Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No appetite, no hunger. Is this a problem? page

svelting is offline Member

Question No appetite, no hunger. Is this a problem?

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating primal +/- for about 3 weeks. In terms of food intake, I've been eating lots of vegetables, meats, fish, eggs, a bit of fruit, some full-fat dairy and nuts. My journal isn't up to date, but I have it all recorded elsewhere and could post a refresh. I keep an eye on 7-day averages; lately I've been fairly consistent at 100 g fat, 80 g carbs, 90 g protein.

I haven't been hungry or really wanted to eat for a few days, since Thursday maybe. I have eaten but mostly it's been about "I should" rather than "I want to." I last ate before 7 pm yesterday, 15 hours ago, and am uninterested in eating. This is a dramatic change for me.

My daily routine has me walking about 1-2 km/day broken up into numerous segments. Aside from that I haven't been moving much and I haven't started any "lift heavy things." I'll go on a longish walk shortly (40-60 minutes) and the rest of the week to see what happens.

The collected wisdom here seems to be to wait several months before "IF-ing." For July - October, I lost 55-60 lbs eating VLC (<50 g carbs), VL fat, VL calories (800-ish), so my body should be fairly well adapted to lower carbohydrate intake. I'm thinking I should just wait until I'm hungry to eat. My body knows what to do, right? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'd follow your body's cues, as long as you continue moving toward your goals in the process and feel good about it.

It is probably a good time to add a bit more of the exercise stuff into the mix, though...maybe create some hunger through some heavy lifting. Or increased walking.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry, I am of the belief that when you are hungry eat and when you aren't, don't. Remember there were times when food was scarce. I go most days 16 hours and the longest was 24 hours IFing and I am only 8 weeks in. I think you need to figure out what is right for your body, if you stop losing then revisit the topic. Someone just posted a great post about IFing let me see if I can find it.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Here it is read page 4!! pklopp's post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...a-minute/page4
    Last edited by momofredheads; 11-21-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: forgot something
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svelting View Post
    For July - October, I lost 55-60 lbs eating VLC (<50 g carbs), VL fat, VL calories (800-ish), so my body should be fairly well adapted to lower carbohydrate intake.
    Did you eat this way for the whole duration of July-October without any breaks or refeeds?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're in that sweet spot. Yeah, I'm not very hungry when I'm in ketosis, either (like right now). I say ride that wave all the way in to the shore. If you're exercising (hopefully you are), you'll likely find that you can lift heavier and go longer and feel great doing it. Congrats!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

emmie is offline Senior Member
    There are days when we are hungry and some when we're not, and that's normal. Since you've eaten VLC recently and has raised your carb level, you should have more appetite, but the time frame is just too short for any speculation. At just a few days, this could be a totally normal situation for your body--or it can be signaling that something is wrong. Keep in mind that the absence of appetite is always a medical 'red flag,' so if this persists for a week or more, then I'd get a check up.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If you were adhering to a very low calorie diet for an extended period, it is very possible that your hunger signals (as well as your metabolism) have become depressed. In that case, you would not want to follow the typical advice of waiting until you are hungry to eat.
    Last edited by theholla; 11-21-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo :P
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    If you were adhering to a very low calorie diet for an extended period, it is very possibly that your hunger signals (as well as your metabolism) have become depressed. In that case, you would not want to follow the typical advice of waiting until you are hungry to eat.
    Ya, this.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I think the key clue is how the OP is feeling when exercising. If he/she feels like a superhero beast when exercising, that's the ketosis-related appetite suppression I'm talking about. If the OP is feeling weak or lethargic or blah then, yes, something is awry.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast