’re familiar with the movement. If this is too easy do it on your feet, if that’s too easy then elevate your feet.
    - For abs try planks.

I’m tapped out… get creative, there’s hundreds of ways to create resistance using just your body and your surroundings.

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    All types of push ups will really help out. Try varying the hand positions from wide, mid, and close. Lift one leg off the ground, or perform plyo/clapping push ups. Try push ups that involve a large range of motion such as hindu, divebomber, or twisting.

As for pull ups, again multiple hand positions/grips, try large range of motion pull ups such as around the world, or add some core tension by attempting L-sit pull ups or tucked knee pull ups!

Dips, body weight rows and all their variations are also excellent tools for building upper body strength. Static holds such as planks, side planks, L-sits, front/back levers, and dragon flags to name a few are amazing tools for building core/abdominal strength and stability!

Body weight training makes up about 80% of both mine and my clients training programs. With some creativity and knowledge of how to progress there are limitless possibilities to help you achieve your goals!

Here's a dive bomber push up variation that also involves your legs, for example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIyqpOj-APY

OR here's a little inspiration, some techniques I was working on over the summer ... the possibilities are endless!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9eDJdftDk

www.Jungle-Fit.com

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    Oh and here's a vid on using a back back to add weight to your upper body training! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CnkADrYPE

Thanks guys

Some of my friends just bought to my attention the fact that I should probably work on body control, more than strength, since I have alot already.
    So I think I may do just that and work more on my handstands, l-sits, planches and the like than anything else. I'll still do some of these exercises though, will definitely work on my handstand pushups more, can only do two freestanding ones so far.

Thanks again.
    Here's my resolve.

Just compiled an upper body workout to suit my needs and current goals.

Goals:
    To increase strength in my upper body.
    To gain greater control of my upper body.
    To improve core stability.

Tuesday:
    Pseudo-Planche PU (2 sets of 15)
    Clean and Press (2 sets of 5 on each arm)
    Swing High Pull (2 sets of 10)
    Ab wheel rollouts (2 sets of 20)
    KB Swing (2 sets of 15)
    Weighted Jump Squats (2 sets of 15)

Thursday:
    Circular Cling (2 sets of 10)
    Suitcase Row (2 sets of 10)
    KB Swing (2 sets of 15)
    Single Leg Deadlift (2 sets of 12)
    Russian Twist (2 sets of 15)

Saturday:
    KB Swing (2 sets of 15)
    Deck Squats (2 sets of 5)
    Weighted Jump Squats (2 sets of 15)
    Suitcase Squat (2 sets of 15)
    Clean and Press (2 sets of 5 on each arm)

The Pseudo-Planche PU will address my planche progression needs. Most(if not all) of the other exercises will address my core stability and I've thrown in at least one main leg exercise so I'm not completely neglecting my lower body.
    What I haven't listed though is that I'll be doing the planche PU everyday, as well as following them up with attempt after attempt at a planche. This workout will also be supplemented with L-sit and handstand training straight after each workout also.

Any thoughts?
    I believe it is do-able for me to do a few exercises everyday. Als' post about overtraining comes into my head as I write this, I don't think I've ever come close to overtraining, and I don't think this will lead to it either
    Here's my resolve.

Furan is offline Member
    Yet another particular thought about l-sits: check this one out : http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=rX4zPm95dAY
    sorry for the link which comes from my mobile browser. It is manna from gymnastics bodies on their YouTube channel. If you like challenges, you are gonna love that one.