Thread: Best Carbs? Fruit vs root? Sugar vs. Starch page 2

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarim View Post
    Just finish my post workout meal:

2 lbs of sweetaters & yams
    7 oz of grass fed meat
    some ghee & herbs for flavor

Im currently trying to gain some mass (quite underweight here), so Im basically carb cycling...2 or 3 days LC ( 50- 60 grs aprox) but high fat (kerrygold & ghee just vanish on those days) then 1 day HC (close to 4 lbs on sweet potatoes & other tubers...I dont mind going over the uber danger carbzone), It has work wonders, muscles are growing nicely.

Also I have starting supplementing with gelatin, I just make some chai tea put the dissolve gelatin & you got yourself a chai jello!, you can do it with coconut milk (Im allergic to coconut, but I know it will taste heavenly) or any other stuff you want. I take it at night before bed and also when Im IF (before workout)

From my personal experience, muscle growth is almost 0 if Im not taking starch, fruits just doesnt agree with me, so... Starch all the way baby! (besides we have amylose for a reason!)
    This is interesting, hadn't thought about using starch to help muscle gain, could explain a reason why I reached a plateau a while ago and gave up?! I thought I'd covered every aspect of gaining but had just reached a limit. hmmmm. I take it HC days are workout days? and your post workout meal is quite big, can I ask what time of day you train?

btw whats the gelatin for?!? you didn't say! sounds interesting, wondered what would happen if you put it in coffee or hot choc.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Another vote for starch.

The only fruit I eat now is avocado, the occasional tomato, and coconut.
    Fair enough, I know we shouldn't let CW get in the way, but is a tiny part of you not think that maybe at least one piece of fruit a day would be a good idea? Just to make sure your not missing out on anything? Not criticising just questioning Afterall, it is called MarksDailyAPPLE!.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Here is a thread on this same topic from the archives:

Starch VS. Fruit--which is better?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hich-is-better

Also, the Perfect Health Diet is all for starchy carbs (less so fruit, although they include that as well, but do discuss keeping your fructose intake to under 50 grams a day.) Kind of a starchy twist on paleo--here is a discussion about it w/ links: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ct-Health-Diet

I say try going no fruit for a couple weeks, and using a bit of starch, then doing the opposite, and seeing what feels best _to you_. I've found eating lots of fruit leaves me w/ more food cravings and less able to IF. Eating a little starch (but not too much!) doesn't seem to impact me nearly as much as all the fruit. Larger amounts of starch though (say, more than one servings worth a day) TOTALLY has me carb craving as well, and I will also start getting bloated asap if eating too much starch. (I'm not Perfect Health Diet material, as far as the starch goes, although I find the book and site helpful in other ways.) Small amounts of lower fructose fruit (1/2 cup of berries, etc) is really no big deal in the cravings department. I'm really still working it all out for myself, and find including small amounts of either does not impact me negatively, but larger amounts of either is not a good thing for me. That said, YMMV!!

^ Thanks! Just missed thispost after my last one! interesting links

All of this also really depends on your body--are you insulin sensitive/resistant, are you looking to lose weight or gain weight, do you have fructose intolerance/malabsorption issues, etc.? (Folks w/ metabolic syndrome may need to eliminate or restrict _both_. Folks looking to gain muscle etc may want to add both. It all depends on you.)

As for the Mark's Daily "APPLE"?, fruits do contain many antioxidants, but for the most part, nothing in a fruit cannot be found in a veggie or other food, from my research.

This is interesting too on fructose malabsorption from Emily Deans' blog:
    http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...-fructose.html

You mentioned bananas in your first post. FWIW, in the above link, bananas were not considered bad for folks w/ fructose malabsorption issues b/c their glucose to fructose ratio is pretty equal (I think maybe even more glucose than fructose.) (Starchy carbs like potatoes are almost all glucose, from what I've read.)

Oh, google "Sugar, the bitter truth" for a pro-starch argument that many here have found quite convincing. Again, I *believe* he says something like 50 g fructose a day is not harmful, esp in the form of fruits.

Good luck on figuring what works best for you! This is a topic I am interested in well, hence the serial posting! (sorry! )

Avarim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    This is interesting, hadn't thought about using starch to help muscle gain, could explain a reason why I reached a plateau a while ago and gave up?! I thought I'd covered every aspect of gaining but had just reached a limit. hmmmm. I take it HC days are workout days? and your post workout meal is quite big, can I ask what time of day you train?

btw whats the gelatin for?!? you didn't say! sounds interesting, wondered what would happen if you put it in coffee or hot choc.

HC days are WO days

I train usually in the am..say 11:30 - 12:00, then I take my meal about 1 hour after (Iīm not hungry before that).

I really think my PW meal is not that big, (I eat 3 meals a day) considering that I have to take more than 2.600 cal to gain.
    And if you dont EAT you dont GROW, really simple, really true.

The jello is for added proteins and aminoacids that are usefull when diet is high in muscle meat & low on..let say marrow & bone broth. Also I think it could be useful as a pre WO meal on IF days (provide proteins with little cal) but this is just personal belief, although I think itīs working!
    Last edited by Avarim; 11-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    For me it's simple; more than a little fruit seems to have an adverse affect on me (sore mouth, sick feeling in my stomach, gives me the shits, sometimes itchiness, sometimes hives), plentiful starches do not.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    personally, i do better on fruit than starches.

while i do eat root veggies, i do find them "addicting" and that they "weigh me down" (feeling). i do better if i eat vegetables and have a bit of fruit. on occasion, sweet potato "fries" (made in the oven of course!) are great--particularly when dipped in an home-made aoli!--but i do better on fruit myself.

that's just me, though, and i know this about myself after years o' experience.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I'm fascinated how people are different.. I find it interesting reading to see everyone's experince. Myself, strangely enought feel wonderful on fruit. Granted it makes me a little hungry if not taken with protein. But I did experiement with fruit till 2pm, and just meat till 2pm. Fruit made me feel light and I was bouncing with engergy and I had no cravings, just natural rumbling tummy being hungry. Meat til ttill 2pm, gave me indigestion..that bile feeling at the back of the throat, like my stomach was all churned up. I've done this a few times now with the same result. I think my happy medium may be more fruit, but WITH some protien. I have done some of this too.. eg lamb leg steak with some strawberries for breakfast with no digestion problems at all, and no hunger.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post

Good luck on figuring what works best for you! This is a topic I am interested in well, hence the serial posting! (sorry! )
    Thankyou! Don't apologise!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast