Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working up to a proper pushup page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

working up to a proper pushup

Primal Fuel
    i'm the first to admit it, i'm kind of a wuss. i've always been the scronny kid. you would think that carrying a 15lb wiggly weight (aka baby) all day would make me strong as an ox, but i still can't do a proper pushup! this might seem like a stupid question, but are there any exercises that i can do to work up to a proper pushup, or do i just have to try and try again until i can do it? i can keep my body straight, and my core strong, but my arms are just a bit too weak to get myself low enough to touch my nose to the floor and back up again. actually, i can't get down to the floor without feeling like i'm going to drop myself.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    Do them at an angle, such as on a bench or counter, and work your way lower and lower.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I know Mark's PB Fitness e-book goes through progressions that start you out real easy and gradually work you up to the full thing.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    Do them on your knees to start. If's that too hard do them vertical against all wall, move your feet further away from the wall as its get easier.
    Another option is build some strength with dumbells - dumbbell press.

Good luck.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I was able to work up to a full pushup by using the stairs. I started out doing 3 sets of five on the 5th stair, worked my way up to 3 sets of 20, moved down to the 4th stair, worked my way up to 3 sets of 20, and then moved down to the 3rd stair. Once I was able to do 10 on the 3rd stair, I tried the floor, and can now do two proper pushups! Obviously, I still have a way to go, but the stairs provide a very convenient progression.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I know Mark's PB Fitness e-book goes through progressions that start you out real easy and gradually work you up to the full thing.
    +10000 Best progression I have ever seen in my 10 years as a Personal trainer.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JbOu2acx8

top left is all you.

Check parts 2 and so on until you can work up to a proper push up (which I think is step 5 or 6). Do them just like that guy is.

and Uh... I don't think carrying a 15lb baby would make you as strong as an ox! maybe a 400lb baby

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    obviously you have never carried a 15 lb baby around all day! i guess it's more endurance than outright strength. thanks for the tips guys, i'll try the progression.

iniquity- awesome video. i'll probably do more than just the wall pushup!
    Last edited by Saoirse; 11-19-2010 at 12:50 PM.

superjenni is offline Member
    Another vote here for following Mark's ebook progression. I can actually do a few proper pushups after only three weeks. I started at the bottom for every exercise rather than taking the test just to try them all out. The wall pushups were no problem the first workout, but I still felt it. I was able to breeze through the knee pushups and could actually do all 30 in a row the second and third workouts. Next up is the incline pushup if I can find something in my house to use.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    obviously you have never carried a 15 lb baby around all day! i guess it's more endurance than outright strength. thanks for the tips guys, i'll try the progression.

iniquity- awesome video. i'll probably do more than just the wall pushup!
    Of course! challenge yourself, the wall push up is just the easiest way to start, wasn't calling you weak or nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast