Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My body is being a drama queen, but perhaps I'm fueling it? page

Arcy is offline Junior Member

My body is being a drama queen, but perhaps I'm fueling it?

Primal Fuel
    So after a week and a half of going primal... my body has been switching between extremes. I've noticed that day-by-day, I'm feeling either completely ravenous and hungry for the entire day or I feel feel extremely full but eat anyways and then feel sick. In terms of calories I've been eating in the 1,200-1,500 range. (5'5 120lbs female) I know this probably sounds bad to say, but this feels like a TON of food for me. I haven't had a chance to check the scale, but my jeans certainly feel tighter(?!) Bloating maybe? And I would say I've been eating about 80% primal trying to eat a lot of protein and vegs and 1-3 pieces of fruit a day. My only slip ups have been been a Chai latte and a small biscotti thing. Also some rice-inside salmon roll sushi.

Are the extreme feelings of ravenous hunger and being excessively full part of the transition phase? Or maybe the slip ups are more potent than I thought? I also worry that I've somewhat lost the ability to "listen" to my body since I've grown accustomed to ignoring hunger signals for so long (thank you Adderall) and have grown used to eating only when they are so loud its unmistakable or when I'm just bored.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    if you're not eating enough fat with your carbs, then you're likely to feel ravenous after not having food for a while. you shouldn't feel bloaty unless there's a certain food that doesn't agree with you. a food journal will help weed out what's causing the bloat. I feel simultaneously ravenous and stuffed when I eat something high in fiber (for example, lentil puree). maybe focus more on the fat and protein, and less on anything fibrous. It's also really helpful to write down every single thing you eat and drink for a few days to determine your macronutrient intakes (carbs, protein, fat).

I've been using Fit Day for the past three days and my percentages according to it are (assuming that I haven't screwed up on entering anything) as follows:

Nov 19: Carbs- 37% Protein-26% Fat-37% (felt stuffed)
    Nov 20: Carbs-15% Protein-26% Fat-50% (felt ravenous)
    Nov 21: Carbs-36% Protein- 16% Fat-47% (felt stuffed)

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    um no offence but the carbs seem high and fat low .....

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Less fruit? Where is your fat?

No offense taken, I posted so I could figure out what I was screwing up! =) Looks like I will cut back on fruit and eat some more nuts, avocados, meat, etc. (And also do some more reading...eheh...)

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    I've been using Fit Day for the past three days and my percentages according to it are (assuming that I haven't screwed up on entering anything) as follows:

Nov 19: Carbs- 37% Protein-26% Fat-37% (felt stuffed)
    Nov 20: Carbs-15% Protein-26% Fat-50% (felt ravenous)
    Nov 21: Carbs-36% Protein- 16% Fat-47% (felt stuffed)
    Way too many carbs and not nearly enough fat in every case. Get your fats up to at least 70% of your caloric intake and have below 20g of carbs per day until you get over the carb flu.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Will do! Thanks for your straight-forward advice, everyone.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Hey - just wanted to add some slightly-less-straightforward advice

One of my favorite aspects of primal eating is finally being able to trust my hunger signals. Before, I could easily get caught in a cycle of overeating to stave off the inevitable hypoglycemia I'd experience a couple hours after carb-based meals. It isn't always easy remembering to actually pay attention to my body (I spent so long ignoring it), but certain things like getting some outdoor exercise every day and a good night's sleep seem to help. So, I do find that some days I eat significantly more than others, since on some days I'm hungrier than others. I also don't eat a perfect diet, and have been known to put away ungodly amounts of cashews. But, my weight is remaining stable while my strength is increasing, so I have to assume that my body knows what it's doing. I imagine if I exhibited some self-control around certain roasted nuts I would be leaning out faster.

Also, just based on what I've read on these boards, different people seem to find different levels of carbohydrate intake optimal, based on a range of factors such as what kind of physical activities they do, whether they are already insulin-resistant, and whether they are trying to lose weight or not. Since you are already slender, you could potentially get away with anywhere from ~20 - 150 grams carbohydrates/day. Definitely experiment to see where your body feels like it functions best. People seem to prefer a range of different fat intakes as well, from 50%-75% of total calories or so.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Hey - just wanted to add some slightly-less-straightforward advice

One of my favorite aspects of primal eating is finally being able to trust my hunger signals. Before, I could easily get caught in a cycle of overeating to stave off the inevitable hypoglycemia I'd experience a couple hours after carb-based meals. It isn't always easy remembering to actually pay attention to my body (I spent so long ignoring it), but certain things like getting some outdoor exercise every day and a good night's sleep seem to help. So, I do find that some days I eat significantly more than others, since on some days I'm hungrier than others. I also don't eat a perfect diet, and have been known to put away ungodly amounts of cashews. But, my weight is remaining stable while my strength is increasing, so I have to assume that my body knows what it's doing. I imagine if I exhibited some self-control around certain roasted nuts I would be leaning out faster.

Also, just based on what I've read on these boards, different people seem to find different levels of carbohydrate intake optimal, based on a range of factors such as what kind of physical activities they do, whether they are already insulin-resistant, and whether they are trying to lose weight or not. Since you are already slender, you could potentially get away with anywhere from ~20 - 150 grams carbohydrates/day. Definitely experiment to see where your body feels like it functions best. People seem to prefer a range of different fat intakes as well, from 50%-75% of total calories or so.
    Great advice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast