Thread: Feeling ravenous page

Enamel is offline Senior Member

Feeling ravenous

Shop Now
    Is it normal to feel ridiculously hungry when I'm eating a ton? I've been too forgetful to keep track of how much I'm eating in regards to fat/protein/carbs, but I ate a ton of food today (lots of beef, dried coconut/coconut milk, raw cheddar, some egg, way too much almond butter (gonna try to quit eating nuts for a while), swiss chard, and maybe too many carbs - I had a giant apple and lots of carrots today) and I'm still hungry, but I'm hesitant to eat more because I'll be sleeping in a few hours.

I know that not counting calories is generally espoused here, but seeing as I'm female, 5'2", 106 lbs and my exercise is limited to 2 mile walks every other day or so plus household chores, I think it's pretty easy to overdo it. I know it's probably kind of hard to give me an answer when I haven't tracked anything lately, but I'm really nervous about eating too much due to previous problems with binge-eating/vomiting. (Perhaps a bit tmi, sorry.)

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I go through this every now and then for a day at a time, and I posted about it a few weeks ago and it seems like a lot of people had the same issues. The good advice I took away was to eat when you're hungry, and to try to get a wide variety of foods in case your body is looking for one specific nutrient.

That being said, I can't eat very many carrots and still feel good. I get sugar/carb cravings when I eat a lot of carrots. But I'm diabetic, and more sensitive to carbs than most people, so that might not be the case for you.

Good to know I'm not the only one, I'm just hoping this doesn't last more than a few days, because I feel like eating a whole cow, haha.

The one good thing is that I've actually been having less of a desire for sugar/carbs - I just ate the apple because they're very good ones that my mom got at a farmers' market, and I thought it'd be a shame to let it go to waste. It's so good to be able to open the freezer and not give the pints of Ben & Jerry's a second glance. (I didn't buy them, of course.)

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Where are you in your cycle? It's totally common for women to feel ravenous for a day or a couple of days when their period is approaching. In fact, I think I'm feeling that right now. And sometimes people just have hungry days.

What you've eaten sounds a little random, like you've been nibbling at this and that, rather than having organized meals . . . could that be part of the problem too? I am often hungry, but sometimes think it's related to not eating enough at meals -- it seems like enough at the time, but I get hungry later. I'm a smaller female too, for what it's worth.

I'm not sure, actually - I've had some weird period issues lately, i.e. it lasts 2-3 days instead of my usual five. The only things I can think of that would affect it are how I've been eating differently and that I lost a few lbs.

That sounds like a very good explanation, as I was grabbing whatever was convenient to keep my hunger at bay while I waited for my meat to finish cooking. Just thought it was strange because I ate a rather large organized meal and felt full, but then just 2 hours later my stomach was begging for food.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I agree with PrairieProf about the monthly cycle. For me (and a lot of women), it's ovulation time, midcycle. When I'm ovulating, I cannot get enough food in me. All I want to do is eat and f***. Once my period actually starts, I have very little appetite and hardly eat at all during those first heavy flow days.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough veggies? Chard and carrots and apples isn't much plant food.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    I have an answer to any hunger problems, blood sugar problems, behavior problems in children, etc.- beef fat. Eat a nice fatty piece of beef and you will be nice and full.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Are you eating enough veggies? Chard and carrots and apples isn't much plant food.
    It felt like a massive amount of carrots haha, but that's a good point. I'll try to eat plenty of non-carrot vegetables today and see if that helps.