Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My diabetic friend is going vegan page

jammies is offline Senior Member

My diabetic friend is going vegan

I'm sad. My diabetic coworker/friend announced to me today that she is going vegan . Without thinking - I responded - "hmmm....don't you think it will be hard on your blood sugar if you eat a vegan diet". She responded "the best thing for controlling blood sugar is a vegan diet. My sugars will be perfect on this".

She was offended and defensive - ended the conversation immediately.

I just don't see how this can be good.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If she does it properly, she could be all right. If she does, however, she will be miserable since she will find little support around her. Kind of like what we face, only worse.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    So long as she doesn't fall into junk food veganism, she should be fine. A well-balanced vegan diet should help correct her problem, though it may or may not be sustainable long-term.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Noooooo... I am sorry to hear that. Maybe she will see the light...?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't even a very balanced vegan diet generally be high in grains, fruit, honey, etc. Wouldn't these be bad for blood sugars?

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Is she type 1 or 2? If it's type 1 then a vegan diet is possibly the worst thing she could do, since it's an auto-immune disease and the only vegan protein sources come from soy and legumes, both a really bad idea for auto-immune sufferers if you believe Robb Wolf (which I do).
    If type 2, she could possibly do ok as long as she maintains only a low to moderate carb intake. Most vegans do not do it low-carb however so I don't hold out much hope for her.
    I guess the proof will be in the (dairy-free) pudding

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Get her to read Dr. Bernstein's book. It has really helped a diabetic friend of mine.

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Be her friend! support her, don't alienate her and if/when it doesn't work she could be more willing to listen to your advise.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Give her a few weeks then ask her what blood sugar levels are. Does she test after meals?
    If they are high then introduce her to PB

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your friend is likely a victim of the very active vegan lobby. No, it's not good for diabetics--unless she plans to live on only veggies, but then where would her protein come from? Not many people realize that adequate protein is essential for diabetics.

I second that she at least consult Dr. Bernstein's website to learn about diabetes and food. He gives a scientific explanation about why certain foods should be chosen and others eliminated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast