Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zinc questions... page

lolov is offline Senior Member

Zinc questions...

Primal Fuel
    Before I ask yet ANOTHER nutrition question, I want to thank everyone for being so incredibly helpful and generous with their knowledge and information. I've taken a lot of the advice on the cortisol thread to heart and have made a ton of changes in my supplementation regimen and I believe I'm starting to feel the difference!! (I'll know for sure when I get the cortisol re-tested next month.)

My new question is about zinc. I am pretty sure I'm deficient (after reading through Cillakat's links and going down the google rabbit hole), and my multi doesn't have a whole lot (50% RDA iirc), so I'm considering adding this into the supplement mix. But I'm not sure (and I can't find any definitive info online) about whether or not there's a "better" zinc type/supplement and how much I should take. The things I've read are all over the map but all do agree that it's possible to overdo it and that od'ing is something you want to avoid.

So, how does one know how much to take and whether one is OD'ing or not? Also, does this interfere with Magnesium or anything else (or vice versa?)

I feel like I've read so much stuff that my head is spinning and I can't make heads nor tails about it at this point.

Thanks again for your help

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    This is a really good one and not expensive. I'm pretty sure this is the one Cillakat recommended to me a while back and I love it. And yes, you should take it with magnesium and vitamin D.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals...lets/1361?at=0

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    This is a really good one and not expensive. I'm pretty sure this is the one Cillakat recommended to me a while back and I love it. And yes, you should take it with magnesium and vitamin D.
    but not necessarily at the same time. in other words, timing is not an issue ftmp. zinc does better ito absorption with low fiber foods and without calcium/magnesium but i don't worry about it. I just take it when it's convenient.

This is the one I'm currently using;
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-Opt...sules/738?at=1

I take it approximately every other day. I'll wait a few days though for now as I just six oysters at Parish the other night.

Picture 1..jpg
    Picture 4..jpg
    Picture 5..jpg

Parish Restaurant - I ♡ this place. We sat at the bar just on the 'other' side of the brick column (pillar? whatever...)
    PARISH Restaurant&#32.jpg

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thank you!

Cilla, that restaurant looks awesome!! I love reclaimed spaces!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    mmm i love fresh shucked oysters

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Any thoughts on the zinc content of smoked/canned oysters, I can't find any good data online.

Zinc is a mineral, so I can't see that it would be depleated by the smoking process. Any thoughts?

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Any thoughts on the zinc content of smoked/canned oysters, I can't find any good data online.

Zinc is a mineral, so I can't see that it would be depleated by the smoking process. Any thoughts?
    I eat canned smoked oysters a couple times a week. I don't take zinc on those days because the Zinc is quite high. Here's the nutrition info:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4192/2

Whoa, I see Cillakat already posted that, awesome! They're a superfood

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    In case you find it useful & haven't seen it yet, here is a site with lots of info about zinc:

Linus Pauling Micronutrient Information Center: Zinc
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/zinc/

>> So, how does one know how much to take and whether one is OD'ing or not?
    From the site: "The major consequence of long-term consumption of excessive zinc is copper deficiency. Total zinc intakes of 60 mg/day (50 mg supplemental and 10 mg dietary zinc) have been found to result in signs of copper deficiency. In order to prevent copper deficiency, the U.S. Food and Nutrition Board set the tolerable upper level of intake (UL) for adults at 40 mg/day, including dietary and supplemental zinc."
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 11-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Grrrr... I just got back from the vitamin shoppe and the only zinc supp that they had (that was amino acid chelated) was 50mg dose. Should I take one every other day? Or, assuming I have a deficiency, is it OK to take one per day for a couple of weeks, then back down to one every other day or one every third day?

Sorry for all the ????? I'll return/exchange the zinc I bought if necessary, but I'm hoping I can make it work

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    every other day or every third day even....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast