Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and primal - info please! page

Fern is offline Senior Member

Question Diabetes and primal - info please!

My FIL was just diagnosed with diabetes 2 days ago, my MIL already tries to eat primal as much as she can and now with this new recent development FIL says he will give it a 2 month trial. SO I am needing some info to give him on how being primal helps and why, or any personal stories of success from anyone here to help keep him motivated. He is in his 70's but he is pretty active and still works a full time job and such, the only thing he said he will not give up is his nightly martini. So any info, advice, anything you all can give me would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I have been type 1 for 23 years now. Years of CW eating gave me retinopathy, neuropathy and kidney damage. It was impossible for me to control my blood sugars while eating a high carb diet. I know of people who have completely reversed their T2 diabetes from eating low carb. it's simple- control your blood sugars or this nasty, insidious disease will get you. I don't mean to seem alarmist, but your FIL needs to start controlling his blood sugars now. if he does that, he will be able to lead a normal life. At the moment his pancreas isn't producing enough insulin to deal with carbohydrates efficiently, leading to high blood sugar. So eating high carb foods only makes the problem worse.

A friend of mine runs this site http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

Your FIL should read his story.
    Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 11-18-2010 at 02:35 PM.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    No personal experience, but all the diabetic low-carbers I've encountered online highly recommend the book "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Revolution." It's specifically about a low-carb diet as the best treatment for diabetes. Not primal per se, but the insulin control issue is what's central. He goes into all the science and focuses extensively on blood glucose control, I believe.

Thank you guys so much! I will check out the link and get looking for this book to get him.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I'm a diabetic and my sugars never go over 120 any more. And I don't take insulin, and I don't take medication. I do it entirely by eating Primally. He can do it too.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone actually have Type 2 and have any feedback. My sister and dad are both insulin dependent and have been most of their lives. My sister has an insulin pump, which has helped, but it would be nice to have some info. from someone that is insulin dependent that has done this diet.

Griff- Not sure if you can enlighten us more or if there would be a big difference since you don't take insulin. ??? Honestly have no experience personally.

My sister is currently cutting back on sugar. She is a sugar junky. She has already cut her insulin and I would like to share more info. with her. Dad is a lost cause. He won't take care of himself no matter what anyone tells him.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I have my struggles with keeping things strictly primal, but the effort itself has brought blood sugars down from dangerous to high side of normal. For the time being, I am off of all medication and my last A1C was within normal range--not sure if that's going to hold or not, as I've had more slip-ups/indulgences/times-of-trouble in recent months than earlier.

For me, Bernstein would be unbearable and, I'm convinced, unhealthy; others swear by it. It's interesting to consider, for sure. Whatever works that keeps you happy.

I relish my 20 percent--I'm into enjoying my friends and social situations and love of good food as much as possible, so I've done a lot of experimenting, which I don't mind sharing, though others would find this irresponsible. Beware--this may not be wise or advised and I would imagine some here would highly disapprove, which is fine by me!

In descending order of "bad for the blood glucose": Oats are the worst for me, and I just don't eat them; dense breads are a close second, and I don't eat those either; then pizza, which I cave into sometimes; then pie, which I only eat if it's homemade, which means I have to make it for a special social event, which means I've had about 5 tiny slices of pie in a year; then cookies, which are ubiquitous but usually bad, so I can say no; then cake, which I don't crave; then donuts, which I will eat if someone literally puts one in my hand, sorry but it's true. So--oats, dense grains, or processed grains plus sugar are the danger zones.

Sugar itself--just enough to make something a little sweet--doesn't have a big effect.

Honestly, I can't remember eating pasta in over a year, so I have no idea, I'd have to reread my journal to jog my memory.

Rice is a crapshoot--can be totally bad, or make no difference. Beats the heck out of me.

A slice of good bread is an indulgence my body seems to ignore, but it's a rarity. A slice of bad bread, on the other hand, has an immediate effect, and I do my best to avoid unless it's a social situation where picking the meat off a bun would be crass or begging an explanation--in which case, I eat as little of it as possible without being crass.

My only regular (once a week, tops) grain cheat is a Wasa rye cracker when I'm craving a traditional cheese vehicle, and one or two make no real difference.

A small piece of fruit--or half a banana--when eaten with something protein or fatty--makes no difference.

I pretty much throw caution to the wind when it comes to good ice cream. The fattier it is, the less it affects my blood glucose.

At first very low carb brought my numbers down drastically. Through trial and a lot of error, I've recently found that very-low-carb is now making my morning BG creep up more elevated than I'd like it to be--it seems that my morning number is where my other fasting numbers of the day like to return to, so the lower in the morning is good. Adding carbs back in is keeping it down--but if I add more every day, once again the morning number creeps up.

But it seems that what works changes constantly, and I'm sort of letting go micro-managing, because it drives me (literally) insane. He will just have to decide what works for him. For me, balancing "I'd like to live another 50 years" is hard to balance with "Can I live with this for another 50 years?" Your father's age and how advanced the diabetes is might make a real difference in how he decides to eat, and I think every diabetic is owed the respect of deciding what their priorities are.

Exercise can be really, really helpful as well--even just making myself stand more than sit at work makes a difference; a nice long walk makes a big difference; even a few baby-pushups and almost-squats makes a difference.

Also, something I wish I had known and that I think every diabetic should know--is that diabetes can masquerade as depression, and depression is more common in diabetics. This is true after diagnosis--AND also before. There's a link that just isn't understood. The two track each other. Just something to be aware of.

I don't call what I do "primal"--not with others outside the forum, and not with myself. I just say that I avoid most grains as much as possible, limit processed foods, avoid added sugars, and watch how much fruit I eat. That said--I'm very, very (very very very) thankful for finding this site and way of eating, even if I deviate more than might be Primal Kosher.

Good luck!
    Last edited by gottaluvalab; 11-18-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Griff- if I remeber right you stay VLC right? Does it matter if its under 100 or does it need to be at 75 or even 50? I know its different for everyone I just really want to give him all the info that I can.

Betty74- it really sucks when your parents don't care, both my mom and dad are like that. It makes me sad that they won't be around as long as they could be.

Gottaluvalab- you are awesome for posting this, this will be a huge help. He eats pretzlles (sp?) Every night and he said he will miss them the most. But just knowing what and what does not work for you I think will give him encouragement. He is very active, so I'm glad I don't need to try and get a couch potato moving.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    Griff- if I remeber right you stay VLC right? Does it matter if its under 100 or does it need to be at 75 or even 50? I know its different for everyone I just really want to give him all the info that I can.
    I do my best to stay under 50g per day and I mostly succeed.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What Griff said. I was diagnosed several years ago. I used to use metformin and insulin and eat a CW diet, but now I eat fairly low carb (but I don't count carbs or calories or anything) and now my sugars stay below 120. I also feel way way better all the time. I used to be sick all winter, heal slowly, catch every cold, always get the flu. Now I'm almost never sick. Oh, and I've lost 60 lbs over two years, (but I took 4 months off the diet during a personal crisis, and regained 20, which I had to lose again. Don't ever do that, it sucks).

I don't eat: sugar, honey or other caloric sweeteners, grain, or milk
    I only eat fruit once a month, usually not even that, but I will have a piece of melon in the summer, or a handful of berries, or an occasional apple.
    I don't eat a TON of sweet potatoes or squash, but I eat them occasionally. I don't eat corn, and I don't have carrots every day, but I do eat them.
    I try, but fail, to limit how many nuts I eat

I eat unlimited amounts of all the other veggies, meat, fats including butter, olive oil, lard, and coconut oil.
    I eat cream, full fat yogurt and occasionally I eat cheese, usually not very often, but often a big serving when I do (because cheese is my soul mate)
    I use Unsweetened Almond Breeze.

If pork rinds don't freak him out, they might be a good sub for pretzels.

Breakfast is usually eggs, salsa, sometimes bacon or sausage, or ham

Lunch is usually leftover dinner or a hamburger patty or meatballs with greens, veggies, tahini or ranch dressing (homemade)

Dinners: veg and meat lasagna, spaghetti sauce over zuchs, roasted chicken, shepherd's pie, pepper steak, taco salad

Dessert: tea with almond milk or cream and sweetener, cocoa with sweetener, sweet potatoes, no crust sweet potato or pumpkin pie but usually I prefer to snack on salty stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast