Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine skiers....how do you get through the day...??? page 2

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    I found nuts help, they are 15% carbs. I Loooooooooooooove skiing. Yay!
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Last ski trip I had some beef jerky in my jacket for between meals. That kept me going This season I'll probably bring Larabars (didn't know about them last time) and maybe some no grain granola and more beef jerky.

rspacher is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice...
    Always looking to improve technique...
    As far as falling down, really don't fall anymore...
    I am at the point i don't push myself at the beginning of the season, i get a few ski days under my belt before i start challenging my skill level...at the wrong side of 50...it takes too long to heal from an injury...
    I think i am going to try the Larar bar route and see how that works out

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    No snow here yet. Going to spend the next week doing squats, lunges, and lateral lunges. When I start boarding, I am going to keep a pocket full of dried cranberries.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
    ...at the wrong side of 50...it takes too long to heal from an injury...
    ha ha ... silly rabbit, tricks are for kids!
    there is no wrong side of fifty; I am just approaching it, sure, but consider the alternative
    yay you ... fifty + and still playing outside

bwr827 is offline Member
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread, since I'm wondering the same thing as the OP, and some of you who replied may have additional experience to share, now that's it's February.

I'm heading out this week to Lake Louise and Panorama for four days on the slopes. I live in the prairies, so I only get four or five days of skiing each year.

I've only been primal for 3.5 weeks.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I went over Christmas. First time in three years. I was really surprised by how good I felt. Like I'd never stopped. I guess those pistols, shrimp squats, and Bulgarians are doing something useful for my quads. Losing weight helped, too, I'm sure.

As to eating, I ate a huge breakfast. Bacon, eggs, cream, a potato /lots of butter. I took some chocolate and a few nuts in my pocket for lunch and I was good to go.

Gordo

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Beer.

Not entirely joking, especially if you havent been in awhile. A lot of people burn out their quads because they ski tense . I find about 1/2 pint relaxes me just enough to ski easy. Plus the carb hit. But then I am not gluten sensitive.

I'm also planning on hitting the squats and squat holds hard before my ski trip in March.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

bwr827 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Beer.

Not entirely joking, especially if you havent been in awhile. A lot of people burn out their quads because they ski tense . I find about 1/2 pint relaxes me just enough to ski easy. Plus the carb hit. But then I am not gluten sensitive.

I'm also planning on hitting the squats and squat holds hard before my ski trip in March.
    Interesting...I'll have to try focusing on staying loose. So many things to think about, since I'll already have some focus on keeping my shoulders facing forward/down. On steep slopes, I have a tendency to turn my body too much, making subsequent turns that much more difficult.

So for chairlift snacks, what's best? Nuts? Dark chocolate? Dark chocolate-covered nuts?

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Beer.
    Some caution is indicated here. This solution worked a treat my first season. After that, with maybe 30 days under my belt, I wasn't tense anymore and the beer hurt my performance.

Gordo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast