Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do: Move Slow for 45+ minutes vs. Sprint for 20 mins page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

What do you do: Move Slow for 45+ minutes vs. Sprint for 20 mins

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I've been doing my move slowly workouts, maintaining HR at 65% of max. My issue is that there is no 'fat burning zone,' exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit. Is it better to go all out every day (or more than once a week) in order to maximize fat burn through calories burned? Most of the time I don't even break a sweat when I do my move-slowly cardio workout...

So, I'll throw it over to you...go for 80%-90% of heart rate every day, or continue with the move-slowly workouts...

picard is offline Junior Member
    You need to get past the premise that "exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit". We exercise to build muscle (i.e. lift heavy things) and send the appropriate metabolic messages to our bodies (move slowly). Its not about burning calories, its about just staying active.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Walk for an hour most days. Resistance training 2-3 days weekly. Tabata/sprint 1-2 times weekly, and play.

Alexb is offline Banned
    Sprint.

Burns fat+builds muscle+improves nutrient partitioning+better endocrine profile+improves fitness+dramatic increase in smugness=epic win

drbrik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picard View Post
    You need to get past the premise that "exercise is all about getting the caloric deficit". We exercise to build muscle (i.e. lift heavy things) and send the appropriate metabolic messages to our bodies (move slowly). Its not about burning calories, its about just staying active.
    +1 and remember a calorie is not just a calorie - a calorie of carbs has a totally different physiological effect on the body than a calorie of protein or fat

DownhillDude is offline Junior Member
    Also, it was my understanding that we have to consider our bodies ability to recover fully, lots of low impact/intensity activites have low chance for injury allowing for more success with the sprints/lifting

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i mostly focus on this: "dramatic increase in smugness" LOL!

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I did 40 mins on the elliptical @ 75% hearth rate this morning.

peril is offline Senior Member
    When did it become either/or? PB says do both, at appropriate levels and frequency
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1. How the heck do you "sprint" for 20 minutes?
    2. Exercise does not cause weight loss through caloria burning! That is really, really well established. The (minimal) calories you burn are more than offset by added hunger.
    3. The reason to exercise is to increase your muscle mass and cardiovascular fitness. This increases your metabolsim by increasing lean mass and more importantly by stimulating production of testosterone and HGH. It also makes you healthier in general and likely to live longer and better.
    4. Do both, obviously. Also, lift heavy weights two or three times a week. And read the Primal Blueprint, it's a great book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast