Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The importance of moving slow. page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

The importance of moving slow.

Shop Now
    I am a desk jockey, I work from home. Every day I get up, turn the PC on, cook breakfast, and begin work. Two hours later I workout (Heavy Lifting, Sledgehammer & Sprints/HIIT), I like to think this keeps me in nice shape, considering my lifestyle (and diet of course).

But other than walking the dog, I do not get out much. I never do exercise 5x a week as I don't want to 'overtrain', I used to do Heavy Lifting 3x a week, ontop of HIIT 2x a week, what a bloomin' mad man!

However, the PB has brought to my attention the importance of moving slowly. So in my fat burning efforts, how could gentle stationary bike cycling (say 30 mins every Tues/Thur/Sat) help my cause? On top of the metabolic effects from my other training, could adding in moving slow really help out, where do I draw the line between chronic cardio, and moving slow.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I'm struggling with the same thing - where does "a lot of moving slow" morph into "chronic cardio"? I read Mark's book back to back and he's really adament to stay between 55% and 75% of MHR for your "moving slowly" and to do that a minimum of 2 hours and would be good to have around 5 hours per week. I already had a Garmin 305 with a chest strap so I wear that during my 3 weekly runs and I walk when my HR>75%MRH. That's my solution.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    I don't think 30 min of stationary cycling can be considered chronic cardio. If you look at the recommendations for "moving slowly", Mark suggests 2-5hrs a week.

Chronic(defnied as "long-lasting and recurrent ") cardio is more like an hour or more of cardio on a daily basis.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that if you're staying in a lower heart rate range (closer to 55%) that you basically can't overdo moving slowly.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i use a stationary bike for my moving slowly. i park it in front of the tv or talk to my wife while using it. i'll usually go for 30-60 minutes a few times a week, depending on whether or not i'm feeling like (i've been bundling up and hitting the trails more lately). my heart rate stays low, my breath stays fairly even...the bike is basically a way for me to replace walking because it's too dark and cold to walk safely where i live

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that if you're staying in a lower heart rate range (closer to 55%) that you basically can't overdo moving slowly.
    This!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    When it comes to low-level activity like walking, more is better. Personally, I feel that Mark's recommendation of 3-5 hours a week is far too low. I can understand that this is a reasonable goal for beginners, but I personally believe that 7-10 hours a week minimum is a more reasonable target. At the lower end, that can average out to an hour a day. I feel that is too small itself, to be honest!

I have to admit, nothing makes me more feel energised than a long walk with my headphones isolating me from the world. Bliss.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    When it comes to low-level activity like walking, more is better. Personally, I feel that Mark's recommendation of 3-5 hours a week is far too low. I can understand that this is a reasonable goal for beginners, but I personally believe that 7-10 hours a week minimum is a more reasonable target. At the lower end, that can average out to an hour a day. I feel that is too small itself, to be honest!

I have to admit, nothing makes me more feel energised than a long walk with my headphones isolating me from the world. Bliss.
    I have a very active job and getting in 40min 3x a day is sometimes just too much. I'd rather eat a couple hundred calories less than spend hours walking.
    If you have the time for it and enjoy it, by all means, do as much walking as you enjoy and can fit into your schedule.

However, keep in mind that if you are dieting too much cardio CAN be a bad thing.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with KG here - assuming you are already in decent shape, you really can't walk too much, as long as you are eating enough to support your body's energy needs. It isn't strictly necessary from a weight loss perspective, but humans were never intended to sit at a desk all day. NDF, if you have a very active job, it is entirely possible that you don't need any additional low-level aerobic activity. However, for those of us with sedentary jobs, the more time we can spend moving around, the better off we'll be!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Walking is good for your body not because it burns calories, it does, a bit, but because it builds bone, joint and muscle health in general and promotes beneficial hormone release. NOWHERE does mark talk about calorie burning as a reason for choosing one exercise over another. Recently I'm wondering if anyone posting on here has read the book or the archives in the website (?)

My favorite move-slow is a brisk walk home from work over the 59th st bridge at dusk - it's about 2.5 miles, with a bit of elevation, great views, and a sea breeze. Bose noise canceling headphones help too. It's fun and is a change from the subway. I don't like to think of it as "exercise time" but rather just a pleasant activity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast