Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perils of Skipping Breakfast.... page

Js137 is offline Member

The Perils of Skipping Breakfast....

Primal Fuel
    http://www.coreperformance.com/daily...breakfast.html

If only the body was so simple. How can so many "experts" ignore the research on body fat set points and metabolism? FWIW, I think this particular poster (who I believe owns Core Performance) does have some really good ideas on exercise. On the other hand, I ate dinner last night, got up this morning lifted some heavy weights and did some intervals on the rower. After that I had some carrots, coffee with heavy cream, and Kombucha (spelling??). I'm still not terribly hungry and I feel great.

I do have a question here though - Is the advice given in the link above correct if someone is following the SAD? I know when I was following this advice when I did attempt to fast occasionally and skip breakfast it took an amazing amount of willpower. Felt the same at lunch after my bowl of oatmeal with raisins, nuts, and fruit. Now that my carbs are in check a lot of days I probably end up with under 500 calories total before dinner.

Thoughts?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    He's just repeating what he's heard/read. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know about the studies surrounding fasting, I don't think he's ignoring them, I think he's ignorant they are out there.

Eating 2 to 3 hours is the worst thing I ever tried to do. I say tried because it was too hard unless I ate tiny meals that never satisfied me. It was a royal pain planning 6 meals and sometimes it was worst to eat the same thing 6 times. Even if a "meal" was a sandwich or a salad, it was just flat out annoying to try to eat so frequently.

One of my bosses seems to never eat. He sips coffee and sometimes has a sandwich or chips or whatever, but NEVER takes an actual lunch break. He's gone entire 8-5's without eating. To cap it off, he usually goes to a bar to drink after work so most of his calories come from beer and bar food at least monday through friday, his body comp is normal, he's not fat and not skinny. What I take away from that is that he's eating shitty food, but not enough of it to make him fat. He's so used to it he doesn't get too hungry. There is the possibility that he munches more often than I can tell since he's in the cube after mine, but when I walk past his desk there's only evidence of food 20% of the time.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm a leangains style daily IFer and I, for one, do not even recall the last time that I had breakfast. Here's what Martin Berkhan of leangains has to say on the subject and I agree 100% with him on this. Kelloggs and a host of registered dietitians love expounding the concept that if you skip breakfast your day will be ruined and you'll spiral perilously into a vicious cycle where you gain weight and will be unable to think or accomplish anything as you do it. It's utter tripe. It's common knowledge now though so, almost everyone on the planet believes it.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Any organization that can dispense the phrase "Part of this nutritious breakfast!" when referring to a bowl of colored sugar can't be trusted.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    My husband never puts food in his mouth before 4pm for as long as I've known him (11 years) because he said it nauseates him. The last thing anyone would call him is fat. You - breakfast = fat is a broken equation.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Ughhhhhh this old junk again *face palm*
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

As to your question. As to your question. Your body will not start catabolizing muscle for several days after last protein feed. Skipping breakfast will not cause muscle loss.

Skipping or eating breakfast (or any meal or snack for that matter) is very habit forming. Our bodies tend to secret the hormone ghrelin at times when we're used to being fed. So, whether or not you're eating SAD or primal if you're used to having breakfast it takes a while to get used to not having it.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I HAD to eat breakfast pre-PB because of the monster sugar crash that would quickly take me out if I didn't. No longer a problem.

Js137 is offline Member
    Thanks for all the comments. It really is difficult to think critically and question societal norms.

Daemonized - I love that link. I had seen the older version, but not the updated one!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    It is amazing how Conventional Wisdom has brainwashed so many people. I used to follow that holy dogma (you must eat EVERY 2-3 hours), and I was so nervous throughout the day. I made sure I ate something, or else, I believe, my metabolism will shut down and I will gain weight.

I am like Deamonized. I do the lean style gain fasting every day. My metabolism hasn't slow down. The primal meals keeps me full so I CAN do 16-20 hours IF. There are articles that describe the health benefits of IF and Calorie Restriction, but many today will dismiss it because it doesn't flow good with the accepted conventional wisdom dogmas.

It simply a profit making scheme. Think about it. If you are told that you must eat breakfast, and you must eat every two hours, then you are going to buy cereals, bars, etc, made by those "trusted" companies (because we are told that grains/whole grains are good for us). You are going to eat those children cereals, even though they contain all that sugar, because the box said it is very nutritious.

If more and more people start living primal, and start implementing IF in their lives, cereal companies will disappear. No more cereals. No more cereals bars. No more pasta., etc.
    Last edited by Zed; 11-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast