Thread: Need more 'Power outage' in the gym [Heavy Lifting / Resistance] page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Need more 'Power outage' in the gym [Heavy Lifting / Resistance]

Shop Now
    While I am not 'bulking' , my main goal is to lose fat. So naturally I am eating a tincy bit less than I would if I were aiming to gain mass so to speak.

I know energy in the gym is bound to be less than normal levels while on a conventional 'cut' , but I want to have as much power as I can, rather than this, sometimes half hearted efforts. I know everywhere would say 'eat more' but that really doesn't help me.

I do Olympic heavy lifts (Front squats, deads etc) on Monday, Sledgehammer and bodyweight stuff on Weds, and Sprints/HIIT on Fri, followed by more body weight stuff. So my fitness is largely intense stuff. Rarely, if EVER going over an hour.

Do I need more carbs to power these efforts? I eat breakfast, wait for an hour or two then workout. ANy help would be nice

batty is offline Senior Member
    i lift and do the occasional HIIT. in my n=1 world, i have noticed that my performance sucks if i carb up prior to lifting. however, if i eat a big hunk of steak beforehand, i can deadlift the entire planet.

i dont think the extra carbs are necessary if you are truly keto adapted. that last bit is key, however.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I find that I lift better when fasted than when I eat before hand. Maybe just because I'm so used to lifting fasted. But I stuff my face when I get home from the gym. If you're in an overall calorie defecit, I guess your energy might be lower. Maybe drink some coffee before workouts for a boost.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Personally I don't carb up, like Batty I would take a big ol' slab of meat over some carbs to fuel my lifts. That being said, I almost exclusively lift fasted; and, to me the power comes more from a mindset than anything else, you can eat all the right foods and do all the "proper" pre/post-workout stacks and other crap that people on the internet swear by, but in the end if you don't walk into that gym ready for war with the iron and accept that it IS going to be hard you aren't going to be progressing all that much.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    Personally I don't carb up, like Batty I would take a big ol' slab of meat over some carbs to fuel my lifts. That being said, I almost exclusively lift fasted; and, to me the power comes more from a mindset than anything else, you can eat all the right foods and do all the "proper" pre/post-workout stacks and other crap that people on the internet swear by, but in the end if you don't walk into that gym ready for war with the iron and accept that it IS going to be hard you aren't going to be progressing all that much.
    Yep. The pre-carb up IMO can just have a placebo effect in making you THINK you'll have more power so you'll generate more power.
    That’s how I look at my pre fasted workout BCAA intake. There’s research that suggests it does more (a lot more, actually) but I’m not banking on BCAA to do anything other than promote protein synthesis in the absence of food. I’m not expecting muscle gains from it or anything like that, though the supposed fat-loss would be nice, but will most likely come from the way I’m training and eating than BCAA. Anyway, when I do take it though I don’t want to waste that workout so I give it all I got. Ideally you could always just do this on your own, but it helps me get in a better mindset to workout and I will maybe get that extra set in there rather than stopping prematurely.

Power comes from within, young grasshoppa.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I prefer to work out fasted, partly just because I like knowing that all the energy is coming from my 'storage' - glycogen and fat cells - rather than from my foods. I don't notice a difference in energy levels. I eat like a (carnivorous) horse soon afterwards, though.