Thread: Pork - not organic page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Pork - not organic

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I've just been asked if I want to buy some pork from a farmer I know - it works out about 3.00 per pound for a freezer pack. Which is very good.

BUT - he doesn't believe in organic farming and says there is no such thing as organic. I have little idea of what his pigs eat, but I know they live outdoors and roam about. No idea about his views on antibiotics etc.

I can't decide whether to buy it - or pay more for meat I really know? What would you do?

He has also offered me loads of fat to render down - but how do I know if I end up like full of antibiotics??!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    The only way to know would be to approach the guy with a specific list of questions. How are we supposed to know what he does with his hogs?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I've texted him to ask - what are they fed, is there much grain etc.

And I realise you don't know what he feeds the pigs any more than I do - I am not assuming that you have amazing psychic gifts! I really wanted to know how much of an issue it is with people on this forum what the beasts they eat have eaten?!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    If the pigs live are pastured then that's a good thing. I don't think that there is as much of a differentiation as there is with grass/grain fed beef. I'd buy it.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    $3 a pound is really good for pastured pork, hopefully he feeds them more than corn feed.