Thread: Lentils for carbs? Chana dal? page

Viking is offline Senior Member

Lentils for carbs? Chana dal?

Shop Now
    I'm getting back into Primal after a few weeks of slovenliness but need to go higher carb than before -- I had a really hard time getting sleep on very low carb. I tried adding more carbs from sweet potatoes and sometimes a bit of brown rice; that triggered more eating of carbs and I fell off the plan.

I will be more careful and not use rice (high GI). I'm wondering about lentils, or maybe chana dal. I know that legumes are supposed to be off the primal foods list. I have not had problems with beans other than some gas. I have never noticed any problems other than that. On the other hand I feel like cr*p the day after eating wheat anything.

Sweet potatoes are nice but don't really go with many dishes.

How bad is it to eat a few spoonfuls of lentils? What should I watch out for? Should I eat these at bed time or separately from other foods? THANKS for any ideas.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to use legumes, make sure you are soaking them first.

I don't think that a few spoonfuls of lentils is going to make you or break you, but what about exploring some other carb options first? Lately I've been loving winter squashes - they are in season, high in fiber and starch, but low in sugar - a very Primal low-GI carb! Beets, carrots, parsnips, and plantains are other primal carbs you can experiment with.

I'm not familiar with needing carbs to sleep though (I sleep like a brick, regardless of what I eat!), so someone else might be more helpful in regards to timing.

And I personally will eat sweet potato with anything
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, I would try other primal carby stuff first but if you know that lentils don't bother you or trigger cravings I don't see the harm in it assuming you don't have any autoimmune conditions, leaky gut, or blood sugar problems and you always eat them with fat and in the absence of wheat....haha, and in small portions of course. I love lentil soup with spicy sausage and spinach in it

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    If you are going to use legumes, make sure you are soaking them first.

I don't think that a few spoonfuls of lentils is going to make you or break you, but what about exploring some other carb options first? Lately I've been loving winter squashes - they are in season, high in fiber and starch, but low in sugar - a very Primal low-GI carb! Beets, carrots, parsnips, and plantains are other primal carbs you can experiment with.

I'm not familiar with needing carbs to sleep though (I sleep like a brick, regardless of what I eat!), so someone else might be more helpful in regards to timing.

And I personally will eat sweet potato with anything
    @theholla -- I understand winter squashes to have high GI so I need to avoid most of that. Parsnips GI = 95 or so, so nix on that too (for me). But you are right, I should look into other sources as well. Thanks.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    You can buy sprouted lentils (or make your own). Maybe those are a bit healthier (??) if you do want to eat them. Personally I really like them in beef stew, although I haven't put them in there recently.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    @theholla -- I understand winter squashes to have high GI so I need to avoid most of that. Parsnips GI = 95 or so, so nix on that too (for me). But you are right, I should look into other sources as well. Thanks.
    Weird...my source (http://www.glycemicindex.com/) has butternut squash listed at 51 and parsnips at 52. Go figure!

Good luck experimenting with new veggies - I always have a lot of fun trying out new foods.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout