Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is lite coconut milk primaly kosher? page

Fleshetarian is offline Junior Member

is lite coconut milk primaly kosher?

Primal Fuel
    I just started using lite coconut milk for my smoothies. It packs a 1/3 of the calories, and 60% less fat. The product is organic, made by "Thai Kitchen," and sold at my local health food coop. The taste is not as good as the original product, but I like the reduced fat/calory aspect.
    Does anybody know by what process such a product becomes "lite?" The ingredient list is identical to the original, so I don't think there are any chemicals involved.
    Is it primaly kosher to use?

strom is offline Senior Member
    Its not kosher. Nor is it a good idea to cut back on the fat. The fat is good for you.

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    Get the full fat version and add water... saves you money. Coconut is good for you BECAUSE of the fat though...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I buy about equal amounts of regular and light. I use full-fat for my morning coffee where I'm only using about 1/4 cup. If I am using a whole can for something (like hot cocoa, or a dessert,) I opt for the light. Whether I like it or not, calories still count and sometimes I have to sacrifice a little good fat to keep myself on track.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    light is just regular with extra water.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleshetarian View Post
    I just started using lite coconut milk for my smoothies. It packs a 1/3 of the calories, and 60% less fat. The product is organic, made by "Thai Kitchen," and sold at my local health food coop. The taste is not as good as the original product, but I like the reduced fat/calory aspect.
    Does anybody know by what process such a product becomes "lite?" The ingredient list is identical to the original, so I don't think there are any chemicals involved.
    They just add more water. I second DR. Just use the regular and water it down as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Its not kosher. Nor is it a good idea to cut back on the fat. The fat is good for you.
    My local chabad rabbi said that all of my coconut milk options were acceptable unless there was something added besides the water, coconut and guar gum. *shrug*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Agree w/ the rest--just add your own water to the full fat kind (or pay for the watered down 'light' coconut milk--expensive though!)

Fleshetarian is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for responding! It makes toatl sense that they simply water it down to make it "lite." I think I can do it myself...

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I am confused about your meaning when you say kosher. Do you mean it in the slang way? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering if I read your thread title correctly. lol

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    See, I just don't get that "watered down" thing. Regular coconut milk and "light" coconut milk have the exact same consistency. If I used 1/3 the amount of regular coconut milk in my coffee, it would only make it 1/3 as creamy. The light stuff and the regular stuff, 1/4 cup makes it equally creamy, but the light has less calories.

Not saying anyone has to do this, but I do it, and I have no problem with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast