Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes : Epilepsy Big Fat Lie page

danorsong is offline Junior Member

NYTimes : Epilepsy Big Fat Lie

Primal Fuel
    I found this article fascinating... A High fat no carb diet as treatment for Epilepsy

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/ma...pilepsy-t.html

Dgr_874 is offline Member
    This type of diet for the treatment has been around for decades. It was just getting started in the 20's when drugs came along and took over. I have has a few seizures in the past and follow something like this diet, just not as radical. About 3 months ago I celebrated 3 years with no seizures and have actually come off my medicine. I'm really glad to see diet as a treatment instead of drugs come back.

strom is offline Senior Member
    I wish my sister would eat more fats and lower carbs, she has seizures several times a month, sometime even several times a week. Small ones now, not like the grand mal one she had when she was younger. The article has a ton of junk science at the beginning. Hair fall out, stunted growth?!
    Last edited by strom; 11-19-2010 at 06:28 AM.

danorsong is offline Junior Member
    @Dgr_847 Congratulations that is great... Needing less meds is always a good thing. Did the Dr suggest the diet change or did you just do your own research and make the changes you needed to?

@Strom, when don't they add in junk science, sadly. Well, maybe your sister can be brought round since.. :: laugh :: A reputable scientific source has had an editorial on it. I think my favorite bit about people, some will see it and say, I wonder if it will work for me. The greater percentage will see it and say "Those kids will have heart attacks it's unhealthy!"

Grok is offline Senior Member

chowza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Yeah, but it's not so much about its being "old news" as is its being "deemed big/important enough to make a five-page spread in the NYT online this week." There are lots of things on Wikipedia (or these forums) that have yet to filter out and make a difference in the mainstream.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowza View Post
    Yeah, but it's not so much about its being "old news" as is its being "deemed big/important enough to make a five-page spread in the NYT online this week." There are lots of things on Wikipedia (or these forums) that have yet to filter out and make a difference in the mainstream.
    +1

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    They've gotta all those bad side effects for the CW scare tactics.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    They've gotta all those bad side effects for the CW scare tactics.
    not quite. The ketogenic diet is primarily fat. veggies and fruit and protein are seriously restricted. It is not a balanced diet by any means, and the kids on it do need a multivitamin, although I wonder if using pastured cream and butter rather than conventional would help that.

the ketogenic diet has given science a lot of basic information about low carb diets and how they affect people, but this specific diet is meant only to stop seizures, and typically lasts for a year or two. Definitely not a way of life for an omnivorous species. While it is strict, other people with epilepsy have found relief using a modified version of the atkins diet. People typically try the MAD first, or a low glycemic index diet, before trying the seriously restrictive ketogenic diet.

Interestingly, vets have found that dogs with seizures can be treated by switching to a dog food that is soy and grain free. One such person, "Dogtor J", has a website devoted to healing seizures in animals and people, through nutrition. Fascinating stuff.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danorsong View Post
    I found this article fascinating... A High fat no carb diet as treatment for Epilepsy

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/ma...pilepsy-t.html
    This is not a no carb diet, but low carb. It bothers me how people confuse this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast