Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Fed chicken eggs??? page

MoBob is offline Member

Vegetarian Fed chicken eggs???

Primal Fuel
    If I don't get my eggs locally from a real organic chicken that eats grass and bugs, my only choice is boutique style markets like Sprouts and Market Street that sell vegetarian and grain fed eggs that are labeled organic. They claim xxx mg of O3's, I definitely don't want the conventional eggs but these claims are sometimes saying flaxseed fed and going for $4-5/dz. Most are in the 225-300mg O3 range, good enough???

A bit confusing, whats your take on it???
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    They are a heck a lot better than the conventional ones (I buy Eggland Best [$3.49 a dozen], but I sometimes buy pastured ones in my whole food market; a rare thing, but I do what I can). You still would need a little omega 3 to balance the omega 6:3 ratio, but supplementing with fish oil and seafood will do the trick.

So yea, grab those eggs and enjoy them. Eat those yolks!

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Wholefoods has local pastured eggs but they're pricey. Since you're in Plano, lucky layla farms has a storefront between spring creek and Parker and they sell really nice orange yolked eggs.

MoBob is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Wholefoods has local pastured eggs but they're pricey. Since you're in Plano, lucky layla farms has a storefront between spring creek and Parker and they sell really nice orange yolked eggs.
    We get our milk from lucky layla since we live at jupiter and parker. They didn't have eggs last time but I'll check again!
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Melody is offline Senior Member
    They don't have them consistently. I usually order from juha or rehobeth meats and pick up at the farmers market. They are so fresh that they last a long time, especially in the fridge, so I can get a large amount.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think buying eggs by look and taste is probably the best indicator after all, plus knowing where they really come from. Of course, that means trial and error but finding a steady supply of proper white-and-golden orange breakfast crack is worth it.
    "Vegetarian fed" is by definition a middle ground - they did not eat their own feces or their third cousin's feathers but they also didn't go hunting for maggots in the cowpies like they ought to.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    We usually get Eggland's Best organic eggs. We bought some Organic Horizon eggs recently because they were on sale. The yolks were very pale and the eggs did not keep me full as long. Iw ill stick with EB while we are here, unless we can get the local eggs on occasion. They are very few and hard to find in the Interior of Alaska, especially in winter.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I'm fortunate that the eggs I eat are laid less than two miles from my house. The chickens aren't petted and read bedtime stories, but they are taken care of nicely. The lady only charges me $2 per dozen and I get 2 dozen every Friday. Out of convenience and because she actually delivers them to me, I give her $2.50 per dozen. I could get cage free, vegetarian eggs at Wally World for $2.18/dz., but I like this lady better (plus, she's a family friend from way back.)

Torrtrefireto is offline Member
    Still have to be careful. I got a dozen from Wegman's once that were organic vegetarian free range

Read the fine print, they were fed canola oil, hardly seems natural for a chicken to eat

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know what podcast it was but Robb Wolf addressed the flaxseed O3 egg issue.

He essentially said that we feed the flaxseed to the chickens and they actually convert it to a longer chain O3. So the O3 that is present in flaxseed fed chickens' eggs is more stable than the O3 of flaxseed itself.

As for the veggie fed issue. I can't seem to find any myself that say "these chickens ate natural stuff," but I agree with tfarny that you have to just go by taste and feel. If you like the eggs then eat them, but if they seem unnaturally pale, bland or weird in mouthfeel, then ditch-em and try another brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast