Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can monounsaturated fatty acids make you gain fat? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

Can monounsaturated fatty acids make you gain fat?

Primal Fuel
    I have just finished reading Sally Fallon`s book "Eat Fat to lose Fat". I have bought it for it is a good source for coconut recipes. Though Fallon`s writings are more about traditional foods (her philosophy allows for small amounts of grains) she is strongly favourable towards saturated fats, especially coconut oil, but she also advices to eat animal fats like butter, lard etc. In her book she claims that, though nuts are nutritious food, nuts can cause weight gain in some people "because body fat is mostly composed of monounsaturated fat" which is the prevalent fat in nuts. To me this sounds pretty far-fetched, pretty much like the claim that "fat makes you fat". Does anyone know if this hypothesis is supported by serious studies?
    Thank you!

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I read that book also and was surprised by that comment. I don't have an answer to your question but I'm here to add my curiosity to the pile. Maybe someone who knows will chime in!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, but I was curious, so I looked up nutrition values for pork and beef. They have approximately equal quantities of saturated and monounsaturated fats. I always heard that humans had a lot in common with pigs physically, so I wonder if that extends to fat content...

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure that Fallon is overlooking the real reason nuts can make people gain weight - they are delicious and very dense in calories, which makes them very, very easy to overeat!
    Last edited by theholla; 11-22-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: oops!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Ultimately, I'm pretty sure that Fallon is overlooking the real reason nuts can make people gain weight - they are delicious and very dense in calories, which makes them very, very easy to overeat!
    I totally agree with this!
    And for the record, didn't you mean that beef/pork have roughly equal amounts of saturated and MONOunsaturated fats?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    If a person eats equal calories of saturated and monounsaturated fat a percentage of the saturated fat are burned immediately as energy and not stored as easily as monounsaturated fats. Basically when a food contains more mono fat that saturated like nuts, and when someone overeats in general.....blame can be placed on monounsaturated fats, if that's the way a person rolls when it comes to blame.....I'm not one of those people.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I think the key is the previous poster's comment "when someone overeats in general." I don't buy into specific foods 'stalling' people or causing gain. It's the excess food--and, yes, some may store more easily than others, but caloric excess results in stored fat, regardless of what the person eats.

I suspect that Fallon's comment is deliberately misleading to help promote her own agenda about fat.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I totally agree with this!
    And for the record, didn't you mean that beef/pork have roughly equal amounts of saturated and MONOunsaturated fats?
    Oops, I totally did. Thanks for catching that!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, that seems plausible! Fallon blamed the monounsaturated fat for mediterranean ladies gaining a substantial amount of belly fat during midlife. But emmie, I agree with you. Though I love Sally Fallon`s recipes one should be careful how to take the background-information she offers for much of it seems to be rather rooted in philosophy than in science!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i seem to remember reading in gcbc that different parts of the body have differing fat types regardless of dietary intake.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure pig fat is the closest dietary fat to human fat. Human fat is saturated (we are an animal) and both us and pigs are omnivorous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast