Thread: Supplements: Which must one take? Which is the most important? Primal diet helps? page

superseiyan is offline Member

Supplements: Which must one take? Which is the most important? Primal diet helps?

I'm curious about supplements. As I see it, there's four major areas potentially to address -- multivitamins, Omega 3s, Antioxidants and Vitamin D. I'm disregarding specialized supplements like Coenzyme Q10 or Vitamin B, etc.

I get the sense that Antioxidants are the easiest to get from good nutrition. Basically lots of veggies and berries.

Now what about the other three?

Between Omega 3, Multivitamins and Vitamin D which one is THE most important one? Which one is hardest to get from diet--a primal diet even?

I'm interested in seeing thoughts from the context of finances as well.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D. Salmon is the best source. You would need ten servings a day to get the actual required dose. /cilicat
    Last edited by Lojasmo; 11-21-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Definitely Vitamin D. Cheapest to supplement (and most need to this time of year.)

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    pretty much everyone:
    Vitamin d, magnesium are probably top tier, necessary supplements for most

many/most:
    zinc or selenium depending on food choices
    vitamin A - small doses, paying attention to D dosing. The WAPF acts as if a 2:1 ratio of high high dose A and D is a done deal. I happen to think they're way off base on A and D dosing recommendations.

some:
    b vitamin supplementation depending on individual needs, stress, mental health, food choices
    fish oil and/or krill oil depending on Ω6 consumption (remember it's always best to reduce PUFA consumption as much as possible while maintaining optimal Ω3:Ω6 ratios...probably 1:1-4
    probiotics (if not consuming fermented foods)

What I eat, what I take:
    I don't eat bone marrow - so I do supplement a small amount of phospholipids occasionally. Some from krill oil, some from just straight phosphatidylserine.

I don't eat organ meats--though i keep meaning to start--so I supplement b complex (jigsaw activated B which is a time released, coenzymated form of the b vites. jarrow b-right is also good though not time released nor coenzymated ftmp)

I occasionally supplement selenium when I'm not eating much seafood but more often then not, I eat seafood.

I supplement zinc because generally speaking, I don't eat oysters or organ meats. (though I did have a dozen oysters last week) My zinc needs appear to be higher than is typical, possibly due to a genetic defect in hemoglobin production. (note: controversial)

Fish oil - only as needed to offset Ω6 in diet. I try to keep both minimal, preferring the more stable, less easily oxidized SaFA.

random bits:
    some grapeseed extract a few times a week
    CoQ10 - 100 mg a few times a week
    Green Tea Extract - just about daily....sometimes less
    Hemaplex - it's an 85 mg iron supplement in the form of Ferrochel, Albion Lab's amino acid chelated iron bisglycinate- I only take it if I'm not eating red meat daily, and even then I only take it a few times a week.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
    I'm curious about supplements. As I see it, there's four major areas potentially to address -- multivitamins, Omega 3s, Antioxidants and Vitamin D. I'm disregarding specialized supplements like Coenzyme Q10 or Vitamin B, etc.

I get the sense that Antioxidants are the easiest to get from good nutrition. Basically lots of veggies and berries.
    Yes. Also, they seem to be the least useful in supplement form - see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19116389 - and supplementing beta carotene might even be actively harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
    Now what about the other three?

Between Omega 3, Multivitamins and Vitamin D which one is THE most important one? Which one is hardest to get from diet--a primal diet even?

I'm interested in seeing thoughts from the context of finances as well.
    What everyone else said: D, because we're not even designed to get it from diet, but from being naked in the sun all day. Then Omega 3, then the multi. If you read round here you'll find advice on managing omega 3:6 ratios that should allow you to get by without supplementing, especially if you really like mackerel .

I'm tailing off my multi, not planning on buying another bottle. I take fish oil, D (and lots of it in winter) and zinc (following Cillakat's recommendation - I want to see if it clears up those white spots I've always had on my nails). I also eat liver a couple of times a week, ditto oily fish (usually mackerel), and nuts and seeds with other minerals in mind.