Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine skiers....how do you get through the day...??? page

rspacher is offline Member

Alpine skiers....how do you get through the day...???

Shop Now
    I have been primal since May....love it...
    I have no problem working out 3 times a week, lift heavy and run/walk a mile...
    Everything has improved performance wise in the gym...a lot...
    I have much more energy
    Have also trimmed 35lbs of fat off of me...30lbs more to go...
    Should post a before and after pic...my wife is stunned and I am not even done...
    I went skiing last week, did pretty good for the first time out, but I can tell you i ran of gas much sooner than I wanted...that is my legs were fried after 3-4 hours...
    So for those of you that ski, what do you do to help yourself get through the day...
    Do you eat carbs during the day..dried fruit, trail mix...
    Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks

Richard

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    i asked mark sisson this question as I wanted to know the exact same thing...

he said he didn't eat any differently...

i'd take a "larabar" type thing, or sum beef jerky, nuts, trail mix etc...

eat a good balance lunch but wit good fats..

carb reload at dinner, sweet potato etc.

doesn't say where you are skiing. i lived in a ski resort for 4 months and it's very hard to resist the potato, crusty french bread, croissants, blah, blah.

hth?
    Last edited by queen_sheba; 11-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I intend to find out this winter for sure! Based on my experiences with racquetball, if you are feeling lethargic during exercise you probably ought to get some carbs in you, but a little may go a long way. I also suspect that this becomes less and less of an issue as you become more keto-adapted, but that the process probably takes many months. For a while I was running completely out of gas at the 1 hr of singles racquetball mark, but more recently it has not been an issue.

Thanks for replying so fast...
    I never feel lethargic during exercise...just the opposite...
    All of my lifts are going up in weight, my running/walking is now much easier than 6 months ago...
    I have no doubt that i have converted into fat burning
    Its the muscular endurance of the legs that I want to improve...
    Maybe I just need to go skiing more...
    I guess I was looking for someone with similar experiences and had that magic fix...
    In my case I just need to go skiing more and pack some home made Larabars...

thanks

Richard

Its the muscular endurance of the legs that I want to improve...
    hahah - i getcha now. For the first 4 times I went skiing for a week at a time, my thighs BURNT like someone had poured hot lava over them. This was a common complaint of people who came for a week

I only found it abated after a few weeks of consistent skiing.

so YES - go skiing more! lol

where do you go?
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a snowboarder - in the past the first couple of days I hit the slopes I'm only good for about 4hr total... and that's with being "in shape" by CW standards. I do know from experience that Skiing takes less out of me b/c its not as physical for me as snowboarding. When I go snowboarding for a week at my parents house (Sun Valley) I usually loose weight, and we always start the day off with bacon and eggs. lunch is usually homemade trail mix of nuts and dried fruit, once my legs are ready for more than 4hrs of riding. Granted those first few days the longest run I'll take from the top of College all the way down to River Run Lodge - at the beginning of the week I usually need 4-5 *Rest Stops* though by the end of the week that will drop down to 1-2 *Rest Stops* I'll be heading out to my parents towards the end January/Beginning of Feb and I'm hoping that my legs are ready for the slopes... and that my body is ready to *tap in to some of my fat reserves!*

I live in Colorado and ski almost all the time at Loveland...which is pretty high up at 10,600'...
    I can't tell you how much better i get around now that I have gone primal and have been running again...and carry 35lbs less...
    I usually ski pretty much non stop for those 3-4 hours...
    I initially went primal to improve my skiing performance...by losing excess weight and increase fitness...
    This is the most fit I have been in the past 5-6 years...

Thanks

Richard
    Last edited by rspacher; 11-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.

I live in Colorado and ski almost all the time at Loveland...which is pretty high up at 10,600'...
    gritted teeth...lucky git!
    Scottish Sarah

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Has it been awhile since you've skiied? FTMP, I don't find skiing all that draining unless I haven't skiied in ages - then it's hellish and no amount of carbs will fix it for me

I'm betting after you go out a few times your body will adapt.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a snowboarder, not an alpine skier, but I feel I can chime in on this. Often times, inexperienced skiers/boarders will get tired much more quickly due to both a combination of not being used to going for long periods of time and their technique/skill. I know that my first time out, most of my energy was spent getting myself back up after falling. So my suggestion would be to not fall as much.
    I generally keep a protein bar or something in my backpack when I'm out, but often times I'll go from 9 to 4 without taking a break or eating anything. Of course, I'm ravenous as hell when I finally do sit down to dinner, but it's not worth missing powpow time over.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast