Thread: Check my exercise routine page

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member

Check my exercise routine

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I am just now starting to exercise on a regular basis and want to get some feedback.

My Plan:

Core plus hiking/walking

Knee push up: 50 reps or failure, As of now I can do 15. When I hit 50 I will move on to push regular push ups.

Pull Ups: I have no pull up bar as of now but I have tried a few at the park and I can't even get off the ground. afterward my tendons hurt quite bad. When I do get a bar I will do two leg assisted chair pull ups. 20 reps and keep testing my ability to do one leg assisted.

Bench Squat: 50 reps or failure, As of now I can do 29 till my legs give out. I will move up to Full Squat when I hit 50.

Over head press / Elevated Jack Knife: I have done none yet but will be adding. 25 reps or failure. When I hit 25 I will move on to Jack Knife Press.

Hand Knee Plank with both R and L side: 90 seconds or failure. I can do 30 sec face down and 10 sec for each side. When I can hit 90 seconds I will move on to Forearm / Knee plank with both sides.

How often per week can I do this routine?

I also walk my neighborhood / or hike a wooded trail for one hour 3 or 4 times per week.

That is how I plan on starting. Any advice or tips are very welcome.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Do you intend to rest during those exercises or are you aiming to do 50 pushups etc. in a row? I think you could try doing regular pushups earlier than that. As for squats, can you get down below parallel on your own? If so, you might want to throw one deep squat in every 10 reps or so since bench squats might strengthen your legs but won't help you to go deeper. And again, 50 is maybe a little too ambitious. I love my quads and think I'm in pretty good shape but I can't do much more than 30 in one go without basically resting for a second between each rep. Planks look good. How much weight will you use for overhead presses? If you can get 25 reps out, then you need something heavier. Try something that you can get 8-10 reps per set with, or 5-8 if you're feeling like an animal.

That routine looks like something you could do 3 times a week.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    The overhead press/jack knife is your own bodyweight. I believe he is doing the workout from PBF. I would start with 2 days a week. Your plan looks good.

Yes the overhead press is body weight as Mark shows on his core exercise videos on you tube.

I planed on doing each core to failure and then rest till I am ready to move on to the next exercise. I am doing the the bench squat i.e. just a bench behind me to catch me if I fall. I am still very over fat and don't want to break my ass.

I will test my self often to see if I can move on to harder work but over all I am following the recommendation from Mark. I just don't know if I can do this too often or if more often is better.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchoGrok View Post
    Yes the overhead press is body weight as Mark shows on his core exercise videos on you tube.

I planed on doing each core to failure and then rest till I am ready to move on to the next exercise. I am doing the the bench squat i.e. just a bench behind me to catch me if I fall. I am still very over fat and don't want to break my ass.

I will test my self often to see if I can move on to harder work but over all I am following the recommendation from Mark. I just don't know if I can do this too often or if more often is better.
    Breaking your ass would not be good. Sorry that made me laugh. I don't think you need to move to a full squat until you are ready.

I would stay with 2 days a week to begin with. I am not new to exercise, but have kinda burnt my body out. I am starting the PBF also and was told to keep things to 2 days week for now. Kinda let my body recover.

Awesome job on starting this.

Betty,

When you say two days per week do you mean just the Calisthenics or both the walk and Calisthenics. I think I can do the walk 3 days and the Calisthenics 2 days with out hurting myself.

Just the weights 2 days a week. You can do the low level cardio (walking) as often as you want. Make sure you are letting your body recover between the weights/bodyweight days.

Thanks very much.