Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Carbs? Fruit vs root? Sugar vs. Starch page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question Best Carbs? Fruit vs root? Sugar vs. Starch

Primal Fuel
    So I know theres no truly correct answer if we live a varied primal diet, but i wanted to know your thoughts as to why you might prefer either fruity carbs, or starchy carbs like yams and potatoes.

After workouts I tend to go for banana to recover, but Mark recently recommended yams as great post workout carbs. What are the main advantages of one over the other? Bananas are convenient and eaten raw, but are there reasons starch is much better?

Your thoughts please

Thanks
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    either one is fine...its when you eat excess of what your body uses in a day that there are problems. people like to bash fructose but if your not overeating then theres no problem with fructose.

personally... i found my body(everyone should find out for themselves...go by feeling) like starchy tubers, sweet taters, yams, celeraic, rutabaga more than winter squashes. also, i digest everything home free if it is cold. so i usually roasted or nuke a crapload of starchy roots/tubers and put them in the fridge...then gorgs when i feel like my body wants it

Omphaloskeptical is offline Junior Member
    The sugars/carbs in potatoes, yams and other root vegetables are lower in fructose.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...uide-to-sugar/

I don't know what exactly it is about fructose, but I'm better off eating a potato (any variety, higher carbs) than an apple. Who would've thought?
    Last edited by Omphaloskeptical; 11-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Im thinking just to keep it well rounded, Ill do one piece of fruit and one piece of starch a day and see how I feeeeel
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Avarim is offline Member
    Just finish my post workout meal:

2 lbs of sweetaters & yams
    7 oz of grass fed meat
    some ghee & herbs for flavor

Im currently trying to gain some mass (quite underweight here), so Im basically carb cycling...2 or 3 days LC ( 50- 60 grs aprox) but high fat (kerrygold & ghee just vanish on those days) then 1 day HC (close to 4 lbs on sweet potatoes & other tubers...I dont mind going over the uber danger carbzone), It has work wonders, muscles are growing nicely.

Also I have starting supplementing with gelatin, I just make some chai tea put the dissolve gelatin & you got yourself a chai jello!, you can do it with coconut milk (Im allergic to coconut, but I know it will taste heavenly) or any other stuff you want. I take it at night before bed and also when Im IF (before workout)

From my personal experience, muscle growth is almost 0 if Im not taking starch, fruits just doesnt agree with me, so... Starch all the way baby! (besides we have amylose for a reason!)

localad is offline Senior Member
    amylase
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Avarim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    amylase
    Sorry...english is not my mother language.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Would not have known..your written english is better that mine! Amylose is the starch, amylase is the enzyme that breaks it down. It is the 'first' digestive enzyme, ie in saliva (spit). To me that indicates, as you say, starch all the way baby! Looks like we evolved to get the goodness out of hard to dig up starchy roots. Readily available Mars bars are just a bit too much of a digestive system overkill (literally, for many people!)
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Starch. glucose is not a neolithic agent, but fructose is. That being said, fruits are probably fine in moderation.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another vote for starch.

The only fruit I eat now is avocado, the occasional tomato, and coconut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast