Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are my nuts making me fat? page 2

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Nuts = lots of Omega-6 = inflammation = weight gain. Lose your nuts
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Of course it's the nuts! You write that you have a "couple of handfuls" 2-3 times a day? Try figuring out the total calories you're getting from those nuts, and I guarantee you'll be amazed. I've lost a significant amount of weight, but even now in maintenance, I count out my nuts into small portions in order to control. Nuts lead to 'mindless eating' which is death to weight loss.

If you're trying to lose, I'd drop the nuts completely. Have good meals with sufficient food, and you shouldn't need to snack at all, but if you do, try something like raw veggies.

wilberfan is offline Senior Member
    Good responses, guys. I appreciate 'em!

I think it's the 'crunchy' aspect of the lil' critters is what I like the most? Pre-paleo (ie, vegan) my snack of choice was to grab a couple of handfulls (there's that measuring method again!) of 'healthy' cereal. (And I would often overdo it. 4 or 5 handfulls at a time if I was hungry--or bored?) I had to--literally--put a small padlock on the cupboard door to discourage 'impulse munching'.

And I just remembered that I have a similar problem when I'm at my Mom's house: she who is more disciplined that your's truly, and who just happens to always have dark chocolate almonds and raisins in her pantry. (Two weeks ago I ate 3 or 4 handfulls of those bad boys (over half-an-hour), and paid the price 2 or 3 hours later: I felt horrible. Pre-paleo I never felt that yucky after a chocolate indulgence. I haven't touched them since--though I've been sorely tempted.)

Jeez, I never really thought about it but I may be a Crunchoholic! Anybody wanna be my sponsor?

And am I going to have to think about locking up my nuts?!

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried Deez nuts?

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    And am I going to have to think about locking up my nuts?!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    Have you ever tried Deez nuts?
    I think you should at least buy him dinner first Kcult.

For crunch factor, have you tried pork rinds?
    Calm the f**k down.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I think it's the 'crunchy' aspect of the lil' critters is what I like the most?
    I've found that baking/roasting okra makes them nicely crunchy - I just cut them in half, threw them in a pan and put them in the oven at 425f. I can't tell you how long I put them in for, because I completely forgot about them for a while, hence them turning out crunchy. I'm sure you could google a better/more coherent method if you do want to try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12