Thread: Paradigm Shift page

LGray is offline Junior Member

Paradigm Shift

Shop Now
    So I think I've always known, on some level, that something along the lines of the Primal diet was the way everyone should be eating. Things like meat, fruits, and veg had to be good for you, while things like protein bars and diet shakes were suspect, even if they claimed to be healthy. I even found, read, and mostly agreed with The Paleo Diet (Cordain) when I was eighteen.

But... I've never really lived accordingly. I've put it off because other things taste good, or it was too inconvenient, or whatever. But over the last couple months my thinking has really undergone a shift, which I think was pretty well demonstrated by a conversation I had today with my mom.

Now, my financial situation right now completely sucks, frankly. So I'm living with my mom and I'm completely broke. So I'm going through the weekly adds checking out deals and coupons and remarking on things that are a good deal (Buy 1 get 1 free on bacon, 3 dozen eggs for $5, etc.) and after a while my mom looks over and says "Oh, and that's a really good deal on icecream, too!"

The words came out before I thought them through, "Oh, I was only interested in the deals on food."

The conversation was pretty much over, after that (the house goes through about a gallon of icecream a week, btw. I haven't had any in at least six months). But it's really kind of amazing the way my thinking has changed. It's not about eating healthy foods vs. unhealthy foods anymore for me. It's about only buying and eating things that actually are foods, instead of wasting money on things that are really just industrial chemicals designed to have nice flavor and mouthfeel. My entire shopping list for the week is bacon, eggs, chicken, fruit, veggies, and butter. It's a very short list because there aren't any fillers, it's only things I need. And I eat so much less now that it's all I need.

It's like that part of Food, inc. where the family is talking about how expensive vegetables are, but oh, hey, soda's are cheap. And all I could think was, but that's not food!

Does anyone else feel like this?

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Definitely with you on the "soda isn't food" thing.

And yeah, I've noticed my thinking has changed since making the change in diet. It's pretty sweet.

forsbd is offline Junior Member
    industrial chemicals designed to have nice flavor and mouthfeel.
    Definitely. It irks me to no end when I see products labeling themselves as "All-natural" or whatever version of that they use and you read the label and there's corn syrup and hydrogenated _____.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, it is bizarre.

my ILs eat a *lot* of ice cream. my MIL is a coupon queen, and she goes on triple coupon morning (6 am on thursdays). their cupboards and fridge/freezer is jam-packed with all kinds of mixes, prepackaged foods, and other weirdness, but it gets scarier when you head to the basement. A massive freezer is full of ice cream whose ingredient list is at least 3 inches long, things like "steak-ums" and "chik'n rondelays," and a lot of frozen corn. when you turn the corner from the freezer, there are three big storage-room shelves with boxed cereal, condiments of all kinds, canned beans and veggies, and insanities that i've never heard of. some of them are *years* old. it's creepy.

they would come to our house and chastize us for not saving money on food. we get most of it directly from the farm, and what isn't from the farm is fair trade, and then as much as possible from fair trade, organic. sometimes we go for organic before fair trade, but other times fair trade before organic. it just depends upon the product.

this is what our kitchen has in it right now:

fridge: left over mexican-style chicken from last night; home-made kim chee; fresh veggies; raw milk, yogurt, kefir, butter, and a bit of cheese (i'm off dairy, but DH and DS still eat it); meat that is defrosting (venison and bacon currently); condiments--mustard, mayonaise; garlic and ginger (fresh); and almond butter. Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Flax Oil (we are doing a therapeutic dose for omega 3).

freezer: frozen berries; frozen broccoli and cauliflower; frozen chicken, venison, beef, and pork. and bacon.

pantry: olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, fermented coconut oil, balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, himalayan pink rock salt, pepper, my various spice mixes (home made/blended so there is no added salt, fillers, msg etc), a 85% dark chocolate bar, honey (from my friend's hive), nuts, seeds, dried apricots.

counter top: fermenting kim chee (in process), fermenting kefir, soaking almonds, soaking pumpkin seeds, and fresh fruit.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forsbd View Post
    Definitely. It irks me to no end when I see products labeling themselves as "All-natural" or whatever version of that they use and you read the label and there's corn syrup and hydrogenated _____.
    I asked someone recently if something was gluten free. "It's all natural!" he said, as though that were the answer to my question. He seemed offended when I pointed out that not only had he not answered my question, but that the all natural label itself is effectively meaningless, since even cocaine is all natural, as is arsenic.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    So I have lost a little bit of weight recently and when people ask me what I have been doing, I just say "I made some changes to my diet and exercise regimen." If they inquire deeper, I say, "I am on a diet that focuses on eating food. You know, things with an ingredient list that is one ingredient long."

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't come in a package, it's most definitely food.

My view of "What Is Food" has definitely narrowed.

Broccoli is food. Crackers are not.
    Bacon is food. Big Macs are not.
    Avocados are food. Oreos are not.

Even further... Potatoes are food. French fries are not.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    At my last job, when we would all eat together in the lunch room, I had a lot of fun expounding on the goodness of my "fooditarian" diet.

I'm pretty sure they all thought I was crazy.

LGray is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    my ILs eat a *lot* of ice cream. my MIL is a coupon queen, and she goes on triple coupon morning (6 am on thursdays). their cupboards and fridge/freezer is jam-packed with all kinds of mixes, prepackaged foods, and other weirdness, but it gets scarier when you head to the basement. A massive freezer is full of ice cream whose ingredient list is at least 3 inches long, things like "steak-ums" and "chik'n rondelays," and a lot of frozen corn. when you turn the corner from the freezer, there are three big storage-room shelves with boxed cereal, condiments of all kinds, canned beans and veggies, and insanities that i've never heard of. some of them are *years* old. it's creepy.

they would come to our house and chastize us for not saving money on food.
    Wow. The thing is, most people who stockpile food like that actually waste loads of money, because they're probably not going to eat most of it. Never mind that there's pretty much no actual value in paying money for "food" that contains no real nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by forsbd View Post
    You know what I think is nice? I don't have to read labels anymore Since pretty much everything I buy is whole food, I just look for the stickers - organic or not, weight, and price. I save loads of time shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeThePurple View Post
    At my last job, when we would all eat together in the lunch room, I had a lot of fun expounding on the goodness of my "fooditarian" diet.
    "Fooditarian" is officially my new favorite word

In other news, my mom thinks I'm going to die from bacon. I think that in the contest between me and my bacon, and my family and their icecream (chips, pizza, crackers, candy, soda, candy, rancid industrial imitation butter, more candy, fast food... etc...), me and bacon are winning.

Of course, I win anyway, because I get to eat bacon

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGray View Post
    Of course, I win anyway, because I get to eat bacon
    +100!