Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil pulling page

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member

Oil pulling

Primal Fuel
    This topic came up on another thread. Swishing oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes to rid your body of toxins. I have looked the concept up online and have found several sites that talk about it. With that said, not one of them try to explain the physiology behind it. It makes no sense to me. How do I pull toxins from my body through my salivary glands and into the oil? What mechanisms are at work here?

strom is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=oil+pulling

I tried it for a little ahwile but didn't stick with it for too long. Did make my teeth feel clean. I think oil destroys the bacteria in the mouth which ends up as the white foamy stuff you spit out.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    That is 0% logical.

A lot of toxins are supposedly fat soluble, but there is no way that you could extract them through your mouth. The best thing is to lose any excess weight, eat a clean diet and plently of healthy fats to make sure that there is good turnover of fat in the body.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I agree, not logical from a physiological standpoint. I do want to mention that as stated above and elsewhere, the coconut oil turns white and frothy after a while in the mouth. This is interesting because I notice the same thing when I fry fish in canola oil with a glob of coconut oil in the canola oil. The oil turns really frothy, white, and bubbly when the fish is put in to fry. Wonder what is going on there?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle46N View Post
    I agree, not logical from a physiological standpoint. I do want to mention that as stated above and elsewhere, the coconut oil turns white and frothy after a while in the mouth. This is interesting because I notice the same thing when I fry fish in canola oil with a glob of coconut oil in the canola oil. The oil turns really frothy, white, and bubbly when the fish is put in to fry. Wonder what is going on there?
    There could be something in your mouth that emulsifies the coconut oil. Think of it like frothy mouth coconut oil mayonaise.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    There could be something in your mouth that emulsifies the coconut oil. Think of it like frothy mouth coconut oil mayonaise.
    Eew. LOLOL

Grizz is offline Banned
    I was the one to post that earlier. I just tried it for 1/2 hour and I noticed that some of the coconut oil disappeared. When I spit it out, there was less oil than what I started out with. Where id it go? It also slowly lost its oily feel as I swished it. We need to do some more research to see what is going on here. coconut oil & water does not mix. Yet whatever oil was left mixed perfectly with the saliva... Very Strange. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that ALL the oil disappeared and the only thing left was saliva ! Does saliva mix with coconut oil? I have to do some experiments to see what is happening.

Grizz

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's the oil, not just saliva

i've done it with safflower oil and coconut oil and after a few minutes it turned watery and white. some enzymatic saliva action, maybe some bacteria. if there was less oil than when you started and you swished for 15 minutes then some of it got down your throat, no way it couldn't have

as far as whether or not it works, i don't know. swishing with safflower oil made me feel nauseated until it broke down with the saliva, my stomach felt fine with coconut oil. my teeth feel the same as always

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about it pulling toxins out the body, but it makes sense that it could deal with funk already in the mouth. My husband never saw a dentist when he was younger, and has pretty unfortunate oral hygiene now as a result. I wonder if this would help him until we can afford the dentist to plug/fill/pull those suckers?

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I was the one to post that earlier. I just tried it for 1/2 hour and I noticed that some of the coconut oil disappeared. When I spit it out, there was less oil than what I started out with. Where id it go?

Grizz
    Probably swallowed some of it.
    Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast