Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydration on cellular level? page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Dehydration on cellular level?

Primal Fuel
    I posted a blog on my CW site saying I am not dehydrated, even though supposedly LC people are. Someone said it is dehydration ona cellular level because of depleted glycogen stores. Well, they didn't say it as properly as all that.

Anyway, what is the answer to this? I know we loss 'water weight' and excess glycogen. But how do I discuss it?

Unless someone wants to help a sister out...lol You can view/reply here...lol

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...792545&h=13475

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Water is stored when glycogen is stored. No question.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My question is: what's the downside of this "dehydration"? If the body needs less water when in a keto state, why is that a bad thing?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree Lizch! I don't see it as a bad thing, which is why I want info to debate the bozo

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap! Just read the responses, Tublady reckons she never eats over 1000 cals? How does she get throught the day?!

On the 'dehydration at a cellular level' issue. I think it's nonsense to suggest that your body uses the water stored with the glycogen in muscle when exercising to re-hydrate itself as such. Glycogen is broken down into glucose via a process called hydrolysis. That means that water is used to convert the gylcogen to utilisible glucose. Glycogen is a very large molecule that is made up lots of chains of about 13 linked glucose molecules (I got my textbook so I wouldn't spout a load of crap). In order for these glucose molecules to be used as fuel a water molecule is used to chemically break apart the polysaccaride.
    So granted, you need water to access your glycogen stores, however if his point is that you are dehydrated because you don't have the water attached to your muscle glycogen, my point would perhaps be that if you only store as much water with the glycogen as is needed to break it down.

I don't know if that makes any sense, it sounds right in my head but that doesn't mean much

Re-think, you may store less water if you store less glycogen, but you need less water as you don't have to break it down.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 11-18-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added last sentence hoping I make more sense

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    For every gram of carbs, your body retains approx 3grams of water. So when on a low carb high protien diet, you lose this excess water, hence the initial weight loss. Now personally I don't care if I lose water or fat in the early stages. Water loss is good for reducing blood pressure and it decreases the volume of blood, and this decreases blood pressure.

I wonder why we do store more water with carbs? Is it becuase water is a buffer and we were never meant to eat so many carbs and its the body's way of coping?

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    If you are getting enough fats in your diet, your body will make all the glucose you need. You don't need to eat carbs to have glucose circulating in your body. If you are not eating enough fats, then I could see where you might run into a problem.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    A hundred and fifty pound person can have as much as half a pound of glycogen stored up if they are eating enough carbs to do it. Glycogen, however bonds with water molecules so half a pound of glycogen looks like give pounds of weight. So, when one goes low carb and or fasts there is a potential for five pounds of "water weight" to be absorbed into the skeletal muscles and liver. It's enough to be visibly noticeable as well. As one's muscle mass increased the amount of water weight goes up as well so, the effect could be even more dramatic on heavier people.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that the water held by glycogen is not functionally useful to the cell, other than for hydrating the glycogen.

It's like putting a glass full of water on your desk and saying "this glass is holding water on my desk, so my desk is wet"

A cell packed with glycogen has water associated with it and people seem to equate "this glycogen is holding water in my cells, so my cells are hydrated"

Does that make sense?

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrated on a cellular level? They are just making crap up in a desperate attempt to not be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast