Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfection, worthiness, and being enough right now page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Perfection, worthiness, and being enough right now

Most people who are struggling with their weight are probably struggling with the ideal of what their "perfect" body should look like. I know there are other reasons to do the PB, but I see this so often on this forum ("I'm not losing weight fast enough/I'm so fat and ugly/I hate my body") that I thought I'd share this article.

The main message: You are good enough RIGHT NOW, as you are RIGHT NOW. It's okay to be who you are and where you are RIGHT NOW. You are worthy of being happy with who you are RIGHT NOW. You do not have to wait another 20 pounds or 200 pounds to think you are worthy RIGHT NOW - because you are already worthy, RIGHT NOW.

The longer we put off living because we think we aren't good enough yet, the more time we're wasting.

Here's the article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/11/01...ion/index.html
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

theholla is offline Senior Member
    A beautiful article. Thanks for sharing.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    It's a good message, but I'm not sure I buy into the whole 'worthiness' thing. I want to get leaner and stronger because it would put me nearer my mental image of what I want to be, not to please anyone else or earn more self-esteem from myself. I think a life where you aren't constantly trying to better yourself physically and mentally is a pretty stagnant life. It's fine to accept who you are at the moment - and very healthy as well - but I see far too much total acceptance of a sub-par existence around me, not too little of it. A lot of people in my area could do with a hefty dose of 'I need to better myself'.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I've seen this attitude a lot. Women will put off vacations until they have that bikini body. Because they never get where they want to be, they never take that vacation. It's a waste of life.
    I want to improve my body, I do. But, I'm not going to let the fact that I'm chubby keep me from living. I don't let the fact that I travel alone keep me from going on trips. Just because my life isn't exactly where I want it to be, I'll still party and live and enjoy as much as I can. At the same time, I'm working to improve my health and my strength. I want to be able to enjoy the choices I make as much as possible, and respect myself in doing so.

In other words - woohoo!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    It's a fine line, and an important one. How do I be grateful and appreciate what I have, without settling for less than what's possible? How do I enjoy the journey, without getting hung up on the destination? Work to achieve my goals without thinking less of myself now?

Thanks, Griff, for bringing this up.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    I've seen this attitude a lot. Women will put off vacations until they have that bikini body. Because they never get where they want to be, they never take that vacation. It's a waste of life.
    I want to improve my body, I do. But, I'm not going to let the fact that I'm chubby keep me from living. I don't let the fact that I travel alone keep me from going on trips.
    I wasted my twenties doing this. I never went on a solo holiday till i was 27, I never skied until i was 28 (i thought I was too heavy to) and now i'm setting up my own solo holiday business.

I know i'm still chunkier than the average girl but i've found guys are still attracted to me...very much so...i spent most of my twenties dateless and single.

Don't any of your DARE put your life on hold....it's short and precious.
    xx
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Nice Article!

Primal Fist... I do see what you're saying. But I think some of us (and I am one) have a really hard time with balancing that desire to be lean and work towards a goal without having a huge dose of self-hatred about where we are right now. It's not like feeling WORTHY right now means we "give up", or "just accept" that we won't get to our goals. It's knowing that whatever goals we have and are working on are great, but we have to also be caring, supportive and loving of ourselves right now, and not put our self-approval and self-love off for months/years/...ever.

Some people have no problem doing that and that's great. But some of us equate "working on improvements" with "we suck." And it's that mindset we're working on... not giving up on our goals.

M
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. I needed that.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    Nice Article!

Primal Fist... I do see what you're saying. But I think some of us (and I am one) have a really hard time with balancing that desire to be lean and work towards a goal without having a huge dose of self-hatred about where we are right now. It's not like feeling WORTHY right now means we "give up", or "just accept" that we won't get to our goals. It's knowing that whatever goals we have and are working on are great, but we have to also be caring, supportive and loving of ourselves right now, and not put our self-approval and self-love off for months/years/...ever.

Some people have no problem doing that and that's great. But some of us equate "working on improvements" with "we suck." And it's that mindset we're working on... not giving up on our goals.

M
    Took the words right out of my bread basket.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Primal Fist, I do absolutely agree that there are too many people who don't work to better themselves. But, I think that in a lot of cases that comes from not believing that they can change. I've had a lot of conversations with overweight people who've asked me about weight loss (I've conspicuously lost quite a bit), but they tell me that they can't even make the simplest changes, like getting out and going for a walk every day. I know that couldn't possibly be true, but I think that seeing yourself as capable of getting in shape can require learning to love yourself first: "I may be fat and out of shape now, and the deck might be stacked against me, but I deserve to be as healthy and happy as possible."

On the other hand, there are some people who do seem to be motivated by self-loathing. Just from personal observation, these people typically have a difficult time understanding why finally getting skinny (or whatever their goal was) did not automatically translate into happiness.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast