Thread: IFing questions from a Newbie. page

croí is offline Senior Member

Question IFing questions from a Newbie.

Shop Now
    Hey folks!

I've always been intrigued for a sometime by IFing idea, and began skipping breakfast earlier this month. I'm generally 16/8 everyday. However, I had a few questions as I'm getting a bit of conflicting information.

Obviously if I'm skipping breakfast and IFing every day, I'm taking in less calories. However, I've seen some write on the forum that you have to eat more to lose weight. So I'm confused. Which is it? Eat less by IFing or eat more? Or - Should I be eating a whole lot more fats during my 8 hour window even though I'm not all that hungry?

I’ve heard somewhere that after 16 hours of fasting, you begin to lose muscle.. is this true?

I find sometimes I cannot IF every breakfast. Since Mark states to try and keep your body guessing, what if I say: IF Monday morning, and don’t eat until after noon. And then say Tuesday a client comes in early and orders breakfast, can I skip lunch or dinner? Would this still work towards weight loss? Or - Should I try to keep it as a routine of skipping breakfast?

Thank you for your input and advice!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Calories are still important. If you eat more calories than you use you will end up storing some extra calories in your fat cells. If you need more calories than you consume then your fat cells will be forced to cover the difference. Fat does contain more calories per gram (9) than either carbs (4) or protein (4). So, IFing through breakfast can help you control your intake in the remaining two meals and therefore make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit and therefore to lose weight or to maintain your current weight.
    Personally, I never eat breakfast and I find that once you get used to having or not having a meal at a given time that's what I tend to do anyway. Our body's tend to produce the hormone ghrelin when we're expecting to be fed, so if you never ate breakfast then you body wouldn't do that in the mornings. If you did your body would produce it in anticipation of having breakfast.
    Combine that with the fact that eating removes one's body from a fasted state I eat most of the time by the lean gains approach of approximately 16 hours of fasting and an 8 hour eating window.

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Losing weight is different for different people. I eat more and lose weight, someone else does the reverse. You do not lose muscel unless you severly undereat for a LONG time. i.e. days. I like routine so I eat only two meals a day, again it might be different for you. Look at leangains.com for more information.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Not getting hungry is one of the things I like best about PB. I end up doing what would qualify as IF just by waiting 'til I'm really hungry again. Awesome!

localad is offline Senior Member
    You don't 'skip' breakfast.... you just have it at 'lunchtime' ...or later, if you aren't hungry then!

Also what Daemonized wrote, +1
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Thanks for the help folks!

Just for clarification. If I was to IF in the morning, and waiting until I was hungry, and have a nice fatty/healthy meal... Should I wait until I'm hungry to eat again (which could be another 12 hours), or should I try to eat another meal inside of the 8 hour window in order to get the nutrients my body needs. I find myself fastinging the morning, eating one meal sometime after 12PM, and then not finding myself hungry before the 8 hour window is up. I don't want to eat too close to bed time for fear of the food sitting in my stomach all night, which would leave me not eating for almost 24 hours. Please let me know what you think.

Just checking in to see if any one has responded.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Your last question is highly debated (in my mind) because sometimes I have the same issue, meaning, oftentimes I’ll only really be hungry for one meal a day.

This depends on my activity, but not always how you’d expect:

- Sometimes when I work out, I’m not hungry.
    - When I have an off day, I’m sometimes hungrier than the days I work out.

However, I’m more inclined to eat on the days that I do workout just because psychologically (though many would argue physically) I think I should eat, from reading about post workout nutrition and all that.

Turns out, that even in the absence of hunger, I can eat a decent sized meal and be satisfied, which is a bit confusing to me because I would suppose the satisfaction that comes after eating is because you did what your body was asking for, but I don’t dwell on it too much.

You don’t have to eat a massive meal if you’re not hungry, but if you want to make sure your body is nourished you can have a small but nutritiously packed meal. What qualifies as such is up to interpretation, for me it’s some protein and dark greens, others keep it carnivorous (grass fed beef) others like fatty fish like salmon, etc, you have to eat what you like though…

I find that fasters like myself can get a little too info fasting and start playing a dangerous hours game, this is a personal opinion not based on neither fact nor research, but if psychologically you think going longer and longer in a fast is helping your fat loss you may have to reassess and make sure you’re truly getting the nourishment you need, and not abusing fasting to get you faster results. In theory, the longer you fast the more fat you burn but you soon enter into a period of diminishing returns, which is why I don’t care to do 24 hr fasts more than maybe once a week if they happen spontaneously. I’m a 16/8 almost daily faster.

Like Daemonized stated, you release ghrelin when you expect food, so every Sunday morning when I have a family breakfast I actually do feel hunger, but Monday through Friday at work I feel just fine. Setting probably plays a big part in this. I’m sure I could fast every morning if I wasn’t at home on Sundays.

So, play around with it, if you’re really truly NOT hungry after your 12-1pm meal then skip that meal and do a 24 hour fast (lunch to lunch in this example) but sometimes have that second “for nutritional purposes” meal every now and then, even in the absence of hunger.

You don’t mention any workouts, maybe adding some fasted workouts in the morning 2-3x a week will help your fat loss efforts as well, and you may find you’re hungrier at night too. Keep them heavy and brief. Good luck.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 11-23-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks iniQuity!

I do understand it's an experiement with everyone's personal body. I really wanted to see what those who have been successfully pulling this off do on a normal basis.

My workouts consist of walking at a higher pace when I work three nights a week at my second job (serving). I can't say I've gotten into a routine for body weighted workouts. I guess I lack the motivation when I work 6 days/ 60 hrs a week. When I get home after cooking dinner, and cleaning up, I really just want to crash! I do get much more sleep than I used to. If I'm not working at night, I get a good 8 hours. But if I'm working until 11, up at 5:30 the next morning, there's nothing I can do about that.