Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this? page

emmie is offline Senior Member

Would you do this?

I've been swimming laps for exercise for the past 30 years. Just recently I had two episodes of violent pain in the head that forced me to abort my work out. (There's tremendous pressure on the head when swimming from the water.)

After the second episode, I went to the ER, and they did a CAT scan that was negative. However, I have a friend who is a neurosurgeon who later told me that a CAT scan is not definitive, and I needed an MRA (MRI of the brain) to rule out an aneurysm--which he suspected. I had one scheduled when I had a third episode at home and out of the water--just exercising mildly. They did the MRA immediately and ruled out aneurysm. The brain looked fine.

I have a follow-up with a neurologist to try to find the problem, but my appointment isn't until December (since life-threatening problems have been ruled out).

I don't want to go back in the water until I know what this is, but I've recently begun strength training at my health club using their machines (I'm female, 69, and have learned this is good for us old ladies). I've been really happy with this and don't want to wait another month to continue.

Would you go back to this, knowing if it brings on head pain you can stop right away?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this is a tough one, because you still don't know what is causing the head pain. did you experience pain after doing some weight training? if not, keep doing that. if yes, you may want to back off a bit and try something else.
    i will occasionally get a headache after a really intense workout...but that doesn't really keep me from going back to it again and again. the headache goes away after a while, and the exercise makes me feel so great. i used to get dizzy after some workouts too (but that has gone away), and it was actually my chiropractor that helped me figure out what the problem was and how to fix it.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I would do anything that caused me violent pain, particularly in my head.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks for your replies! I haven't done the strength work since the problem began in the pool, but I remember from my cataract surgery that any significant exertion should be avoided when you're experiencing head pain--what I was doing at home was very mild when I got the pain the third time.

I'm going to try some simple leg lifts at home to see how I feel before attempting anything else. Since I wrote this, I've been thinking back to times when I could not work out for a month because of surgery--and I survived and did fine when I returned to working out. I doubt that my body will totally deteriorate if I wait for a diagnosis.

jasonph is offline Senior Member

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Don't exercise through the pain.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I had a couple of occurrences some weeks ago of sudden onset head pain during exertion. It was while doing pushups. I stopped immediately each time.

I didn't seek help because it passed quickly, but it did get me thinking. The threat of an aneuryism is real for me as I have to keep my blood "thin", at least not prone to thrombosis, because of stents. Made me question if I'd been over doing it, especially with fish oil as I'd been supplementing and eating lots of oily fish. So I stopped supplementing fish oil and slightly increased my consumption of oily fish.

No sign of exertion headache since
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

That's interesting, peril, because I also supplement with fish oil and eat a lot of omega 3 fish--BUT fish oil tends to thin the blood and would help in your situation wouldn't it?

Thanks for that link, jasonph. But I'm annoyed because they don't give a 'cause.' For example, why would this suddenly appear? I don't plan to take any meds--especially NSAIDs which I think just mask problems--without knowing what's going on.

I'm beginning to suspect a problem with my sinuses--possibly an infection. I see the neurologist on 7 Dec., so I hope I can get some answers. In that article, they mention several possible serious things, and I know that with my MRA, they only comment on the absence of any aneuryism. I want to ask the neurologist if they also checked for tumors or cysts.

I really appreciate how helpful you all have been.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Emmie,
    Great topic. I too have experienced severe head pain at times when I work out. I stop what I am doing immediately but it is worrisome to me. I am a 58 year old woman and have worked out hard most of my life but recently have been having trouble feeling weaker and those head pains. I will be interested in hearing your results. Please share when you find out.
    I wonder if it has to do with aging somehow? hmmm When I first started eating primal I got quite a bit stronger again and felt great but after a few months I seem to be going backwards. Keep us posted.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    That's interesting, peril, because I also supplement with fish oil and eat a lot of omega 3 fish--BUT fish oil tends to thin the blood and would help in your situation wouldn't it?
    Yes, but too much makes one prone to bleeding, including aneuryism or stroke. I backed off because I think I was getting too much fish oil. Still taking other things to keep the blood thin, including turmeric and cocoa.

Unfortunately we are all experiments of one and there is noone who can say what is the right amount for any given person
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast