Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grain free pet food page

cookie is offline Senior Member

grain free pet food

hey all! i wasn't sure where to post this, but i wanted to see if anyone else has recently found the new "B.G" brand (before grain) cat or food or dog food recently at their pet store.
    i was happy to find it at petCo.
    it is grain free, junk free food, and is MUCH cheaper than the Wellness brand that we were getting. actually, it is half the price. the main ingredients are meat, salmon, oil, etc.
    i am really excited about this. i always felt badly for feeding sparky rice and oat based foods, when i wouldn't even eat it.

www.beforegrain.com

now only if someone would speak out for our human food...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Petco's site has it at (regular price) $49/25 lb bag. The ingredient list is pretty similar to Taste of the Wild, grain free as well, and which we can get for $43/30lb bag. About the same number of cal/cup between the two kibbles. Either one would be fine, but I don't see anything more compelling about the BG to justify the extra cost.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I have my cat on Taste of the Wild, but only as of a few weeks ago. She had always been on Royal Canin Persian food, but would have occasional bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. About a month ago she started up a round of vomiting and diarrhea and it lasted close to 2 days. I was about to take her to the vet but then I thought if grain free worked for me, then maybe grain free would work for her.

So I went to the pet store and bought that grain free food. Within a couple hours she stopped the vomit and diarrhea, but then went the other way. She wasn't pooping. I thought I was a big idiot and that I had constipated her. That wasn't the case. A full day later she started going to the bathroom again, but it was much less frequent and much smaller and cleaner. I read around on the ol' Internet and I found that's a benefit to a grain free food for pets.

I am hoping that this is pretty much the end to her vomiting and diarrhea spells! The food is close to twice the price of her previous food but I am happy to pay that to avoid the puddles.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I forget what my wife feeds her dog, but I'm sure it's full of non-dog foods. I decided to be coy and fed her a little raw deer liver last night (I was cleaning, cutting a bagging one from last night's kill.) Of course, she gobbled it up and my wife told me it was going to make her sick. I scoffed. Well, 4:40 a.m. came pretty early when the dog was yacking it all up on the kitchen floor.

I forget when they eat the same thing day in and day out and you throw something in like that, something unpleasant is bound to happen.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    liver is pretty rich. organ meats can also cause loose stools so I always introduce them slowly. If you want to start your dog on some non-kibble foods, best to start with muscle meat and go from there.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

frances is offline Senior Member
    Weruva also makes grain-free canned food. My cats are on a (grain-free) raw diet (chicken, liver, and feline future supplements). They LOVE it. I never give them dry food (regardless of brand) because it can lead to UTIs.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Our dog eats Orijen. Probably the most expensive primal food out there (about $72 for a 30 lb bag), but soooo worth it! I like the care with which they source their ingredients.

Niko is full of energy and health--and had no flea problems this summer--unlike some of the other dogs. He actually went Primal before I did!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Taste of the Wild here too (supplemented with canned fish, canned green tripe, and raw meat/bones). I know so many people online whose dogs do well on it. It's available at Tractor Supply, which is very convenient for me.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Costco is currently carried a salmon and sweet potato dog food. $30 for a 35lb. bag. I hope they don't stop carry it. My dogs gas has basically vanished since switching. My 4 lb. chi was able to clear the room before.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Taste of the wild for my critters!

Both the cat and the dog. The cat has gone from a skinny not eating much cat to eating her whole serving twice a day! Now this also seems to have something to do with the fact that she had 3 teeth pulled (and I'm guessing that despite not looking bad they must have been causing pain for YEARS because she has NEVER been a big eater!) but I think she has done very well on TOTW.

The dog just doesn't eat. We have tried 3 different brands of dog food and a couple different flavors over the 2 years I have had her and she just isn't a big eater at all. She is healthy and full of energy so I'm not really WORRIED about her but you can see her ribs a bit and I wish she would put on a few pounds. Now I can't afford to do raw feeding (I tried and both the money and the freezer space run out - especially since I'm eating more meat these days!) and I would REALLY like to stay away from adding wet food to her bowl every day. So barring those ideas does anyone else have any ideas of how to get my silly dog to eat more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast