Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon, Fatty Meats, Cream Out page

shoreline is offline Member

Bacon, Fatty Meats, Cream Out

Primal Fuel
    I've been experimenting with Paleo for a little while now. A few things I have experienced
    Started off with
    Low Carb Flu
    Intestinal Problems

Then got
    More Energy
    Got rid of my occasional Wheat cough
    No wheat bloat and less irritable

Feel Great eating
    Lots of vegetables, salads and lean meats, eggs and dairy doesn't seem to bother me

Feel Terrible eating
    Fatty Meats like boneless bbq beef ribs and bacon
    Too much cream makes my whole system feel "heavy" as well.
    After much reading I have yet to discover one person who is fit AND healthy who eats large portions of bacon and endless cream as I have found recommended on this site. Sure you might lose weight but I'm not too interested in that aspect. In fact I think eating fatty meats to lose weight is highly suspect due to the way it personally makes me feel. Eat a plate of bacon and sausages followed by a cup of cream and try to run up a mountain I can guarantee one would feel like their chest would explode.
    I guess there is not a one stop solution for every person. I have taken away some great ideas from this site in regards to sprinting for health and I really appreciate the incredible amount of information there is to read. When it comes to the idea of endless ribs, cream and bacon this I personally consider a death sentence and a very dangerous path for anyone to go down, especially any person who falls off the wagon occasionally and starts eating grains again. I searched high and low searching for elite endurance athletes that live off bacon, cream and fatty meats and could not find one. In fact when I did start searching the majority of endurance athletes or the real Groks who would have to run down an animal eat a diet mostly of vegetables, grains and a small portion of lean meat.
    I'd like to read other posts of elitie athletes who can live otherwise. This is a great forum with lots of great ideas

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Do what ya gotta do brotha/sista
    No one is going to tell you that 'Lots of vegetables, salads and lean meats, eggs and dairy' is bad for you.
    I do good with some REALLY big fatty meals and lots of veggies cooked in fat, tubers covered in fat, fruit, dairy and nuts. I know I'm not going to start eating grains again - the odd birthday cake or holiday cake excluded. If you think people or groks who would have to 'run down an animal' ate only the lean parts - there's no chance that is correct. The lean cuts would go to the dogs.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
    In fact when I did start searching the majority of endurance athletes or the real Groks who would have to run down an animal eat a diet mostly of vegetables, grains and a small portion of lean meat.
    As I'm sure you can appreciate, health comes in many forms. Endurance athletes are not necessarily the paragon of health, and Grok was not necessarily an endurance athlete. You can strive to be one if you want to, if that's the game you're playing. Remember that Michael Phelps allegedly ate upwards of 8000 calories a day in pizza and other stuff we on these forums would consider crap, but he was (is?) in tremendously good shape. He's probably setting himself up for massive problems later in life, of course.

A great many people on this site are recovering from obesity, and a great tool for that is a diet extremely high in good fats. That is probably why you get the impression that we're all about drinking cups of cream with our bacon mountains every morning. But a lot of us are trying to limit dairy. Myself, I eat the bacon-and-egg breakfast with high fat cottage cheese. That holds me until supper. In the meantime I can do anything with ease. I have gone hiking up steep mountains, sprinted, walked for hours, done heavy weight lifting sessions, you name it. Personally I find it unnecessary to eat more than twice a day. I have a big portion of fresh vegetables with at least one of those meals, and I do generally feel better when I eat veggies than if I have a day of mostly meat and fat.

Anyway, back to my first point. One good thing about our modern world is that we can choose the physique we want. I've seen videos of persistence hunters and I've seen marathoners. I'd rather look like Hugh Jackman.

shoreline is offline Member
    One other point I forgot to bring up was the notion of supplements. I take organic whey powder Concentrate from grass fed "organic" cows. Some of the whey powder being discussed on the forums is Isolate which from my readings there are petrochemicals used in the process namely Hexane. I should say I'm not against having bacon and eggs I just say eat the eggs, some salad and bacon sometimes (this works for me)

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like you should write a book and start a forum!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Finding what works for you is at least half the challenge. So good for you.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Mountains of bacon and jugs of cream don't work for me either. Maybe my gallbladder just sux.

shadowfoot is offline Junior Member
    Also one thing that you have to remember is that endurance athelites need more carbs, which they will not be able to get if they are eating fatty meats and cream all the time.

I would guess that your symptoms are due to some kind of intestinal failure to digest that much fat very well. I think there might be some ways to "re-train" your system, but I don't know much about that. I remember seeing a couple or articles on the WAPF website about people having a hard time adjusting to traditional diets because their intestinal systems did not adapt well. Your situation sounds a little similar.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
    After much reading I have yet to discover one person who is fit AND healthy who eats large portions of bacon and endless cream as I have found recommended on this site. Sure you might lose weight but I'm not too interested in that aspect. In fact I think eating fatty meats to lose weight is highly suspect due to the way it personally makes me feel. Eat a plate of bacon and sausages followed by a cup of cream and try to run up a mountain I can guarantee one would feel like their chest would explode.
    You also mention that endless ribs, cream etc. can be a 'death sentence.'
    I have never seen the recommendation you mention of large portions of bacon and endless cream. A weightloss technique is not scientifically suspect because of how you feel; like me, you may have a dairy allergy or intolerance. You may be allergic to pork. I also don't care for cream. Although, come to think of it, a lot of people on this site have improved their health significantly while eating bacon and drinking coffee w/cream.

The point of pb is eating healthy fats & protein, combined with veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, play and exercise, to create a lifestyle that can promote good health and functional fitness.
    We need healthy saturated fats, and by properly nourishing your body, including fat-soluble vitamins such as A, E & D, plus omega 3's available in grassfed beef, pastured eggs, butter, cream and fish, the need to gorge on large portions of nutritionally deficient foods disappears.

Mark Sisson was an "elite endurance athlete," and I think he created pb in reaction to the conventional way of training. There are a lot of misconceptions in your post, so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on a few of them.

jasonmh is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    ...The point of pb is eating healthy fats & protein, combined with veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, play and exercise, to create a lifestyle that can promote good health and functional fitness.
    We need healthy saturated fats, and by properly nourishing your body, including fat-soluble vitamins such as A, E & D, plus omega 3's available in grassfed beef, pastured eggs, butter, cream and fish, the need to gorge on large portions of nutritionally deficient foods disappears.

That is a great summary fitmom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast