Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call to Action. Stop the Farm Safety Enhancement Act page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Call to Action. Stop the Farm Safety Enhancement Act

Primal Fuel
    We all love food here, especially the good stuff. Many of us are living on tight budgets. This bill will not only raise food prices, but make the good stuff more regulated.

I called my representatives. I'm following up this afternoon with letters. I hope you'll do the same.

http://www.anh-usa.org/emergency-act...d-safety-bill/

stef is offline Member
    What exactly is your objection to this bill?

Leahy introduces food-safety bill

By Julian Pecquet - 09/13/10 03:57 PM ET

Senate Judiciary Chair Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) on Monday introduced a bill that would create a new criminal offense for any individual or corporation that knowingly distributes tainted food products. The bill also establishes fines and prison sentences of up to 10 years for those convicted of such a crime.

The new bill, known as the Food Safety Accountability Act, comes in the wake of a massive recall of tainted eggs linked to salmonella poisonings.

Leahy said Monday he has placed the bill on the agenda for his panel's business meeting scheduled for Thursday.

"The American people should be confident that the food they buy for their families is safe," Leahy said in a statement. "The Food Safety Accountability Act will hold criminals who poison our food supply accountable for their crimes. The fines and recalls that usually result from criminal violations under current law fall short in protecting the public from harmful products. Too often, those who are willing to endanger our children in pursuit of profits view such fines or recalls as just the cost of doing business. This common sense bill increases the sentences that prosecutors can seek for people who knowingly violate our food safety laws."

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Done
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    What exactly is your objection to this bill?
    Fundamentally, less law is always better than more.

stef is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Fundamentally, less law is always better than more.
    Less law is preferable to less salmonella?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Salmonella will work itself out.

JWheelz is offline Member
    Here's a great summary of why this law is a terrible idea from the Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund:
    http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/aa/aa-...enate-vote.htm

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    More regulation only hurts the little guy, no matter what the subject.

Not only will it harm small farms, but it'll make conventional products more expensive, and like it or not even those of us who have abandoned conventional products will be affected.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I am opposed to salmonella but I do not think this is the way to solve the problem. This is the nuclear approach, and the brunt of the fallout will be felt by small SAFE producers who don't have the money to kiss FDA behind. The giant industrial farms which are the real source of the problem are much less likely to be affected - except in having an excuse to raise their prices.

If you are concerned about a disease-tainted food supply, buy local! If you can't buy local, find a supplier you can trust and buy from them. They are the ones who would be harmed by this bill, not the actual purveyors of diseased product.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    one aspect, too, of the act will prohibit people from giving away or selling home-grown veggies and fruits from their own gardens, because once you have X number of produce-bearing plants, you will be considered a farm. and it's a ridiculously low number, btw. So, community gardens could be affected, and any back yard grower. it's *messed up*. talked to our reps (via email) last week!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast